Mag Led 2 cell module in 3 cell body?

jarrodl

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure this has been answered here before, but after doing a search I couldn't find it. Will running a 2 cell led module with 3 cells damage it? The papers that came with it say yes, but the manufactures never want you to have any fun.
Thanks.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess (and this is purely a guess) is that it would either not work or it would glow significantly more brightly for a very short amount of time, followed by a poof of no light :)

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Hell, I'd go for it. I betcha the manufacturers are just messing with us. After all: What possible harm can there be in running something on 50% higher voltage than that for which is was designed?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't risk it, unless you are prepared to possibly have to buy another :whistle: I just set-up my parents old 3DMag, which was on a set of old batteries and the beam looked absolutely horrible(terrible artifacts and about as orange as a pumpkin!). I just picked up a Mag 4 cell LED upgrade module, popped in 4 fresh C-cells wrapped in paper so they wouldn't rattle, and lightly sputtered the reflector with some hairspray. My parents were amazed and extremely happy...not bad considering I spent just a bit over $20 to bring their 3D back to life....and increase it's runtime!
Just wait until I turn that 3D into a Mag85 :rock: :lolsign:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
But... but... but... There are already known thermal issues with the MagLED modules in their rated bodies. I'd suspect that if you used it 5 seconds at a time, maybe it would survive for a while. But I doubt it would last an hour continuous.

I mean, granted, $20 is only $20. But if you're going to burn up $20, why not donate it to Riley Children's Hospital?

Illum

Flashaholic
it'll fry...

I know....i bought a two cell to run in a mag 3D with half dead batts...in that split nano second it was the brightest LED in the house...then *darkness*

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... I was 100% sure it would kill it, but I didn't think it would kill it in less than a second on depleted cells.

drool.gif

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I wonder is ... will a 5 cell LED work in a 6 cell light. Only over driving 20% MIGHT work for a few seconds at a time. Of course, this may be recommended if you use NiMH (5 x 1.2 =7.5V ; 6 x 1.2 = 7.2V) if the lower internal resistance of NiMH doesn't result in a much higher current.

Of course if you want long run-time instead, you can throw a higher cell LED in with fewer cells for a long running emergency or indoors navigation light.

BTW, 3D's have far more milliAmp hours than 4C's. (3D x 20,500 = 61,500 versus 4C x 8350 = 33,400) for the same price (In USA). But again if you use NiMH, then you are overdriving by only 0.3V with a 3 cell LED.

I didn't realize that the Mag LED's were such leggo's.