Tri-LEDs, why not lights other than SF and Mag?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering why lights other than SF (via artists like Milkyspit) and Mags (via artists like mac) aren't used for Tri-Cree, Tri-SSC, Tri-Edison, or even the old Tri-Lux setups. I know the head size is the main requirement, but there are other lights out there that seem to have a large enough head like:

- Wolf-Eyes Eagle-3 (not sure the head diameter, but if it's the same as Eagle-4, then it's 1.77")
- Various Dealextreme, Kaidomain, and QCG lights like the QCG Ultrafire C2 (big head)

These would seem to be lower priced alternatives for a Tri-LED setup since the starting base is much cheaper than a SF base, and they'd be much smaller than a Mag setup.

Just curious.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old 6P and 2 dealextreme lights here for modding (single emitter multilevel).

The machining of the cheaper lights is much worse and those will be my lent-around lights. The SF is for me.
If I ever get a suitable circuit :rolleyes:

Danbo

Enlightened
Good question, as I have a near mint condition Inova T5 laying around, and have entertained the thought of having it modded.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well SF has sex appeal, and mag lights are usually disappointments so making them spit out 500 lumen's like a M6 is nice, plus runtime is great mags are huge.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never done any of the Surefire mods, but I've done several multi LED Mag mods... The answer for me anyway is that the 3x and 4x heatsinks are readily available and are drop-in parts. I assume, jsr, that you've never done a tri Lux mod yourself, right? There's a lot of things going on there... distance down the head that the heatsink goes, distance between the star (or emitter) to the lens to hold the reflector in place. This things just magically work if you use the heatsinks, IMS20s and Maglites. I'd imagine extensive modifications would need to be done to get those heatsinks to fit in the Wolfeyes, if not an entirely new machined part.

Almost anyone that can read and solder and have abit of patience can build a tri Lux light starting with a Maglite... it's just throwing parts together. It would take a lot more with just some other random light where the dimensions will be all off.

But all this is besides the point because even after you had the light all put toether, it would only last you a couple days from the looks of your sig line.

nana.gif

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments guys. I do understand the prestige of the SF Tri-LEDs, but they are very pricey. I believe the parts for those are custom made also by Milkyspit. Mags are cheaper and easier to get as well as their parts for Tri-LED setups, but they're so huge relative to the SFs.

I just see the Wolf-Eyes and Ultrafire setups as being more cost-effective Tri-LED setups than the SFs while being considerably smaller than the Mag setups (offering a nice blend of the two currently available options). The SF and Mag parts are all custom...just somebody at some time took the time to figure it out and make it in semi-production. I'm sure someone (the same people maybe) can figure out a heatsink for the W/E or Ultrafire (just need the depth calculated...where does it sit in the body?, how deep are the reflectors that are typically used such as McR17s and IMS17s?, and thus how thick do I make the heatsink so the reflectors will be held snugly in place?). I'm sure the people that made the first Mag parts went through the same process to figure out how thick the heatsink needed to be, etc. And I'm sure Milky went through the same process when he does his awesome stuff.

Yeah, I don't own a Tri-Cree. The Mags are too big for me and the SF setups too pricey for me. That's why I thought about other options. I do want one, but the currently available two options aren't ideal for me.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
modamag said:
That's an easy question.

1. availability & cost (Mag)
...and a distant second...
2. prestige (SF)

Fixed. :D

Maglites are available everywhere, have an unbeatable balance of durability and cost, and are relatively easy to work on.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you saw the quality of craftsmanship that went into my Red Dragon TriLuxV, you wouldn't be saying that "anyone" could throw that together. Some TriLux's are made of MUCH higher quality materials than others....you would have to see one of Icarus' lights in person to understand.

I am not disagreeing with your post. I do think that building a basic trilux is easier than some people think. But to build one on the level that the masters build on here....good luck :laughing: Once you see their work in person, you will know why they are the "masters" :)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman - check out Milkyspit's creations. He typically uses the SF KL2 head for Tri-LED setups.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strauss said:
If you saw the quality of craftsmanship that went into my Red Dragon TriLuxV, you wouldn't be saying that "anyone" could throw that together. Some TriLux's are made of MUCH higher quality materials than others....you would have to see one of Icarus' lights in person to understand.

I am not disagreeing with your post. I do think that building a basic trilux is easier than some people think. But to build one on the level that the masters build on here....good luck :laughing: Once you see their work in person, you will know why they are the "masters" :)

:twothumbs...:thumbsup:...:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strauss said:
If you saw the quality of craftsmanship that went into my Red Dragon TriLuxV, you wouldn't be saying that "anyone" could throw that together.

Was this directed at me?
str.gif

I have to assume so because I'm the only one that mentioned 'anyone' being able to throw one together.

If so, I fear you completely missed my point. I meant specifically that using a Mag, a prefab heatsink, IMS20s and a driver is a no-brainer.

On the other hand, LOTS of work... well beyond my abilities... goes into doing the same thing in any other housing.

I'm a novice modder at best. I would literally have no idea how to even start modding an M6 into an 7x Cree light and I'm the first to admit it. I think a lot of times, we entry level modders have even more respect for the high level guys than the folks that have never even tried modding. How your guys stuff comes out looking perfect... Man.

You guys
buttrock.gif

I, on the other hand...
hahaha.gif
cratz2