UltraFire Cree C2

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
UltraFire Cree C2 Q2 and UltraFire Cree C2 Q5

I just got the Ultrafire Cree C2 from Quality China Goods, http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ultrafirereg-cree-glass-lens-regulated-p-541.html

Costs $31.97 with shipping.

Shipping took 10 days from Shenzhen, China to So Cal.

Machining is good. Finish is good.

Reverse clickie switch.

Glass lens.

Very white beam. Has good sidespill.

picture001smallnc2.jpg

picture003smalljj7.jpg

picture010smallnd2.jpg

picture011smalleb5.jpg

picture006smallcv0.jpg

picture012smallte7.jpg

picture007smallxu2.jpg

picture013smallvr5.jpg

picture008smallrn8.jpg

picture009smallom3.jpg

picture016smallsp6.jpg

picture017smallxz0.jpg

I needed to use a magnet to make contact.

picture020smallqc6.jpg

Left to right, Ultrafire Cree C2, Lumapower M1 Cree, Fenix L1P, Mini Mag Ican.

picture028smallie5.jpg

Left, Ultrafire Cree C2. Right, Lumapower M1 Cree

picture029smallff9.jpg

Ultrafire Cree C2 @ 90"

picture021smallaj6.jpg

Lumapower M1 Cree @ 90"

picture023smallgq0.jpg

Ultrafire Cree C2 @ 90" Stepped down exposure.

picture022smallhm7.jpg

Lumapower M1 Cree @ 90" Stepped down exposure.

picture024smallns6.jpg

Left, Ultrafire Cree C2. Right, Lumapower M1 Cree @ 90"

picture025smallor5.jpg

Left, Ultrafire Cree C2. Right, Lumapower M1 Cree @ 90" Stepped down exposure.

picture026smallpt3.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Both lights are using freshly charged Protected 18650 Rechargeable Batteries.

The Lumapower M1 Cree is using an OP Reflector.

Looks like the Lumapower M1 Cree edges out the Ultrafire Cree C2 by a small margin in throw.

I wish the Ultrafire Cree C2 had type III finish.

Not a bad light for the price of $31.97.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Protected 18650 Rechargeable Batteries I tried fit tight but I am able to shake out the batteries.

Chao

Enlightened
Wow! another thrower, thanks for the nice pics :goodjob:

x2x3x2

Banned
Nice review.
Does this mean that the standard AW protected 18650 cant be used in this light due to the positive contact design?

They should have mentioned this inthe product description :p
So the option are to add a magnet to the +ve end of teh battery or a solder blob onto the +ve contact of the PCB?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
Nice review.
Does this mean that the standard AW protected 18650 cant be used in this light due to the positive contact design?

They should have mentioned this inthe product description :p
So the option are to add a magnet to the +ve end of teh battery or a solder blob onto the +ve contact of the PCB?

The AW Protected 18650 can be used but like you said the magnet or solder blob the +ve contact of the PCB is needed. The AW Protected 18650's I have fit tight but they go in but I have to shake the light to get out the battery.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
ersanada - Can you measure the ID of the C2's battery tube? I really like the light, but am concerned my protected 18650s won't fit. My 18650s are tight in my Huntlight FT-01...so tight that I cannot shake them out, I have to push them out from one end. Are your 18650s tight in your Huntlight FT-01?

Can you also measure the current draw from the battery in both the UF Cree C2 and LP Cree M1?

I'd advise against placing the magnet at the positive end of the battery as it's so close to the driver that it can affect the magnetic field of the driver (both buck and boost circuits have inductor coils that can change their resistance and magnetic fields due to the addition of another magnetic field). If it's a simple linear regulator, it may or may not affect it depending on the linear regulator's design.

I'm surprised it's so close to the M1 Cree. I think it's driven at a much lower current than either the M1 Cree or FT-01 Cree. I recall QCG saying they measured about 500-700mA only depending on the source, and an 18650 was on the lower end of the current.

x2x3x2

Banned
I too had problems with the tight fit of protected 18650 cells in my FT-01.

Simple solution i did was take off the plastic wrapping around the battery and it will fit in and drop out smoothly.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW's Protected 18650, Blue color.

Front of battery, 7.19

Middle of battery, 7.13

End of battery, 7.21

Inside diameter of battery tube, 7.20

Measured with a Dial Caliper.

Current draw, I might be able to check tomorrow. I have to go to sleep, work tomorrow, my Monday. I wake up at 3:50 AM.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note on the left where the battery tube scrapes some of the battery cover off.

Note the anodize on the right side.

picture016smallpx8.jpg

picture017smallek6.jpg

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I got mine today. As ernsanada's PICs show this is a very handsome light. The fit and finish is nice but of course it is not HAIII. It works great with one of AW's older protected 17/670 cells. No magnets required. Overall output (using very primitive ceiling bounce test) is more than my Fenix P1D-CE using a rechargeable cell and less than my Lumapower D Mini also using a rechargeable cell. No rings in the beam which is a pleasant surprise. It is less of a thrower than the D-Mini but should be an excellent user light with a nice large clean spillbeam. Hopefully the run time will be over 2 hours using the 17/670 cell. For the money this is an excellent light.
JC

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr said:
ersanada - Can you measure the ID of the C2's battery tube? I really like the light, but am concerned my protected 18650s won't fit. My 18650s are tight in my Huntlight FT-01...so tight that I cannot shake them out, I have to push them out from one end. Are your 18650s tight in your Huntlight FT-01?

Can you also measure the current draw from the battery in both the UF Cree C2 and LP Cree M1?

I'd advise against placing the magnet at the positive end of the battery as it's so close to the driver that it can affect the magnetic field of the driver (both buck and boost circuits have inductor coils that can change their resistance and magnetic fields due to the addition of another magnetic field). If it's a simple linear regulator, it may or may not affect it depending on the linear regulator's design.

I'm surprised it's so close to the M1 Cree. I think it's driven at a much lower current than either the M1 Cree or FT-01 Cree. I recall QCG saying they measured about 500-700mA only depending on the source, and an 18650 was on the lower end of the current.

Lumapower M1, 3.53V......................Battery Voltage, 4.19V

UltraFire Cree C2, 3.57V...................Battery Voltage, 4.17V

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr,

What is the best way to put a solder blob on the module? How is the solder going to flow? Note there are 2 hole near the center. Would a pattern of flux help it flow in the pattern you want?

picture023smallri2.jpg

picture024smallfw6.jpg

BTW, the module came out very easy. I just used a pick and turned counter clockwise.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is how Lumapower solved the problem of the 18650 batteries not making contact with the module.

These modules are from the DX1. The 5 Watt Luxeon and K2 module.

dsc03391smallny9.jpg

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single stage, reverse clickie.

Cannot tailstand. Rear rubber switch cover protrudes.

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
Whats the runtime on 18650 please?!

How would this compare to the U2-styled CREE from DX. Is it brighter? More throw? Longer runtimes? I'd love to see a showdown with these. It would be the battle of the budget 18650's!!:rock:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
ersanada - the two holes are likely vias to connect to the top side of the board. When I apply solder to a positive contact pad, I usually just let the solder flow and fill the pad. If you don't want it to cover the complete pad, you can place some kapton tape around the areas you don't want it to flow to. You could also use a no-flux solder and apply flux carefully on the area of the contact pad you want the solder blob to be, but flux has a tendency to run once heated.

Can you take pics of the C2 disassembled? I'd like to see at what points it comes apart. I'm hesitant to purchase the light right now since it doesn't seem to be very Protected 18650 friendly. I don't want to have the light and have my 18650s not fit. Like beefy6969, I was deciding between the UF C2 and the DX U2-style lights. I really like the looks of the C2, but I won't use it if it can't fit my protected 18650s.