General lighting project

AlexDeRus

Newly Enlightened
Greetings gentlemen!
I would like to construct my own LED lamp to light up an area 100m2. I've been thinking of using about a 100 Leds Luxeon K2 Power LED - LXK2-PW14-U00. Mounting hight is about 7 meters.
Here goes the question... Will that be enough to produce sufficient lighting to read a book in any corner of the room?
I would like to know public opinion about that issue.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thought I have is "that sounds expensive". Do show us some beam shots if/when you get it done.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a joke thread, right?

One K2 driven at 750 in the middle of a 10x10M room point straight up at a white ceiling would be enough to read by... Maybe not quite ideal, but 10 K2s driven to spec would probably be brighter than a 100 watt incandescent bulb.

With reflectors, 100 of them would be like one of those halogen work lights. It would be WAY beyond distractingly bright.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm envisouing a enormous golf ball of a semi sphere with flast for each k@ and a 1" thick wall with ehat pipes and heatsinks with fans

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexDeRus said:
Will that be enough to produce sufficient lighting to read a book in any corner of the room?

Yes, they should, unless you underdrive them too much.

May I ask why you want to go with LEDs for general lighting?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the idea of going LED for general lighting is awesome.

I think the idea of using 100 K2s to light each room is a bit over the top.
icon10.gif

AlexDeRus

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen,
thanks a lot for your remarks. i will elaborate further.
lamps will be mounted on the ceiling of old industrial building with no natural light coming in. walls are not white but disgustingly dirty yellow color. (that's why i want to use cold leds). ceiling is at least 7 meters from the floor. total area is way more than 100m2. i just want to combine 100 leds into one fixture per 100m2 floor area.

Meduza

Enlightened
Use Cree XR-E instead of the K2, better in all ways.

Get them mounted on custom 9x9 Aluminium MCPCB's from some pcb manfacturer, that will save you a lot of the hassle with wireing them up.

Then you need a heatsink capable of sinking 350w of heat, you WILL need active fan cooling and a big heatsink here

And last you need a driver capable of driving it all...

Illum

Flashaholic
Meduza said:
Then you need a heatsink capable of sinking 350w of heat, you WILL need active fan cooling and a big heatsink here

sounds like an excellent project for a winterhome...es[ecially during the heater oil shortage:grin2:

thats alot of amps:ohgeez:

from my experiments with a K2 die, you dont need 100 K2s to read by....say 50 with gritted dispersion optic would far exceed your needs, provided you dont leave them as a clutter

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the definition of a forum troll is someone who question peoples ideas and projects on regular basis, I have to ask: why not go for fluorescent or metal halide straight away? It's the obvious choice...

AlexDeRus

Newly Enlightened
Fluo is currently installed, i want to replace it with leds. why with leds? out of scientific curiosity. i'll try and see what happens. i'll post some pics when/if i get it done.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh... I didn't realize the decor was quite so drab.

I take back my comments about 100 LEDs being over the top.

str.gif

So how exactly do you envision them being physically located in the room?

A total of 100 (or whatever final number) spread between several locations?

In strips such as most flourescent lighting?

Last edited:

AlexDeRus

Newly Enlightened
I envision them being placed in one/two fixtures. Big square ugly thing hanging on the ceiling. i'll skimp on decent optics and opt for a simple frosted acryll plate to disperse the light.
currently 4 double TL fixtures are used to light up the area of approx 100m2. I want to replace them with 1 or 2 led fixtures. 100 leds should do the trick.
i do not enjoy dark spaces, so i figured that 100 K2 should outdo 4 double TL fixtures.
i'm still not sure if that would be enough...
is there a led on the market that outshine K2 for the same price?

AlexDeRus

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen,
Design of a cieling led lamp continues. I would like to post some images of my
design for general public to examine and comment on. Unfortunately for some reason i'm not allowed to add attachements to my post. Can someone resolve that issue?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, attachments are not enabled on this forum. You're going to need to host the pictures elsewhere and link to here. Tinypic.com is one such site that is very easy to use.

PeterScowcroft

Newly Enlightened
I would try to make that light multiuse. Due to the high power of my caving light it can be mounted on my bike as well, makes night riding very easy!

If you could get that light mounted on your bike you could be in for some more fun!

Meduza

Enlightened
TorchBoy said:
[Ahem.] "Colour?"

All the Cree XR-E P4 (WC and WD bins) have had much nicer colors than the XR-E's i have used...

I would go with Cree XR-E and Ledil wide optics...