best high power low power flashlight combination

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
So what do you guys think? I'm thinking maybe the inova x5 and an m2 or something, but i'm not sure. my thoughts were that i could use the m2 batteries in the inova to squeeze some more life out of them. I've also heard praise of the arc le + e2(e) combination. What combination of flashlights gives you a decent working light plus higher power if you need it? Thanks,

- Pete

bwcaw

Enlightened
My edc is a sf M2 and Arc ls second with
aa power-pack. I keep the M2 in my left cargo
pants pocket and the ls clipped to my left
upper pocket.(my arc ls is in for repair so
it is just the M2 now)But you could use the
123 power-pack in your ls and use the batts.
out of the M2 when they are almost dead.I would definately recommend the ARC ls and
SF M2 combination.
smile.gif

Spork

Enlightened
well I always have the arc or a photon on my keys. the x5 is a very nice light. you can get them for 36.50 delivered from a member here. its a good alternative to spending all that money on a arcls when they are available. inova is coming out with a new light thats suspose to be 15% brighter. if its reasonably priced I will get that before i spend 100+ dollars on the arc ls.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Topic: best high power low power flashlight combination

My thoughts exactly!

When I first started hanging out here, I didn't understand what the big deal was over LED lights. The Brinkmann Legend LX and the Princton Tec Surge were my ideas of a nice light! Big and bright, with a perfect beam that lights up the night hundreds of feet in front of you! Why would anyone want a light that is not big and bold and far throwing and blindingly bright?

I have decided that I am going to keep a "kit" of three lights in my truck and at my desk at work.

In addition, I will have an ARC AAA and an Inova Microlight with me at all times, so, no matter what happens, I will be able to make it back to my truck or desk to get my lights.

The lights that I was going to pick are:

Inova X5 for the "low power" one (waiting for the new, 15 % brighter one with the tailcap to be released in 3-4 weeks)
Brinkmann Legend LX for the high power
Aurora Headlamp as a task light. The Aurora has a high, medium and low setting, and the battery life (of course) goes up as the brightness goes down.

The Inova and LX both take Lithium batteries, and that makes for a nice storage light.

The Inova isn't really "low light", as it is probably one of the brightest LED lights out there (I think the lightwave 4000, 3000 and ARC LS are brighter), but it is more of a local light. If you had to make your way around in a totally dark house, you would probably want the Inova, if you had to see across a totally dark field, you would probably want the LX.

BTY, to imply that the current Inova is not bright because I am waiting for the new Inova to be released is not true! The current model is VERY NICE! I own one now, and use it almost every day.

And I will keep at least 4 extra lithium batteries also, because I thought of keeping a "surge" also, but the LX with extra batteries and extra bulb would satisfy my "run tme" issue.

If someone really wanted a "low power" light, the infinity CMG might be a better choice, or a Princton Tec Attitude. The CMG takes one AA and lasts 41 hours. The attitude has a run time of "up to" 150 hours.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
I like the X5 + either my E2e, M2 or CM3 (C3 + M2 bezel). I run a P61 in my M2 and a P91 in my CM3 (125 Lu/20 min. and 200Lu/20min. respectively) for when I want high output, but usually I carry the E2e (MN03 = 60Lu for 1 hour). The X5 gets the "used-up" 123s... It's a good system.

But, if pressed, I would say that the X5 + either the E2/E2e or the M2 is my favorite combo. If possible I would carry the M2...but often it's too big to be convenient.

Either way, I will confess that I would also want my CPF Arc to stay on my keyring....

wink.gif
cool.gif

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
indeed, i've been looking at that light, and the idea of a surefire i can run as long as i want sounds really cool. but i think i want an e2e first

- Pete

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or just get a Surefire Aviator when they become available - selectable for 3 LEDs or 60 lumen Xenon. I may have to pick up one of these myself!

bwcaw

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
Or just get a Surefire Aviator when they become available - selectable for 3 LEDs or 60 lumen Xenon. I may have to pick up one of these myself!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I also plan to
get one of these, but the man at sure-fire
said it will be next year untill these get into production, so it will probobly be 2004
if sure-fire follows its usual "announce a
product then develop it" routine.
tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
i have three EDC lights for outdoor stuff -
red cmg, for really close up stuff
inova x5, bright enough for walking around
sl scorpion, anything else
grin.gif

i like the fact that inova and scorpion use the same batts so i get the most out of those rather expensive lithiums. the cmg runs almost forever equipped with a lithium AA.
all of the above mentioned can handle a good amount of (ab)use without letting you down. my sf 6p resides in my car since i had two bulbs blow when i accidently dropped the light. the scorpion has been dropped too but continued to work fine.

chris

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I agree that the PT Attitude would make a great low power light. Cheaper to buy and use and longer run time than the X5, though not as bright.

For hi power I have an E2E that I EDC. Though I think the PT Surge would be nice. (too big for EDC)

Hard Choices !!!!!

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
alright, so i think i've decided what i'm going to do. I'll get an e2e now, an innova when the new ones come out, and probably either a m2d or a m3 depending on how soon the digital series is out. The m2 looks really nice but i just couldn't buy one when the m2d is right on the horizon
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
. I would buy an a2 this very instant (with green leds
smile.gif
)if they were out. I think the ultimate combination might be a2, m2d, and 10x, with only a little bit of overlap
grin.gif

anyways thanks for your help.

- Pete