looking for perfect fairly universal flashlight

defusion

Enlightened
Here's a list of things i want on my perfect flashlight, and am hoping someone out there knows just who makes it, or what i need to mod it together with existing parts.

- Normal size, i like my fenix L2D-CE, but it may be a bit longer and thicker (i dont want an very small one that you need to hold in your fingers, but it should be concealable enough using a belt holster, so no mag 2D and up size)
- Lots of blinding lumens + 2 more normal modes (500 lumen, 250 lumen, 50 lumen (and maybe an uber low output mode of around 5 lumen for reading))
or maybe even better, a stepless variable output.
- focusable beam (maglite-ish)
- rechargeable batteries (a proper solution, not 3x rechargeable 3v CR123A's, as they often can't handle the current for the high output very well)
- proper switch for modes and on/off, twist to change the output mode (mechanical memory), obvious dual-stage button, press half way for on (with an obvious increase in pressure needed to press trough), and press all the way for stay on, if on, press half way for temporary off and completely for switch off
- rugged design (should survive a 10feet drop repeatedly)
- flame resistant
- waterproof to about 30feet (10m)

Or is this near impossible, as i want to many features while still having a very rugged light? or am i, as my title says, unenlightened to all the possibilities?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
None that I can think of. An L2 or L4 with two-stage switch meet some of your criteria, but not close on the output. A seoul-modded HDS EDC also gives great options, is rechargeable and has multiple levels, but will max out at around 110-120 lumens, at best.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

You don't want much... do you! :)

Actually, your lumen figures are a bit unreasonable given current technology - maybe in a year or two you will be able to find a light that has everything you want.

Best wishes,
Bawko

defusion

Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye said:
None that I can think of. An L2 or L4 with two-stage switch meet some of your criteria, but not close on the output. A seoul-modded HDS EDC also gives great options, is rechargeable and has multiple levels, but will max out at around 110-120 lumens, at best.
i was thinking, maybe a dual/tripple seoul on max power with a nice head would do the trick, but i'm not sure about the focusable beam thing in this case.
http://www.zled.com/ says 1 led does 240lumen at the bulb, so tripple should be able to get 500 out of the head i think.

as you can see, i don't really care much about runtime, or i'd rather max it out with the best batteries i can get + the variable output (no one needs 500 lumen all the time)

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I forgot about the focusable beam on my two recommendations. A member here named milkyspit performs some very nice mods, including multiple-emitter/reflector setups, but that throws the form factor right out the window.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
defusion said:
Here's a list of things i want on my perfect flashlight, and am hoping someone out there knows just who makes it, or what i need to mod it together with existing parts.

- Normal size, i like my fenix L2D-CE, but it may be a bit longer and thicker (i dont want an very small one that you need to hold in your fingers, but it should be concealable enough using a belt holster, so no mag 2D and up size)
- Lots of blinding lumens + 2 more normal modes (500 lumen, 250 lumen, 50 lumen (and maybe an uber low output mode of around 5 lumen for reading))
or maybe even better, a stepless variable output.

Or is this near impossible, as i want to many features while still having a very rugged light? or am i, as my title says, unenlightened to all the possibilities?
250 lumens is blinding, not normal. Yes, it's nearly impossible -- you're not going to get all of this in one light. You're going to need several lights.

Please tell us what purposes you need a light for. Then a realistic solution can be found.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm...... I'm working on a design for a torch that goes one step further than your criteria.......... complete color control of the beam. Imagine six LED's, 2 reds, 2 greens, 2 blues.... all in an inclosed "mixing" chamber, with individual output control for each LED.

Depending on the cost, I'm hoping to be able to include a color temperature sensor in the chamber and actually allow the "photon master" to simply dial in the color temperature they desire, with virtually unlimited memory spaces for tint and output level combinations.

Now.... we direct the "mixed" light into a dual rod (inner/outer) light pipe. The center light pipe feeds up to an optic and straight out the front of the torch for maximum throw, while the outer ring of the pipe feeds up into a concave mirror which relfects back down to a specially designed reflector for maximum smooth, creamy, floodyness (similar to how many current automobile headlghts are designed).

I don't quite have the mechanism down for how we direct the "mixed" light into each pipe (possibly a pivoting mirror) .... but...... it will be a simple device, and allow either full flood, full throw, or any combination of the two.

The UI will be tricky, but I think I have that down to 2 rocker switches.

Of course, this might be slightly larger than what you are looking for, but it should be pretty cool. Stay tuned.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your willing to spend the $$$ I think it could be done. Perhaps a 2 "C" batt light running 4 Cree`s. Bet one of the excellent modders around here could fix you right up.

defusion

Enlightened
GeorgePaul said:
250 lumens is blinding, not normal. Yes, it's nearly impossible -- you're not going to get all of this in one light. You're going to need several lights.

Please tell us what purposes you need a light for. Then a realistic solution can be found.
my purpose of this light is to not need more than 1 light. basicaly i want to be able to do pretty much anything with it. from reading to using it as a searchlight to blinding people at 5 to 30 feet away. and i want to have it with me all the time. no need for pocket size, but small enough to not look like the security guard with a 4D mag-lite.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams3 said:
If your willing to spend the $$$ I think it could be done. Perhaps a 2 "C" batt light running 4 Cree`s. Bet one of the excellent modders around here could fix you right up.

Ditto. With thermal issues taken into account, I think the head would need to be at least a Mag C/D size. Either 3 or 4 Crees or SSCs could get you to the 500 Lumen level, and either having two stacked regulators or something like an NFlex with 8 levels should be possible. And if you don't mind sacrificing runtime, you could drop to a single 18650 cell (the size of 2x123 cells). And some (at least one) of the modders can further cut down a 2C Mag and replace the stock switch with something on the tailcap.

This is pure theory though. I don't know if the current requirements would exceed what the NFlex can handle or what a single 18650 can supply.

Having said that, 500 Lumens is a LOT! And as far as throw, I don't think the 4 Crees each with a small reflector would be able to reach as far as a single Cree, SSC or even a choice Lux III would with a dedicated single throw reflector.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

You did not mention it to be a led but current single led design may not go more than 140 lumens. However multiple led setup could do it. My personal opinion is that, current production may not achieve your specs but a modded one could. Of course modified lights poduce the output which is desired but something got to give. You may have problems in the supply side and thus to produce such lumens require a larger heftier power pack. Standard configurations may not be sufficient and thus 4,6 or even 8 cells sometimes would not be enough to get reasonable runtimes. So the best bet is to look for a combination which would then be acceptable to your needs.

defusion

Enlightened
leukos said:
A Surefire M3 modded by Milkyspit with multiple crees, FLuPIC, and a beam diffuser.
I was looking at his stuff, and a M3 with 4 leds sounded very promissing.
he claimed about 30min runtime on rechargeable batteries, with 512lumen (4x luxeon V) a cree should possibly be even better then (either in the lumen or runtime department).

jumpstat, i doesn't have to be a LED, but i do feel that normal bulbs are fairly fragile. I haven't tested it, but i somehow doubt one to survive a 10 feet drop.