self defense with LED?

viorel00

Enlightened
I noticed that some LED flashlight are pretty intense, they could make someone blind, temporarily, so I wonder if instead of pepper spray, women can also use LED flash light now.

have you even heard of such a case?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not even car headlights on high will make it as hard to see as pepper spay.

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
Well, you shouldn't expect the same effect as OC/CN gas, but high output light in the face of someone whose eyes are dark adapted will certainly "stun" them for a few seconds. It may give you enough time to get out your OC/CN gas, run or pull something, umm, with a little more punch. Surefire's web site has plenty of customer testimonials from people who have escaped harm by stunning an alleged assailant with a light. I think the M1 has the power to stun, but the tailcap doesn't lend itself to that function. It's one thing the Surefire momentary switches are great for.

Gaffle

Enlightened
I can't say that I have personally heard of it, but I am looking at a light that will have the potential to blind. One of my reasons to purchase this light is so that my wife can carry it at night. It would for sure blind someone and give you time to get away. I am sure if you searched via Google you could find some stories of bad guys getting blinded.

Do I like the idea of a someone carrying a small high power light to blind someone as a deterrent? Hell yeah I do. IMO, the flashlight would have more range then some kind of spray.

The problem is that I will blind myself numerous times before a stranger gets a taste. Someone must be a guinnea pig!:grin2:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, women can use LED flashlights now too; all any user needs to do is press the switch. Anyone can.
As a self defense device for the average person on the street? Only in fantasies and marketing materials. Regardless of what you might read on "some web site," I can only suggest that you not be lured by such claims and have your safety or that of your family compromised.

viorel00 said:
I noticed that some LED flashlight are pretty intense, they could make someone blind, temporarily, so I wonder if instead of pepper spray, women can also use LED flash light now.

have you even heard of such a case?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an LED, but the Tigerlight might be of interest to you. It is a very bright flashlight, and inside it they have pepper spray. You hold the flashlight with your thumb on the end, flash them with a quick blast of super strong light. Then you quickly turn the flashlight beam to the ground, which points the pepper spray at them. When the flashlight is pointed at the ground, they open their eyes back up, just in time to get blasted with pepper spray.:mecry:

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I don't know i have seen too many "cops videos on TV where the cop maces or pepper sprays a guy and the guy keeps on coming at him.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill97z said:
I don't know i have seen too many "cops videos on TV where the cop maces or pepper sprays a guy and the guy keeps on coming at him.

LOL
Then imagine how much of a detterent a flashlight in the eyes are...

Seriously people, flashlight arent weapons, unless it's attached to a gun or you have one that's big enough to use as a club. A bright flashlight COMBINED with something else MIGHT give you an advantage or a couple of extra seconds, but for heavens sake dont only rely on a flashlight to save your life.

Last edited:

slim shady

Newly Enlightened
Seriously........If someone really has intent to do bodily harm,a flashlight
will not stop them.Unless you hit them over the head with it.
Edit beat me to it

lightbug

Enlightened
hmm, you can use a small flashlight to poke their eyes out :naughty:
2AAA flashlight perhaps!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best thing you can get for a woman to protect herself, aside from some common sense and hopefully the ability to avoid as many negative situations as possible, is agressive self defense classes. Too many attacks come completely blindly so there's a very good chance that neither OC nor a light will be able to be deployed. A calm head and the physical ability to get out of said situation are the greatest assets.

Now, if a gentlemanly thug tells her from fifty feet away that he's pondering attacking her, then I'd think OC would have a better chance than a light.

Mike89

Enlightened
If someone is going to use a light as a defense and that person was intending you harm from the gate (or the light might even result in provoking harm when it wasn't going to be the case to begin with), the light is just going to **** him off more and probably result in you getting the crap kicked out of you worse than if you hadn't done it, plus after he kicks your ***, he will probably steal your flashlight!

I can picture a guy who owns one of those multi functional Fenix lights, telling the assaulter to wait a sec while he's finding the right mode to shine at him. LOL

Or picturing some paranoid dude who always walks around at night with a flashlight in his hands waiting for someone to pop out of the bushes so he can shine the light in his face. Assaults don't happen that way. They happen when you're least expecting it or prepared for it. Surely no time to react in a split second to reach in your pocket and pull out a flashlight.

If my wife got confronted like that, I would want her to run like hell and scream bloody murder. I wouldn't tell her to reach into her purse, pull out her flashlight and shine it in the dude's face.

These are flashlights guys. I know we like to dream up all this stuff we're going to do with them, but having one in your pocket doesn't turn you into Clark Kent.

Last edited:

T4R06

Enlightened
more blinding is use incan..
my wife will be going to edc my E2D w/ lumensfactory EO-E2R LA. loaded w/ AW's 2 x R123 3.7V