P1D CE rings don't bother me!

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I love my P1D CE. The tint is very white( well perhaps slightly less on the low setting), the threads are not sloppy , and it is very useful (EDC).
I have some questions regarding setting up any Cree XRE emitter.

Are the rings present if the reflector is properly focused?
If so then I would prefer to keep ringyness if eliminating the rings would give less output.
Isn't the use of textured reflector to eliminate rings going to reduce overall efficiency?

taschenlampe

Enlightened
Led-Ed said:
... Are the rings present if the reflector is properly focused? ...

I think this is a fact! If you look at this post of "UnknownVT" you will find that the
centre spot is clearly brighter at the stock adjustment.

Led-Ed said:
... Isn't the use of textured reflector to eliminate rings going to reduce overall efficiency? ...

If you mean by "overall efficiency" the total lumen output – this will stay the same
if the smooth and the textured reflector are from identical quality – but you will
absolutely lose throw with the textured reflector…

Tom

Last edited:

jled

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the smooth reflector on my P1D as it gives better throw and therefore more useful beam. The tint is slightly warm which I also prefer for color and detail definition. I also have the jetbeam C-LE which has very similar tint and output using 14500 cell. The C-LE actually has a slightly higher overall output but it's textured reflector gives it slightly less throw. I wish it also had a smooth reflector. Both lights get quite warm running on high.