L1D-CE - Couple Questions for the Experts

Budman231

Enlightened
Couple Questions...

1. Does anyone know how the twisty works with Normal / Turbo Mode for the L1D-CE.? Mechanically and/or Electrically how does it work ?

2. How does the momentary push of the tailcap switch change the brightness levels ?

Budman

mchlwise

Enlightened
I'm certainly no expert, but I'll give you my basic understanding:

1) The electric current has two paths to go from the tail cap/switch to the head from the battery. The threads are not anodized on the body or the head - this is one path. When the switch is switched on, the current flows through the body and through the threads to the head, and the light turns on at the low level.

When the head is tightened down all the way, the end of the body makes contact with the board in the head. This provides a second path for the current to flow, and when the driver senses this additional current, it switches to turbo mode.

which brings us to the second question, which is closely related to the first:

2) The output of the light is controlled through the driver, which is kind of like a very small computer. The circuitry of the driver is pre-programmed to deliver certain amounts of current to the LED when certain conditions are met.

When the driver is receives current through the threads, and has not received current for over 1.5 seconds, it will deliver "low" level current to the led, and the led comes on at the low level.

The switch, being a "reverse clicky", disengages and cuts off current with a slight press without being fully clicked.

When the current is cut off, and then restored within a time period between 0.0 and 1.5 seconds, the driver switches to the next pre-programmed level. If current is only coming through the threads, the driver will follow the "general mode" programming.

When the driver senses current coming from the threads and the board-contact path, the driver will follow the "turbo mode" programming.

I think. :shrug:

Budman231

Enlightened
Well that sounds like a reasonable explaination sure enough. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. This is a very cool light indeed. Not to mention how incredible is is that they fit all that smarts into an incredibly small space in the head of the light... IC's are amazing and what more amazing is how they integrate it the mechanics of the light itself ...