Cree drop-in mod for SL Twin Task!

connortn

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on retrofitting one of Lighthounds Cree LED drop-in for flashlights that use a p60 into a Streamlight twin task. To do the mode, I'll have to shorten the reflector from about 1/16" to 3/16", depending on the route I take. Can anyone give me an ideal of what this will do to the beam? I'm thinking it will widen the side spill but don't know what to expect about the center spot. The drop-in I received has great tint and is brighter than anything I can imagine needing.

I decided to use the twin task as I already have one and I like a side clickie.

Thanks for any info....

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Can you give link where lighthounds thread is at for the cree's? I would love to do this mod since I have a TT2L that I messed up trying to replace the 3 led's with nichia's.

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Farscape105:

I purchased it at: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2605

It will require an aluminum sleeve to go over the drop-in to have good metal to metal contact with the host light body. That, and removing the spring, removing the original led and xenon circuit board and soldering the drop-in on to the switch assembly. The switch on the twin task is for switching between two light sources and so will require a jumper to make sure the led goes on and off without having clicks that do nothing.

It will take me a few weeks to get everything done in my spare time. I'll try to post some pics when finished. If the LED only version of this light uses the same body, it might eliminate having to use a jumper on the switch, that is if it only clicks on and off with no extra clicks for a dimmer light or strobe or something.

Let me know what to expect by shortening the reflector. I think I'll only have to shorten about 3/32 inch at most.