Why is regular HA so dark nowadays!!??

mudhole

Newly Enlightened
So today I got a new Z57 tailcap from surefires RMA dept,only two weeks I'm impressed.So I dig through the small brown box and whip out the Z57 that's enclosed in the plastic bag,and the first thing to fly out of my mouth is,"G@# D&%* SOB!!!!,this is black!!! . . . waituh sec?"

Is it me or is regular HA starting to look like HAIII black?:huh2:
Why the change?

Martini

Enlightened
With mil-spec HA, the color is directly related to the thickness of the oxide layer. The thicker, the darker. You might not like the color that much, but it will be tougher (if only marginally so). Aesthetically, I prefer a medium grayish-green, but I find it hard to complain about increased durability.

mudhole

Newly Enlightened
well . . I think it has to do with some sort of heat treatment . . .If you get let's say a C2 centurion body strip everything of so that all you have is the body,If you get it hot enough after a long period of time the HA will fade . . :grin2: .

oven,electric stove burner fire place . . I've taken the newer darker stuff and lightened it up so It looks just like the stuff from the old days(01ish-04ish)

mudhole

Newly Enlightened
Martini said:
With mil-spec HA, the color is directly related to the thickness of the oxide layer. The thicker, the darker. You might not like the color that much, but it will be tougher (if only marginally so). Aesthetically, I prefer a medium grayish-green, but I find it hard to complain about increased durability.

oooooo OH well in that case I like mine extra dark:lolsign: ,but sometimes it's nice to lighten em up a bit.