I want the best AA mag lite sized light avail!! Help me find it!

short1uk

Newly Enlightened
OK guys my brother has given me the task of finding him the best AA sized mag lite torch around. He has looked at

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Surefire L2 Digital Lumamax

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Surefire U2

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax

[/font]
Has anyone got any suggestions. He says price is not important as once you have bought a decent torch you need never buy another!

(unless your addicted like us! God i love my Orb)

Any ideas then?

Cath

Jasmes

Enlightened
We should just set up a forum bot to respond "L2D-CE" to these sort of questions. :D

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played with U2s, but never owned one so I won't comment.

I've owned an L2 and an L4. For me, the L2 is too long. On that issue alone, I'd go for an L4 with a 2 stage tailcap. Plus, you get to choose how low you want your low setting to be.

Personally, with some of the Cree lights out, I don't know that a Lux V light is the way to go. They privide a much more floody output, but something like the LumaPower M1 Hunter is more attractive to me. Should run cooler and provides CRAZY runtimes with an 18650 cell. Definately more throw oriented, but I'd imagine with a beam shaper, you could get more flood if that was the primary concern.

And just to throw out there... I haven't handled any of the newer L2s or L4s but both of mine had tint issues and/or donut holes. I've never been one to complain about tint issues (esp green tints) but for the money, my L4 was unacceptable. Not sure if they've resolved any of those issues or not.

Jasmes

Enlightened
short1uk said:
omg its only £34.99 is it any good for that kind of money?

The consensus seems to be that is profanely good for that kind of money. :)

Mine should arrive today. :cool:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
short1uk said:
the best AA sized mag lite torch around.
Surefire L2 Digital Lumamax
Surefire U2
Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax
somehow I dont see the connection between AA sized and the SFs ;)

Fenix L2D-CE, or let him wait for SFs working on Cree/SSC, or he might check out one of the Huntlight or Lumapower breed, best with one 18650 Li-Ion.
But these are taller than a 2aa

PS: if You pay GBP 32,-- for it, get another source. My Card invoice shows € 42,-- for a L1D-CE from fenix-store.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
ehhh...it's not quite AA mag lite size, it's 4 AA size...but the streamlight propoly luxeon (1 watt regulated) is my fav. flashlight I've ever owned.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, € 65,-- is more expensive than € 45,--, I guess ;)

but then, when ordering in Your country support might be better (but 4seven's service is also great and yet to be beaten)
is Your GBP 32,-- with or without shipping?

TOMSDADJET

Newly Enlightened
Short1uk,

I bought my L2D-CE from Fenix store - My paypal account was dented to the extent of £26.55, so £32 is on the pricey side.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
My L4 has been on me 24/7 and has never failed. It's a wall of light that won't dissapoint.

I would say purchase one but even i'm starting to feel the need for a Cree upgrade...

LA OZ

Enlightened
If you want a tough AA light, bright enough for daily use, takes standard AA to Li-ion AA, do take a look at the Stainless Steel Civictor.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since your brother said price is not important, I would advice a light like Surefire, McGizmo's lights, HDS, with a perfect finish, build quality and performance.
Don't understand me wrong, I like the Fenix lights, very good lights for the money but the ones I mentioned are classes higher.
So if he is not in a hurry, he can wait until Surefire will bring their new lights with the more efficient Led's on the market.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't see the connection between AA and Surefires either. And what does he mean with "best"? It's VERY subjective depending on your needs. If it's brightest and longest runtime, it's definitely not a Surefire (not at the moment at least). :)

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
short1uk said:
OK guys my brother has given me the task of finding him the best AA sized mag lite torch around.
What does he like/not like about the torches he has already seen? What does "best" mean for him? Is it top quality construction, brightness, long runtime, adjustable levels, focusability, or what? What does he want to use this light for? Bedside, car, hiking, hunting, diving?