G&P 1 watt won't work with protected 3.7V cells? UPDATE#2 JUST BLEW, NOOOO!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap. I just put 2 batterystation 3.7v 900mah protected cells in my G2 with a G&P 1 Watt and McE2S 60 ohm 2 stage tailswitch and it won't light on high. I dont' get it. At lighthound, the description clearly states that it will work in a 9P/C3 etc. It will light on low just fine, but when I switch to high it flashes for a nanosecond and goes out. When I put primaries back in there it works fine. I hope the 3W version works with the protected RCRs, or I won't have a light to put them in!

Arggh. The emitter just went real dim on my. Think I fried it? I'll try taking the emitter off my TLE-5 and see if that works... arghh. If this doesn't work I will have NO lights until some orders come it! NOOOOOOOOO!:drool:

Update 2: I just replaced the batteries with fresh set of PRIMARIES and it blew. Only a tiny corner of the die lights up like its just a tiny arc or something. CRAP. I HAVE NO LIGHTS! ARGHH!

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: G&P 1 watt won't work with protected 3.7V cells? UPDATE. JUST DIED ON ME...

Whew! that was close! Luckily the emitter from the TLE-5 works fine...

deeplog

Newly Enlightened

My G&P 5watt drop in LED bulb fried when I ran it with two 3,7v - 750 mAh r123a protected batteries. Now it´s just a little dim light dot. I thought these where compatible with 3,7v batteries. It worked fine for maybe five minutes then it died & wont light up anymore, even with primary cells.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder what the deal is? I was really hoping to use RCRs' with the G&P 3W. This is teh suxors...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a new issue. After I swapped emitters, I notice that after a few seconds, it dips down in intensity and gets a little blue. I wonder if its a heat issue.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
well, I guess these are supposed to be used up to 6V, not 9V... you should contact lighthound, tell him what happened.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
I've never played with 1W modules, but I am using 2 unprotected RCR123 3.7V cells to power my Seoul'ed G&P 3W drop-in, and it works just fine. I ran it continuously in a 6P for an hour and a half and saw no issues whatsoever. Not sure how the circuitry in those 1W modules differs.

Drop in intensity + spectrum shift towards blue is most definitely a heat issue. How much time did it take before it happened? Was it a matter of seconds (which would be an indication of excessive current through the emitter and/or poor heat transfer from the emitter to the heatsink) or minutes (whole module getting heat saturated - perhaps because of the plastic body of a G2)?

Flashing for a fraction of a second before going sounds like a protection circuit kicking in. That shouldn't be happening at 1W power levels :/

And the emitter finally blowing up... That does sound like the emitter was really being overpowered :/

Anyway, it's all speculation at this point. Get a multimeter.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... I never had a 1W, but my modded 3W works fine on either 3xR123 cells or 2x17500 cells. It gets warmer than on 2xCR123 cells or even 3x123 cells which I always thought was odd, but whatever.

I've probably run it through 10 cycles of 2xR123 cells and it seems just as bright as it ever was.

I'd call them and see what they say. Mention that you are a prominent member of CPF. If nothing else, maybe they'll replace it as an act of good faith. But...

DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

icon10.gif

Metrotex

Newly Enlightened
Did you get it from ehobbyasia.com? Those guys are crooks! Theres a reason Surefire will never die, it's companies lilke ehobbyasia.com.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
I got mine there. In fact, I bought a bunch of stuff from ehobbyasia AKA airsooftshooting on ebay, and had nothing but good experience every time. Do you have any reasons to believe that the same exact module from "the other guys" is going to be any different - except for price tag?