Cree 5W

FASTCAR

Banned
Will a cree 5W ever come out?Like the Lux 5?

Seems the Lux 3 are throwy and the 5 floody..perhaps the cree would act the same?

Brum

Newly Enlightened
Overdrive it to 1,5A or so and its a five watter. A multidie Cree would be nice, but if you want rediculous light output (and power input aswell as heat output) you can already buy a single chip array thingy from Osram/Edison etc...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably go to a multi-emitter light with a special collimating optic that would combine the light from the multiple sources into one beam -- I've seen this effect even on cheap dollar store multi LED flashlights that use special lenses to combine multiple 5mm LEDs into a single clean-looking beam, don't see any reason why it couldn't be done for multiple Cree LEDs (ie, a single unit with LED holders and optics).

I would personally rather see Cree focus on promoting the 3W so we could see more economy of scale and buy the 3W diodes cheaper.

OddOne

Enlightened
Yeah, I'd be inclined to think more in terms of multiple XR-Es with their own beamshaping to produce a single uberbright beam.

Maybe improve the tech so that Q3 bins are buyable for $5 a pop. :D

oO

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree XR-Es are just as floody as a Lux V--it just depends on the reflector. My Draco (w/XR-E) is just as floody as my Surefire L4. In fact, the "hot spot" is actually larger than that of my L4's! If you're not focusing on slight difference in the size of the hot spot, the Creed Draco's beam looks identical to the L4s.

LightScene

Enlightened
Trashman said:
The Cree XR-Es are just as floody as a Lux V--it just depends on the reflector. My Draco (w/XR-E) is just as floody as my Surefire L4. In fact, the "hot spot" is actually larger than that of my L4's! If you're not focusing on slight difference in the size of the hot spot, the Creed Draco's beam looks identical to the L4s.
This is what really blows my mind about the Crees.