Wolf Eye's New Cree D26 Lamp

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hey Everyone,

Just had a few questions about the new WE cree D26. Does anyone know if it will fit the WE and SF P60 lights without a gap, as some other XR-E lamps seems to be having? Also, the PTS site says that it is a 3.7-6.0V lamp. I'm still learning about powering lamps, so does this mean that the emitter will be dimmer on 3.7V (rechargeables) than on 6.0V (two primaries)? Also, it the site says that the runtime for a regulated output is 130 minutes, while an unregulared output will be about 5 hours. How can you tell if your light is regulated? Are WE lights? Lastly (and forgive my ignorance), if the regulator is in the light, and not the LA, how can the LA accept anywhere from 3.7-6.0V? Thanks for your help (and for putting up with the newbie questions--I'm learning).

-mike

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
tomcat017 said:
Also, the PTS site says that it is a 3.7-6.0V lamp. I'm still learning about powering lamps, so does this mean that the emitter will be dimmer on 3.7V (rechargeables) than on 6.0V (two primaries)?
No, it's regulated.

How can you tell if your light is regulated?
Check the manufacturer's specifications. Or leave the light on and observe what happens. A regulated light will put out a constant level of light and then (usually) drop off slowly.

...how can the LA accept anywhere from 3.7-6.0V?
This just means that the assembly is designed to accept any input voltage in this range.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks GeorgePaul! OK...now I'm confused. The Cree LA is regulated? That makes sense to me, but does anyone know why the site than specifies different output times for regulated and unregulated power sources? If the LA itself is regulated? Hmm :huh2: wallowing in newb dispair....

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Consider the Surefire L4, a flashlight that has a regulation circuit in its head assembly. Surefire says (see http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1071/sesent/00) that it has "Runtime: 2.5 hours 1 hour high output, then 1.5 hours useful output". If you look at the runtime graph for this light (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l4.htm), you'll see that, consistent with Surefire's claim, that it has almost constant light output for over an hour, after which time the light output falls off fairly steeply. It's the regulation that is responsible for the constant high level of output, even as the batteries become depleted. After a while the batteries are so depleted that the regulation circuit cannot maintain the high output, and the light level drops.

Last edited:

harddrive

Enlightened
I have used it a Wolf Eyes D2, Surefire 6P and Surefire Z2. No gaps at all. Remember it needs an extra spring to work in the surefire lights. I used a spring from a Lumens Factory lamp. Worked fine. It is the only Cree lamp I have tried. Compared to other (3W) LED lights i have the output is amazing.

Jim Holzemer

Newly Enlightened
I did a little imprecise "down the dark trail" illumination test the other night that surprised me a bit. The G&P 3W had a brighter hotspot than the Cree, although the P4 had a much wider "wall" with roughly the same throw. I guess I expected the P4 to be a little brighter. Any thoughts?
OOPS! I just realized that the P4 is not the same as the Cree D26.
I still wonder about the differences between the P4 & G&P though..

Last edited: