Fenix P1D-CE vs. L1D-CE - Throw & Sidespill only?

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought both a Fenix L1D-CE and L2D-CE and am very impressed with the overall output and throw..

I am using the L1D-CE as a helmet bike light and it works very well in that regard. I am interested in the P1D-CE as a possible helmet light also. Running in the primary mode it gets a little longer burn time than L1D, but I am interested if there is a difference in the amount of throw and sidespill of the 2 lights..

Any input greatly appreciated..

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I have both and I reckon the P1D-CE and L1/2D-CE beams are very similar in terms of hotspot, spill and throw.

Personally I think an L1D-CE would make a better bike light (especially a helmet mount), simply because it'll be much easier to change modes. Changing from turbo to strobe is a simple rear button push as opposed to several bezel twists.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
As far as the light use, I only use 1 mode.. For the L1D, it is high/turbo and if I buy the P1D it would be primary mode for optimum burn time..

I used the strobe mode one night and it was great for me as far as being seen, bad for drivers looking into the light..

For those interested, it was 3.5 hour runtime in strobe mode with fully charged 2650 duracell nimh..

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
In that case, it just comes down to your battery preference and whether you like the slightly smaller size of the P1D-CE.

In terms of output and beam, L1D-CE/NiMH turbo = P1D-CE/CR123 primary

The P1D-CE will last longer but cost more to feed unless you use RCR123s, in which case it'll be brighter, not regulated properly and possibly have a shorter runtime.

Both are great torches!

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I was just curious if there was any visible difference in the throw and sidespill.. If not I will just stick with L1D.. I thought the P1D would have a little more throw..

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1D-CE is not any brighter with a rechargable than it is with a primary. That is a mis-conception....in fact, it runs better with a primary as all modes work properly. With a 3.7V RCR, every mode is "high". But "high" is no brighter.....

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Strauss said:
The P1D-CE is not any brighter with a rechargable than it is with a primary. That is a mis-conception....in fact, it runs better with a primary as all modes work properly. With a 3.7V RCR, every mode is "high". But "high" is no brighter.....

No misconception. With a 3.7V it'll be brighter on "primary" mode, which is what socalrunner is planning to use the torch on.

FASTCAR

Banned
I don't get how people use these tiny bike lights.Unless it is bright where you live.

I have a mount for my PL24 and use the diffuser.Less then thet seems useless. I do off road though.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
This light is in addition to my handlebar light.. A helmet light is a must for being seen, you can direct the light directly at a driver and it will stop them in there tracks.. I used the strobe mode one night and was afraid of giving someone a seizure..

It also helps seeing through dark corners..