KL1R to SSC P4 USWO1 (56K WARNING)

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
DISCLAMER… I am just some idiot with a soldering iron, it's not my fault.

Victim light: E1LR running on a TR16340 3.7V 800mA (fresh charge)
Control light: E2E on BS CR123A's (both tested 80% on ZTS)

I decided to do this mod after reading that the SSC P4 should triple the lumens from a KL1 at ~30 lumens with the "P4-bin: 350mA = 91-118.5lm" In this thread (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149665 ). That got me thinking and I checked my E1LR was 600mA across the LED at 3.7v. I ordered my SSC P4 USW01 from AW and McR-20 S from the Sandwich Shoppe. So now on to the Pictures.

Here is a comparison between my E1LR (fresh 3.7v LION) and E2E (80% battery) both lights are set on top of my dresser pointed at the sealing. ~36" away.

Here are the parts I used

Here is the original LED in the KL1 head. Note the LARGE burn mark on the dome of the LED (from factory like that).

The new SSC P4 USW01 (I used some clear nail polish to isolate the back of the slug on the emitter, probably not the best way to do this). Then mounted in the KL1 with the thermal compound.

And the SSC P4 USW01 in its new home (KL1)

Last but not least the comparison beam shots. Nothing was changed except for the LED used in the KL1 head for these photos.

EL1R VS E2E

EL1RS VS E2E

EL1RS VS E2E (little further back to show spill)

Overall I am vary impressed with how this mod went and well worth the gain. The origonal domed lenze and McR-20 S from the Sandwich Shoppe fit together with no spacers or o-rings, like they were made to fit.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job!!!
I just did this same mod last night..........WOW!!!...
I just can't believe how useful this light is now.
I just have to buy a two stage switch and it will be about perfect.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree as to usefulness. I've got a Seoul P4 in a KL1 head with the optic and am stunned at the output and great beam pattern.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already tossed the optic in my one of my KL1's, looks like it's time for an emitter swap! Nice job and great pics :goodjob:

jlomein

Enlightened
I completely agree with this mod, it's great. I'm not one to mod lights, but I picked up an E1L that had a McR20 reflector and Seoul P4 LED in it already modified. It's a great light. Bright hotspot, nice smooth flood, and great runtime compared to my stock KL4 head on one RCR123.

Pictured below is the E1L-R with Seoul on the left, KL4 (5w Luxeon) on the right. Both are powered by AW RCR123 3.7v protected cells. The KL4 has a much larger flood diameter, as well as a soft transition from hotspot to flood. However the E1L-R with Seoul has a smaller diameter flood that's brighter, with the brighter hotspot.

IMGP2419.jpg