Klarus        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UltraFire Cree C2

Default UltraFire Cree C2 Q2 and UltraFire Cree C2 Q5

I just got the Ultrafire Cree C2 from Quality China Goods, http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ult...ted-p-541.html

Costs $31.97 with shipping.

Shipping took 10 days from Shenzhen, China to So Cal.

Machining is good. Finish is good.

Reverse clickie switch.

Glass lens.

Very white beam. Has good sidespill.

I needed to use a magnet to make contact.

Left to right, Ultrafire Cree C2, Lumapower M1 Cree, Fenix L1P, Mini Mag Ican.

Left, Ultrafire Cree C2. Right, Lumapower M1 Cree

Ultrafire Cree C2 @ 90"

Lumapower M1 Cree @ 90"

Ultrafire Cree C2 @ 90" Stepped down exposure.

Lumapower M1 Cree @ 90" Stepped down exposure.

Left, Ultrafire Cree C2. Right, Lumapower M1 Cree @ 90"

Left, Ultrafire Cree C2. Right, Lumapower M1 Cree @ 90" Stepped down exposure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Both lights are using freshly charged Protected 18650 Rechargeable Batteries.

The Lumapower M1 Cree is using an OP Reflector.

Looks like the Lumapower M1 Cree edges out the Ultrafire Cree C2 by a small margin in throw.

I wish the Ultrafire Cree C2 had type III finish.

Not a bad light for the price of $31.97.
    Last edited by ernsanada; 01-10-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Changed title

Flashaholic*

Default Re: UltraFire Cree C2

great review! thanks!

The Protected 18650 Rechargeable Batteries I tried fit tight but I am able to shake out the batteries.

Wow! another thrower, thanks for the nice pics
    Welcome to take a look at my beamshots at 5m ,10m distance and lux readings

Quote Originally Posted by Chao
    Wow! another thrower, thanks for the nice pics
    Another thrower for the price of $31.97!

Nice review.
    Does this mean that the standard AW protected 18650 cant be used in this light due to the positive contact design?

They should have mentioned this inthe product description
    So the option are to add a magnet to the +ve end of teh battery or a solder blob onto the +ve contact of the PCB?

Quote Originally Posted by x2x3x2
    Nice review.
    Does this mean that the standard AW protected 18650 cant be used in this light due to the positive contact design?

They should have mentioned this inthe product description
    So the option are to add a magnet to the +ve end of teh battery or a solder blob onto the +ve contact of the PCB?
    The AW Protected 18650 can be used but like you said the magnet or solder blob the +ve contact of the PCB is needed. The AW Protected 18650's I have fit tight but they go in but I have to shake the light to get out the battery.

Flashaholic*

ersanada - Can you measure the ID of the C2's battery tube? I really like the light, but am concerned my protected 18650s won't fit. My 18650s are tight in my Huntlight FT-01...so tight that I cannot shake them out, I have to push them out from one end. Are your 18650s tight in your Huntlight FT-01?

Can you also measure the current draw from the battery in both the UF Cree C2 and LP Cree M1?

I'd advise against placing the magnet at the positive end of the battery as it's so close to the driver that it can affect the magnetic field of the driver (both buck and boost circuits have inductor coils that can change their resistance and magnetic fields due to the addition of another magnetic field). If it's a simple linear regulator, it may or may not affect it depending on the linear regulator's design.

I'm surprised it's so close to the M1 Cree. I think it's driven at a much lower current than either the M1 Cree or FT-01 Cree. I recall QCG saying they measured about 500-700mA only depending on the source, and an 18650 was on the lower end of the current.
    Streamlight: TL-3 Xenon, Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1, Scorpion LED SSC P4, KeyMate Silver (Nichia CS)
    Nuwai: 2x QIII TWOH (Green and Titanium), TM-313X Ti (QV1J DD 14500)
    Surefire: M2+C2-HA+Detonator, E2D, VG FB1+EXe, VG FB3+E2C+C2
    Vital Gear F2, Huntlight FT01, Jetbeam Jet1 AA and 123A, Fenix E1 (Silver), Luxogen LR5A-3W & LR12 CR2 (SCC P4), Spiderfire LR8, NexTorch Z1, Gerber Infinity Ultra (2x Green), Dae's UV 12LED
    Emergency Kit & Knives Pics - Lights & Knives Pics - Small Knife/Lights

I too had problems with the tight fit of protected 18650 cells in my FT-01.

Simple solution i did was take off the plastic wrapping around the battery and it will fit in and drop out smoothly.

AW's Protected 18650, Blue color.

Front of battery, 7.19

Middle of battery, 7.13

End of battery, 7.21

Inside diameter of battery tube, 7.20

Measured with a Dial Caliper.

Current draw, I might be able to check tomorrow. I have to go to sleep, work tomorrow, my Monday. I wake up at 3:50 AM.

Note on the left where the battery tube scrapes some of the battery cover off.

Note the anodize on the right side.

I got mine today. As ernsanada's PICs show this is a very handsome light. The fit and finish is nice but of course it is not HAIII. It works great with one of AW's older protected 17/670 cells. No magnets required. Overall output (using very primitive ceiling bounce test) is more than my Fenix P1D-CE using a rechargeable cell and less than my Lumapower D Mini also using a rechargeable cell. No rings in the beam which is a pleasant surprise. It is less of a thrower than the D-Mini but should be an excellent user light with a nice large clean spillbeam. Hopefully the run time will be over 2 hours using the 17/670 cell. For the money this is an excellent light.
    JC

Quote Originally Posted by jsr
    ersanada - Can you measure the ID of the C2's battery tube? I really like the light, but am concerned my protected 18650s won't fit. My 18650s are tight in my Huntlight FT-01...so tight that I cannot shake them out, I have to push them out from one end. Are your 18650s tight in your Huntlight FT-01?

Can you also measure the current draw from the battery in both the UF Cree C2 and LP Cree M1?

I'd advise against placing the magnet at the positive end of the battery as it's so close to the driver that it can affect the magnetic field of the driver (both buck and boost circuits have inductor coils that can change their resistance and magnetic fields due to the addition of another magnetic field). If it's a simple linear regulator, it may or may not affect it depending on the linear regulator's design.

I'm surprised it's so close to the M1 Cree. I think it's driven at a much lower current than either the M1 Cree or FT-01 Cree. I recall QCG saying they measured about 500-700mA only depending on the source, and an 18650 was on the lower end of the current.

Lumapower M1, 3.53V......................Battery Voltage, 4.19V

UltraFire Cree C2, 3.57V...................Battery Voltage, 4.17V

jsr,

What is the best way to put a solder blob on the module? How is the solder going to flow? Note there are 2 hole near the center. Would a pattern of flux help it flow in the pattern you want?

BTW, the module came out very easy. I just used a pick and turned counter clockwise.
    Last edited by ernsanada; 02-26-2007 at 07:35 PM.

This is how Lumapower solved the problem of the 18650 batteries not making contact with the module.

These modules are from the DX1. The 5 Watt Luxeon and K2 module.

Is it single stage or more than one?

Single stage, reverse clickie.

Cannot tailstand. Rear rubber switch cover protrudes.

Flashaholic

Whats the runtime on 18650 please?!

How would this compare to the U2-styled CREE from DX. Is it brighter? More throw? Longer runtimes? I'd love to see a showdown with these. It would be the battle of the budget 18650's!!
    |MagROP 2C| |Aurora AK-P7 SSC-P7| |EastwardYJ U2-Styled| |CREE DX Headlamp| |Elly CREE| |P1-Clone CREE|

Flashaholic*

ersanada - the two holes are likely vias to connect to the top side of the board. When I apply solder to a positive contact pad, I usually just let the solder flow and fill the pad. If you don't want it to cover the complete pad, you can place some kapton tape around the areas you don't want it to flow to. You could also use a no-flux solder and apply flux carefully on the area of the contact pad you want the solder blob to be, but flux has a tendency to run once heated.

Can you take pics of the C2 disassembled? I'd like to see at what points it comes apart. I'm hesitant to purchase the light right now since it doesn't seem to be very Protected 18650 friendly. I don't want to have the light and have my 18650s not fit. Like beefy6969, I was deciding between the UF C2 and the DX U2-style lights. I really like the looks of the C2, but I won't use it if it can't fit my protected 18650s.
    Streamlight: TL-3 Xenon, Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1, Scorpion LED SSC P4, KeyMate Silver (Nichia CS)
    Vital Gear F2, Huntlight FT01, Jetbeam Jet1 AA and 123A, Fenix E1 (Silver), Luxogen LR5A-3W & LR12 CR2 (SCC P4), Spiderfire LR8, NexTorch Z1, Gerber Infinity Ultra (2x Green), Dae's UV 12LED

Flashaholic*

ersanada - great pics!, thanks! Is there a way you can measure from the glass lens to the top of the LED module and also to the bottom ridge in the head that the LED module sits on? I'm thinking this would be a great host for a Tri-LED setup...the head looks large enough, and would be smaller than the Mag Tri-LED setups, about the same size as SF Tri-LED setups, while being much cheaper than the SF setups. Knowing the length will allow me to search for proper sized optics and reflectors.
    Thanks.

jsr,

The measurement from the Cree Module to the glass lens is 18mm.

The measurement from the ridge to the lens is 19mm.

The reflector measures 20mm.

Last edited by ernsanada; 02-28-2007 at 07:57 PM.

I think there are 2 reasons the 18650 does not make contact. Note the outer edge has a slight ridge and the solder blob.

Quote Originally Posted by jsr
    ersanada - great pics!, thanks! Is there a way you can measure from the glass lens to the top of the LED module and also to the bottom ridge in the head that the LED module sits on? I'm thinking this would be a great host for a Tri-LED setup...the head looks large enough, and would be smaller than the Mag Tri-LED setups, about the same size as SF Tri-LED setups, while being much cheaper than the SF setups. Knowing the length will allow me to search for proper sized optics and reflectors.
    Thanks.
    I'm thinking the same thing. I got my Fatman driver, heatsink, and my CREEs are in the mail. I have 20mm Fraen optics that I might try and reduce in size to fit; One narrow, medium and wide angled. I see Photonfanatic has 17mm optics for Seoul LEDs that might work better if you go that route.

I cleaned the anodize off the back off the battery tube.

Flashaholic*

ersanada - damn you're quick! Thanks again for the great pics. When you say the reflector is 20mm deep while the LED module is only 18mm from the glass, is the black portion surrounding emitter recessed 2mm? Just wondering how the reflector could fit between the LED module if the LED module is 18mm (from the metal outter portion, the case) from the lens while the reflector is 20mm.

chanamasala - yeah, I was thinking of either a Tri-Cree or Tri-SSC setup using the Cree or SSC specific reflectors or optics, depending on what fits. Though, I'd still need someone to machine a module to mount the LEDs onto and hold a driver that's sufficient. I guess it's possible to use the stock driver if you wire all 3 in parallel, but that would either underdrive each emitter severely, or pull too much current from the driver and burn it out (3 loads in parallel resulting in much lower load impedance). And this is assuming one can even open the LED module to remove the Cree and access the driver wires.

I think I have to add this amount. The reflector you see above the head. That's why I took this picture, the measurements did not make sense to me at the time.

Flashaholic*

But the lens sits atop the reflector and the reflector sits against the LED module, so if the reflector was 20mm deep, shouldn't the distance from the LED module to the lens be 20mm? Is it that the distance from the top of the head (underneath the reflector, where the reflector rests) is 18mm, plus the 2mm the reflector sticks out of the head, thus equaling 20mm (depth of the reflector)?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ernsanada
    I think I have to add this amount. The reflector you see above the head. That's why I took this picture, the measurements did not make sense to me at the time.

I measured and it is 2mm.

Now the measurements seem OK.

Flashaholic*

Well, I measured my 18650 and got 0.7285in at the widest part. Guess they won't fit in the C2...too bad, it's such an attractive light.

BTW, in the pic with the C2 next to the LP M1, it only looks a tad shorter...doesn't look like the 110mm length listed on QCG's website.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast