Nuwai QIII mod gone bad

billsea

Newly Enlightened
Got a Cree star and did the swap out in a QIII. Pretty easy. Unsoldered the Lux and resoldered the cree. Drilled out the reflector. After I got everything back together the light did not turn on. I finally figured out what was wrong, the bottomside of the circuit board was not making good contact with the light body, so it was not getting a good ground. There was also some glue in some places that was also causing bad contact. It is working now, but it is dim. During troubleshooting of the problem I applied some power from a battery to see if I could figure things out. Big mistake. I saw smoke come from the boost board. I assume that I fried some part of the boost circuit, and now it is just running on direct drive. Anybody know where I can get a replacement for the QIII circuit board? I would rather stay with the original circuit and not get a new style boost board. Do any of the dealers sell replacement parts like this?

Thanks

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! I did the flupic on my Q3 with cree! Dont forget to update the heat sink.Some one here was selling a nice copper heatsink all ready to drop in.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
billsea said:
I finally figured out what was wrong, the bottomside of the circuit board was not making good contact with the light body, so it was not getting a good ground. There was also some glue in some places that was also causing bad contact.

Did you put that wavey copper ring in that goes under the circuit board? That helps make the ground connection from the circuit board to the body. I left it out once and got nothing when turned on. I know you say you fried the board, but I thought I'd point that out.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, a different circuit board other than stock would be better.
Every now and then, the stock Q3 board will go kerflooey for no apparent good reason.

Monolith

Enlightened
+3 on the flupic with Cree. I have one modded by Mosport. Love it.

billsea

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies on the flupic. I guess I will have to go that route. But, it cost $20 plus shipping, and more for the heat sink. Oh well, nobody said this hobby would be cheap.

Nake wrote:
"Did you put that wavey copper ring in that goes under the circuit board? That helps make the ground connection from the circuit board to the body. I left it out once and got nothing when turned on. I know you say you fried the board, but I thought I'd point that out."

I did reuse the wavey copper ring. The problem was that when I drilled out the reflector so that the Cree would fit inside, the pressure that the reflector puts on the board was reduced, and the wavy contact spring was not compressed. I had to add a washer between the wavy spring and the light body to make up the difference. My version of the QIII does not have the threaded piece that holds the star into the body. Too bad I didn't figure this out until after I smoked the board.

Still looking for a QIII board if anyone has one they want to get rid of. All of you guys that did the flupic replacement, any leftover QIII boards?

PaulB

Newly Enlightened
Bill, make sure you put something non-conductive between the Q3 reflector and Cree(thin plastic washer etc) - that is why it fried ?

billsea

Newly Enlightened
PaulB wrote:
"Bill, make sure you put something non-conductive between the Q3 reflector and Cree(thin plastic washer etc) - that is why it fried ?"

Thanks for the input. I made an insulative washer by sticking two pieces of Kapton tape together, and then used an X-acto knife to cut a hole in the middle. It fits pretty well over the Cree and keeps the reflector from shorting out on the top pads of the Cree emitter. The reason that the board fried was because I was stupid about where I put some test voltage.