LED at Dollar Tree

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
I just walked into a new Dollar Tree store that opened up here. Among the several lights they had (all of which only cost a dollar), there was a 3 LED light that runs on 3AAA batteries.

Anybody familiar with this one? Is it even worth $1?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Never found one when they were reported some time back. I seem to remember folks saying they were fairly bright and white and probably worth a dollar. Anything that lights up is worth a buck. :laughing:

Geoff

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
They are definately worth a dollar. Good for an emergency of something. They had a problem with frying the leds because of the high voltage running direct drive from 3 cells. It would be wise to add a 1 ohm resistor in there to keep them alive.

Mike

Newly Enlightened
We got a handful of them around Christmas. We haven't used them much, but I thought they were a good deal at $1 each. Great for a kids light.

Monolith

Enlightened
Other threads say to use a 10ohm in series (see 1 ohm posted above also). This is a must do or the LEDs burn out within an hour or so.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found one. The kids think it's neat. I tried using carbon-zinc (a.k.a. "Heavy Duty") batteries, also bought at the dollar store. I thought the cheap batteries might help the LEDs live a little longer.

Nope, they're burning out just the same. One is getting much dimmer than the others. Oh well.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 3AAA carrier in it can be used in place of a C cell in some lights to boost the voltage. I used mine to make a 2C ROP. Runtime is about 20 minutes till it starts getting dim.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
the 3AAA carrier in it can be used in place of a C cell in some lights to boost the voltage. I used mine to make a 2C ROP. Runtime is about 20 minutes till it starts getting dim.
I woulda never thought of this, neat idea! It'd beat the 3 CR123s in a 2D I'm using.

moon lander

Enlightened
bought 3, cant complain, lots of parts for $1 (3leds, a switch, 3AAAholder, some plastic etc.) maybe 3 smjleds would solve the current problem (80 ma each)

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Genxsis said:
I just walked into a new Dollar Tree store that opened up here. Among the several lights they had (all of which only cost a dollar), there was a 3 LED light that runs on 3AAA batteries.

Anybody familiar with this one? Is it even worth $1?
I bought one out of curiosity a couple of months ago. It was actually a serviceable general purpose, around the house light -- gave it to a kid for Christmas. I'm sure the reliability is wretched, but the reliability of anything given to a young kid is pretty bad anyway.

c_c

Latest posts