best light for police use

Flash-addict

Newly Enlightened
just like the title. looking for either an incandacent or led. has to have a decent runtime of at least 3 to 4 hours or close. rechargeable. up to 150 lumens or close. has to at least be close as bright if not brighter than those darn heavy maglights. dc charger for charging in cruiser. any suggestions.

mudhole

Newly Enlightened
10x dominator from surefire,500 lumens,rechargable in and out of the cruiser,has a secondary 65 lumen setting aswell,If your going led you might want to try the L7 from surefire . .100 lumens and rechargable aswell.

Flash-addict

Newly Enlightened
and one more thing. small enough to clip on to my tactical vest. about the size of the l7 surefire or l2dce. thanks

cal..45

Enlightened
my fenix L2D is on "turbo" mode (135 lumens) constantly bright for about 100 -120 minutes, depending on what kind of storage batteries I use.

it is constantly bright on "high" mode (80 lumens) for about 180-240 minutes.

with its 147 mm lenght you have a good grip on it, its not too small and almost exactly as long as a double AA mini maglight but WAY brighter.

it has no dc charger, but it might be easier anyway to have one or two pairs of spare AA with you. however, external dc chargers can be bought for just a couple bucks in every super market.

regards, holger

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never liked the 10X, but the 9N fits the bill:
* car jack charger possible
* bright enough
* tactical momentary switch
* good size
* runtime on high not sufficient, but coupled with the secondary bulb for low light tasks quite enough (PS: try to get an aftermaret/homemade batt stick with actual cells. I get some 1 h 35-50 mins from my newest 4000 mAh cells)

as long as You do not have to do an extended large area search, the power of a Fenix L2D-CE will be also very good, and this light is much smaller and cheaper.
The white led-light will have the output of most incands look much weaker

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
Flash-addict said:
just like the title. looking for either an incandacent or led. has to have a decent runtime of at least 3 to 4 hours or close. rechargeable. up to 150 lumens or close. has to at least be close as bright if not brighter than those darn heavy maglights. dc charger for charging in cruiser. any suggestions.

JetBeam IIx with 2 AA tube. Weighs about 50 grams plus cells, 150 lumens max output (about an hour in this mode?) runs like a dream on NIMH rechargeables. Cost about $80. HAIII body, optical quality sapphire lens, Cree LED will never need replacing. Compared to the 2 AA Fenix, it's tougher, a little brighter, has a better optical system and beam, and costs about $30 more. Compared to the Surefires, it's smaller, more versatile in terms of cells, has a whiter beam, and is fraction of the price.

Last edited:

cyberindie

Newly Enlightened
I second the Inova T4 suggestion - I have one and works well. About the right size - not so small to be hard to handle but not so big it's a chore to carry around.

You can leave it on continuous charge - and has a 12v car adapter charger as well as regular mains adapter.

It's also water resistant - fine in heavy rain but not a torch for underwater use!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also like to suggest the T4. I had one of the older styles with the trios optic, and did not care for the ringy beam that much. They have now redesigned the light with a reflector, and it looks MUCH better.

The light is plenty bright(~85 lumens) and runs dead flat regulation for 2hrs. And the light is built like a tank, just like all of the inova lights. I think the size, brightness, ease of recharging, and it's rugggedness would make it a great duty light.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should look at the new Lumapower and Huntlight offerings.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure your getting the newer version with the reflector and a K2 led. I'm waiting for mine to come in now. I like to carry my SFL5 as a back up light and I'm running it on Li-Ion 17650's, I'm trying to find an extra body so I can get it bored out for 18650's to get a longer runtime.

Last edited:

dw51

Enlightened
No one has said it yet, so I will. Streamlight Strion. Out of all the lights I own, I still think this is one of the better lights suited for "normal" law enforcement functions. A lot of lights are marketed towards the "tacticool" crowd, which makes up a very small minority of law enforcement. The Strion will take care of most everything required of a belt carried light for 99% of the cops out there. It is small, bright, and easily rechargeable (Stinger style charger) in the home or car. Give it a look.

Edit: I didn't see your 3-4 hour runtime requirement. I don't believe the Strion will get quite that much runtime. You may give it a look anyway.

Flash-addict

Newly Enlightened
dw51 said:
No one has said it yet, so I will. Streamlight Strion. Out of all the lights I own, I still think this is one of the better lights suited for "normal" law enforcement functions. A lot of lights are marketed towards the "tacticool" crowd, which makes up a very small minority of law enforcement. The Strion will take care of most everything required of a belt carried light for 99% of the cops out there. It is small, bright, and easily rechargeable (Stinger style charger) in the home or car. Give it a look.

Edit: I didn't see your 3-4 hour runtime requirement. I don't believe the Strion will get quite that much runtime. You may give it a look anyway.

thanks. i was thinking of the streamlight but my mind drew a blank when thinking of the name.:lolsign:

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight makes some very good lights. I currently have 4 of them, two scorpions and two Stingers. The stinger line is rechargable and with the 3600mah super-battery, you get double the run time with it. I would say a good two hours.

I have converted one of my Stingers to and HP and threw in the LED for about 12 hours of operation with bright white light. It won't throw 150 lumens, but I know it throws more then 100. Hard to beat the package.

Good luck!

Rob

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once it proves itself to be reliable in heavy duty applications, I think the LumaPower M1 Hunter will be an outstanding choice. I used to think the Strion would be the ideal small LE light, but the M1 has as much throw, 4 times the runtime (when using an 18650 cell) and adds a very usable low setting.

Biggest hinderance is the cell can't be charged while in the light.