Need to run 50 LED's on 230V AC

spookyh

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I need to connect 50LED (no color specific) on 230V AC. I have tried connecting a series resistor and diodes but i need a more effective solution
thanks for any help
Raj

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
Are these leds already wired up (in series perhaps) or are you starting with a clean slate?

Illum

Flashaholic
LEDs are diodes, diodes can only be powered on DC as DC travels in one direction. hooking up LEDs to AC theres going to be alot of explosions, let along 230VAC

the only way to do so is through a driver, something like this that evens out the power that goes through the LEDs

Martin

Enlightened
Vy simple way to do it:
All LEDs in series, rectifier bridge, film capacitor to limit the current and fusible resistor just in case. Can put a polarized capacitor across the LED string to minimize 50Hz flicker.
This circuit is found in many inexpensive LED spots and it's simple and fairly efficient.

I actually do have two LED spots here, E27 socket, 90 LEDs. Not sure what circuit these use, but it's in there and it works. I considered parting with these bulbs. PM me if they could be useful.

spookyh

Newly Enlightened
ROVER said:
Are these leds already wired up (in series perhaps) or are you starting with a clean slate?

Thanks Rover, I have already wired up the LED's in series.

Martin

Enlightened
I've recently done a landscape lighting project where I did a similar thing, and I added a page to my website.
Now here's how I powered 18 LEDs from 230V AC:
230VACcluster.jpg

Latest posts