Any 1 cell headlamps??

Spordin

Enlightened
I've been searching for a 1 cell headlamp (either AA or AAA) and haven't found any. (And no, I'm not talking about clipping a regular light to a ball cap.) Are there any made that get decent runtimes?

Illum

Flashaholic
how decent are you talking about?

single celled headlamps usually require a boost circuit to work and usually single AA or AAA cells dont last too long

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-3/qid=1172358377/ref=sr_1_3/602-3928069-3193403?ie=UTF8&asin=B000COTSSY
this is the only one I know that uses a single cell...it uses a single LED as the mainbeam:ohgeez:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]its referred to as [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Coast [/font]LL7451 "Micro Headlamp"[/font]

there is also the Gerber tracer that uses a single AAA, not much on ooutput either:ohgeez:

Last edited:

Spordin

Enlightened
Thanks. I'm kinda stupid when it comes to particulars, but if the Infinity Ultra can get 3 days on 1 AA, or the Fenix EO can get 10 hrs on 1 AAA, and they can put out not a lot, but still a reasonable amount of light, shouldn't it be possible to use the same electronics in a headlamp-type assembly and get similar output/runtimes? Or maybe most headlamp makers are trying for more light output than those lights give?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've had a CMG Tracer for quite a while. It doesn't get used much, but it's not too bad. Brightness is about what you'd expect from two 5mm LEDs. It's just right for walking around and reading, but won't give much beyond maybe twenty feet. Seems to have good runtime, but I've never really tested it. Water resistance is bad, unfortunately, and the clickie switch is flakey. Gerber has another newer 1 AAA model called the Triode that may be a better choice now, but I've never seen a review of it.

Geoff

Spordin

Enlightened
Thanks, I will check those out. The Mini-Titan 0.3-Watt Headlamp w/ a runtime of 33hrs. sounds interesting. When it's really dark outside, you don't need much light to see. Price sounds decent.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good point, Spordin - I've done tracking overnight for many a SAR response, and I always liked to take the tail with my Ultra-G and my old-school PT Matrix 3-LED headlamp. When it's THAT dark, you don't need much to see what's around you..

Lefselight

Newly Enlightened
If you have a CMG Infinity or Infinity Ultra just get a Ray-O-Vac Kid's Adventure headlamp. Unscrew the pivot bolt for the lamp. Take off the lamp. What you want to do is put the pivot bolt through the hole for the lanyard lug along with some spacers on each side of the lanyard lug. I used 4 nuts for 1/4" x 20 bolts for spacers. Fits perfectly. You will probably want to flip the whole assembly over, so that the pivot on the headllamp bracket is uppermost, as the light sits kind of low if the the pivot is down closest to your eyes, although you may like it that way. I don't. Take off the over the top of your head strap. You don't really need it and I find it a bit short for adult sized heads (at least my big melon). There are cutouts in the slots for the straps, so this is easily done. And there you have it. A 1AA headlamp with the brightness of a CMG Infinity (Ultra) with the electronics of a CMG Infinity and the runtime of a CMG Infinity, because it is a CMG Infinity. I find the regular Infinity about the right brightness for reading in bed. The Ultra is a little too bright for me. I have my regular Infinity set up this way and if I want more brightness I just switch heads with my Ultra.

cy

Flashaholic
Streamlight Argo HP converted to one 17670 li-ion gives excellent performance

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
Streamlight Argo HP converted to one 17670 li-ion gives excellent performance

cy gives a fantastic option above...

i personally run a EOS with a single 10440 (lithium ion AAA) modded to parallel using Silverfox's method .... Runtime isn't the best... but if you run it on low it'll last about 15 hours... if you let the cell recover you'll get even more life...

Skibane

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
Gerber has another newer 1 AAA model called the Triode that may be a better choice now, but I've never seen a review of it.

A review (of sorts) here.

ETA: Seems that most single-cell headlamp manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot by using the AAA format. A single AA cell contains roughly the same energy as 3 AAA cells, in a form factor that is smaller, lighter, less expensive, and more readily-available. Essentially, a single AA-cell headlight would give you all the benefits of lights that use 3 AAA cells, with few of their disadvantages.

Last edited:

EKL

Newly Enlightened
Just spotted a single AA powered Luxeon 1 (w/ Optic) headlamp from Browning called "Zero Gravity". Claimed 2 hr runtime on high.

Looks very interesting but at $38CDN, it is too expensive for an impulse buy .

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
EKL said:
Just spotted a single AA powered Luxeon 1 (w/ Optic) headlamp from Browning called "Zero Gravity". Claimed 2 hr runtime on high.

That Browning ZeroG does look interesting. Has an aluminum housing, or at least an aluminum head assembly. Should make for a little better efficiency, because it'll keep the LED a little cooler.

Here's a Nuwaii headlamp I just happend across:
http://www.nuwai.com.tw/led_headlight/hlx_2011aa.htm

1AA cell, two levels and strobe, 40 to 51 lumens, 1.5 hr high, 6.5 hr low.

Looks promising. Anyone seen these for sale anywhere?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if the Nuwai could be modded to accept a Cree or Seoul?