Rechargeable for Surfire L2?

Norm

Retired Administrator
What rechargeable will fit the Surefire L2? will running the light on one rechargeable effect the output.
Thanks Norm

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW sells a 14760 sized li-ion cell that'll fit in the L2. The 17670 commonly used for the L4/E2L won't fit, it's too fat. The L2 has a very tight inside. You can get them at lighthound.com or from AW in the Dealer's forum.

Expect 30-35 minutes of regulated full brightness on High, with a few more minutes on low afterward. Note that the Low level on the 3.7V cell won't be as bright as Low with 2xCR123As.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thanks for that, I prefer low to be really low anyway. Is the output on high reduced?
Norm

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
It should be mentioned that when they say that the 14670 fits the L2, what they mean is that its diameter is small enough to fit within an L2, not that it will be a good fit by any means. I don't know why this battery is spoken of like a perfect solution for the L2, I was very disappointed when I realized that it needs to be jury rigged a bit to get it to work properly. The primary CR123s that the L2 is designed so precisely for are about 17mm in diameter, 3mm more than the rechargeable. As a result, the rechargeable cell needs to be wrapped in something and placed carefully to ensure good contact. When I use mine without first rolling it in some paper, it results in intermittent contact as the battery gets knocked from side to side, often requiring that the light be smacked against the palm to make it work. It's a nice option if you're using it for extended periods, but I don't trust this setup for any quick/serious uses, it really sucks to go for your SureFire and find that it... no longer assuredly fires.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I had similar problems with the battery for contact. I Krazy glued a small magnet to the +ve end. It was just a very, very small dab of Krazy glue to keep it from sliding but not enough to stop electron flow. On the negative end I wrapped electrical tape until it fills in the gap.

Both ends are well centered and it always makes contact in the flashlight.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Max Brightness said:
I had similar problems with the battery for contact. I Krazy glued a small magnet to the +ve end. It was just a very, very small dab of Krazy glue to keep it from sliding but not enough to stop electron flow. On the negative end I wrapped electrical tape until it fills in the gap.

Both ends are well centered and it always makes contact in the flashlight.
It's that deja vu thing all over again...
You need to tape wrap the battery.
You need to locate the tin hat, but you should use conductive (silver filled) epoxy not Krazy glue!.
i've gone back to primary 123's and downgraded the L2 to 'occasional' because I too want the L2 to be a primarily *reliable* light.
Planterz will now upbraid me for being too lazy to locate the threads already posted on this topic...

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Frank Maddix said:
It's that deja vu thing all over again...
You need to tape wrap the battery.
You need to locate the tin hat, but you should use conductive (silver filled) epoxy not Krazy glue!.

:laughing: That's right, you probably should use conductive (silver filled) epoxy not Krazy glue. Now, I not only need space for the battery but I also need space for my fingers ... which are now stuck to the battery.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
My findings...........my older four sided L2 needs a magnet (I did not glue mine and have no problem)......and my newer three sided L2 doesn't need one with an AW 14670 cell.......and yes I put electrical tape around both ends of the cells to make a snug fit in my L2's.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say about L2, but my L1 rounded body wouldn't except AW's latest high caps R123s. But the other 600mah R123 does go in. However beware, My L1 emits interference noise comng from the board when it runs on 3.7volts, only on high. Does the L2 runing 2x3.7v hums as well?

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
jumpstat said:
Does the L2 runing 2x3.7v hums as well?
The L2 can not be powered by 2x3.7v, that's why we have to go to the trouble of using a single cell that doesn't fit properly.
They emit a whine on low (it might be a little quieter when run on the lith-ion, not positive) but is completely silent on high.