Please help me identify this SureFire flashlight(if a fake!?!?)

ptolemy

Enlightened
hi all

i'm new to flashlight world, i got this from my friend as a thank you for doing him a favor

he said he ordered the highest Wattage he saw on ebay...

they take 2 x cr123 batteries and flashlight is steel/rubber(feels awesome) and comes with a puch

i dont know if its real or not, i'm just curious if its 1w 3w or 5w (i have no clue, but its bright heh!)

if you need high res pics pm em email and i'll send ya ya those

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0085.jpg

my hope that it's not 1w but at least 3w :(

thanx guys:)

BBL

Enlightened
This is no surefire, no doubt.

18W? consuming energy is one thing, emitting light another...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's such a poor fake, they didn't even get the name right. Surefire is the quality company. But there are cheap knockoffs that acutally say Surefire.

It comes down to this, if you are buying from a reputable company and it costs more than $100, it's likely a real Surefire. If you're buying it off eBay or a cheesy website and/or it's less than $100, it's not a real Surefire.

Having said that, if it's reliable and you like the output, it doesn't matter what the name is.

Edit - and welcome to CPF!

ptolemy

Enlightened
BBL said:

yes i was sure that it is not surefire:) was just saying the way it said in the picture

cratz2 said:
It's such a poor fake, they didn't even get the name right. Surefire is the quality company. But there are cheap knockoffs that acutally say Surefire.

It comes down to this, if you are buying from a reputable company and it costs more than $100, it's likely a real Surefire. If you're buying it off eBay or a cheesy website and/or it's less than $100, it's not a real Surefire.

Having said that, if it's reliable and you like the output, it doesn't matter what the name is.

Edit - and welcome to CPF!

thanx:)

i doubt my friend paid $100, seems it was more $30 :)

any way i can somehow identify whether it is 1w or 3w (somethign very easy/simple, thats would give me at least 80% certainty)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, without taking scientific tests, it's pretty much impossible.

If you feel up to it though, you can try and take the head off and see if you can very gently lift up on the star (LED) and see if there are markings on the back of it. You might have to desolder the LED though. But for comparisons sake, what's in it is only part of the equation. There are different drive levels, different amounts of internal resistance, quality of reflector and lens. These all play a part in how bright a light is.

ptolemy

Enlightened
i tried to post and the forum hanged for me:)

i was thinking of using recharables and time it

assuming 1w and 3w have diff power consumption levels(3w should drain it a lot faster) maybe we can make a guess ?

i have 900mah batteries for the job

Scattergun

Enlightened
And If I was to guess, I´d say no Superfire light ever used a Lumiled or other quality-brand LED, wich means the emittor will probably be some sort of Chinese knockoff without markings. So don´t hope for a quick answer by pulling it apart!
However the chinese LED´s aren´t really that bad, and if you like the light and it gives a decent output, just leave it with that and use and abuse it!

ptolemy

Enlightened
Scattergun said:
And If I was to guess, I´d say no Superfire light ever used a Lumiled or other quality-brand LED, wich means the emittor will probably be some sort of Chinese knockoff without markings. So don´t hope for a quick answer by pulling it apart!
However the chinese LED´s aren´t really that bad, and if you like the light and it gives a decent output, just leave it with that and use and abuse it!

not night here yet, i tried in the bathroom but its not as dark as i knowe

i'll try to take a snap at night and maybe u guys can take educated guesses :D

k1rod

Newly Enlightened
BBL said:

:lolsign: They must have achieved that by installing a big resistor across the battery pack. I wonder if the body of the light gets hot?:whistle:

mdocod

Flashaholic
um.. 18W? out of 2 CR123s. That's over 3 amps. runtime should be about 5 minutes before the cells suffer thermal shutdown. Then you might be able to get them to turn on again after they cool down for awhile.

I wish they would have just left the wattage game alone on this one...

It's probably an overdriven LuxIII equivalent.

LightInDarkness

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest you say thank you to your friend for the light. It is not Surefire but if it keeps you from falling down a dark stairwell .....
Sounds like a most thoughtful gesture. If he isn't familiar with Surefire and read the name on that light in a hurry......it could happen.
Just thank him for the SuperFly.....I mean, opps.....it could happen.