a crap load of info!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been rummaging thru my extremely cluttered bookmark file on batteries, bulbs, etc etc, and found this one::
http://data.energizer.com/

It has all sorts of info on lights, bulbs, batteries...Just use the pull down menu's in the frame on the upper left side of the page...

--dan

DonL

Enlightened
dan, that's a great link! I noticed that when they start listing out the specs for their flashlights, they actually give lumen ratings. Some of them, however, seem, er, umm, "optimistic" to me. That also doesn't address beam quality but can be a point of comparison to other lights.

Perusing some of the specs, I'm confused about one matter, though.

They list the EL123AP at 3.0V, with a 1300 mAh capacity.

Also is listed is the EL223AP, which acording to conventional wisdom is essentially two 123s in a common housing. Volts are listed at 6.0, with only a 1400 mAh capacity.

I'm not an electrical savant, so it would appear to me that the mAh rating for the 223 should be alot higher than what's shown.

Can someone please explain this to an idiot like me?
confused.gif

danno

Newly Enlightened
The fact that the 123 and 223 batteries have approximately the same mAh rating is expected because the 223 operates at twice the voltage of the 123. Think in terms of stored power (mAh multiplied by volts). The 123 has 3 volts times 1300 mAh of power (3.9 Watt-hours) and the 223 has 6 volts times 1400 mAh (8.4 Watt-hours). If the 223 had both twice the amperage and twice the volts of the 123, it would have four times the stored power of the 123.

JoeyL

Enlightened
I found this analogy helpful.
Pretend the battery is a container of fluid with a pump, putting out fluid instead of electrons.

The MAh capacity of the battery is equivalent to how much fluid it holds. The higher the MAh capacity, the more total energy flow it produces.

The voltage is equivalent to how hard the the pump forces the fluid out. So a higher voltage pushes the electrons out more forcefully but if the MAh is small, it wont last very long.

This isnt a perfect analogy, but it helped me comprehend it.

DonL

Enlightened
danno and JoeyL, many thanks. I was getting alot of terms mixed up, and those explanations cleared things up.

Now, if I can only remember if high-viscosity is high-flow, or high-viscosity is low flow, or if low-viscosity is high flow...
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

(I actually do have that straight, really I do.
smile.gif
)