PT Apex brightness levels?

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Princeton Tec Apex headlamp. I've litterally just put the battery in it and I've already noticed one strange thing. It is supposed to have two power levels (well four total, but 2 with the main 3W LED) but when I push the button to change the power level there is very little discernable difference in the light output. If anything, the color of the light changes a bit (gets a little warmer), but it does not seem to put out less light. What gives? If all I have to do is trade in a cooler light color for a warmer light color to go from a (claimed) 4.5 to 12 hours of regulated run time then I'll be a VERY happy camper! But somehow I doubt this is the case.

When I use the 4 little LEDs the results are similar, the light gets warmer, and MAYBE a bit less bright, but nothing big.

Any thoughts?

Sarratt

Enlightened
First make sure that the batteries are fresh.
I've noticed that with mine once the power level of the cells drops you are no longer able to change the light levels.

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
Sarratt said:
First make sure that the batteries are fresh.
I've noticed that with mine once the power level of the cells drops you are no longer able to change the light levels.

I did! I used freshly charged 2500 mA NiMH batteries. The effect is the same with the supplied Energizer Alkaline batteries.

drmaxx

Enlightened
ArisaemaDracontium said:
I just got a Princeton Tec Apex headlamp. I've litterally just put the battery in it and I've already noticed one strange thing. It is supposed to have two power levels (well four total, but 2 with the main 3W LED) but when I push the button to change the power level there is very little discernable difference in the light output. If anything, the color of the light changes a bit (gets a little warmer), but it does not seem to put out less light. What gives? If all I have to do is trade in a cooler light color for a warmer light color to go from a (claimed) 4.5 to 12 hours of regulated run time then I'll be a VERY happy camper! But somehow I doubt this is the case.

When I use the 4 little LEDs the results are similar, the light gets warmer, and MAYBE a bit less bright, but nothing big.

Any thoughts?

There is definately a distinct difference in output in my Apex. So my guess is, that you got a lemmon and need to return it. From what I heard PT has a good customer service - fixing the problem should be no big deal.

Philm4

Newly Enlightened
You've got a problem lamp, there is a significant difference in output between high and low, however I would try some other cells just to make sure there is no issue with the power source.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I have an Apex Pro; the levels are distinct.

I dunno, about their CS... Only one of my e-mails was answered, and it took them almost a month.

:thinking:
Anybody have a 1-800 number?

Limelighter

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
I have an Apex Pro; the levels are distinct.

I dunno, about their CS... Only one of my e-mails was answered, and it took them almost a month.

thinking.gif

Anybody have a 1-800 number?

I don't know if Princeton Tec has a 1-800 number, but their "regular" phone number is (609) 298-9331. This number is on their website and I have called them using this number.
And yes, both of my 2 Apex headlamps have very distinct differences between high and low, both on the luxeon LEDs and also on the main luxeon lamp.

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help guys. I am going to test the light on a third set of batteries today (Energizer brand NiMH) and see if there's any difference. I also noticed that I'm not getting a very good run time. It lasted less then 40 minutes (maybe as few as 30) before I got the flashing indicator that the battery had about 20 minutes of charge less. That's less then an hour of run time. This thread suggests I should get closer to 3.5!

Sorry I haven't responded recently, but for some reason I don't get notifications of replies to threads I'm subscribed to (even though I thought I set it up that way in my CP). I guess nothing is working for me right now.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this a new light? If so then try the four Duracells included. You may want to try new and PROVEN good alkalines, anyway, just to be sure. There's quite a difference in current consumption between levels which provides long runtime on low. Perhaps there's an electronic circuit gremlin at work, but make sure all four cells are in good condition.

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
jayflash said:
Is this a new light? If so then try the four Duracells included.

I got the same results with the Energizer Alkaline batteries that came with the lamp.

I suspect the short burn time might also be a symtom of a problem. I am currently doing a slightly more formal burn time test, siting here watching the lamp out of the corner of my eye while I work. On the High power setting with Energizer NiMH (2500 mHh) I got appx. 1 hr 20 min until the low power warning kicked on, then another appx. 40 more minutes of run time on full power. It is currently running with reduced light output, the light level is about half way between what my PT EOS puts out in medium and low mode. Perhaps this is the low-power mode that I'm missing?

I will 'test' the burn time a few more times, but does this sound about right to people?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the NiMH cell actually have their full 2500mAh of capacity, then no, your light should run for more than three hours on high w/3W Lux. An hour on alks is normal. My Apex draws about 750 mA on 3W Lux high. Does the heat sink get warm after 5 - 10 minutes on high with the Luxeon? It should.

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
jayflash said:
If the NiMH cell actually have their full 2500mAh of capacity, then no, your light should run for more than three hours on high w/3W Lux. An hour on alks is normal. My Apex draws about 750 mA on 3W Lux high. Does the heat sink get warm after 5 - 10 minutes on high with the Luxeon? It should.

The heat sink definitely gets hot, it was so warm I decided to my small fan to blow on it. I get appx. 2 hours of burn time at full power, then it cuts down to a lower output mode. Is it dropping out of regulation at this point? It's hard for me to tell if the light level is diminishing over time or not.

How might I test if the batteries are fully charged, could I use a multi-meter somehow?

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
Crap! I think I just killed this emitter. I put another set of batteries in it to test the runtime again and it went on for a second and then cut out. The 4 smaller LEDs work fine but the main emitter just won't come on no matter what I do! The little green indicator light is on as if it were running, but its not. I may have held the power button down for a second or two instead of just a quick click on, should that matter? Is it warranty time?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Let the light cool down and try again with fresh batteries.

Holding the switch button down will turn the light off. So, yes, it's possible that you just turned the light off. :)

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
Just in case anyone else who has a similar problem runs across this thread... I sent the light back to Princeton Tec. They are replacing the logic board. Unfortunately for me, they are out at the moment, so I've been without the light for over a month now!