A2 Fuel Cell Flashlights

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! I've never heard of this light before, but it looks awesome. If it really does what it says I want one!:drool:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, These lights have been around for sometime, they were never popular as they are very costly to run, Hydrogen Fuel is expensive and if there was a leak
it would go off with a Bang. There are better lights around which use the new Cree Led
and they use regular rechargeable cells

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
refer to the previous threads please:naughty::naughty::naughty:

Eh give Lightcrazycanuck a break, not everyone knows everything about every other flashlight.:ohgeez:

Illum

Flashaholic
Lightcrazycanuck said:
OPPPPS,

Newbie mistake,Sorry

is not a problem, im here to give you suggestions, not to scold you of your n00b mistakes. Dont feel pressured on the forum :grin2:.

I thought you'd be interested to see what else people have posted about similar topics. also, next time try the "google search" on the top of the forum's title bar. you'd be surprised that just about any topic you can think about has been discussed on the forum.

notice I put ":naughty:" beside the sentence:grin2:

I apologize if there was a misunderstanding. Cheers :wave:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
WoW...talk about different! I wonder what they cost...where to get hydrogen at to recharge...needs to have a Cree in their. Bet that would be a very collectable light...wonder how many are made.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I'll be interested in one of these when they can make it run on Bhutane from standard Bhutane lighter refill canisters.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Illum

Flashaholic
theres the "hydrogen charging docking unit" thats purchased separately to power the flashlight :ohgeez:

something about "releasing steam as byproduct" that alone discourages me of leaving it in my pocket...:awman:

If lint gets clogged in the fuelcell hopefully wont cause hotspots and start a fire...theres alot more technology that has to be discovered and put into this light before it becomes practical....

fuel cell technology is still in its premature state IMO

Illum

Flashaholic
it is...but the way fuel cell works is using hydrogen and oxygen to form water...between the process the assembly will produce some heat, and supposedly the heat is ducted away by heat of vapotization...hence the "output of steam as byproduct"

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams3 said:
WoW...talk about different! I wonder what they cost...
To quote myself:

I contacted Aron at Angstrom. The flashlights are $1,200 (US) apiece and you'd need a $2,500 refilling station to go with it.

Illum

Flashaholic
Ken_McE said:
To quote myself:

I contacted Aron at Angstrom. The flashlights are $1,200 (US) apiece and you'd need a $2,500 refilling station to go with it.

$3700!!!!!!????:ohgeez:
I fear to know what insured shipping is....

yep...:shakehead: your paying for the technology

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the website:
The high brightness 1 Watt Luxeon LED produces white light with 10X the brightness of similar LEDs for the same amount of power.
The only 1W LEDs that put out <5 lumens that I can think of are UV LEDs that happen to release a very small portion of their energy in the deep blue/violet region of the visual spectrum :ohgeez:

I don't see the point of the fuel cell, especially considering there are 18650 flashlights for under $100 just as bright with almost the same runtime (Lumapower M1 on low comes to mind). For $3K they could get some of the cutting-edge high end LiIon rechargeables designed for use in Hybrid cars, and ship the lights with a super-rapid charger that could refill them in two minutes, complete with forced air cooling, if you absolutely must refill on a whim. (Or you could carry a few charged up spares. 18650s cost less than $10)

I just fail to see the point of hydrogen fuel cells, especially in vehicles. Hydrogen has much worse energy density than gasoline or diesel, and is significantly less efficient as an energy storage medium than battery systems. You end up wasting more than half of the energy in the electrolysis process, and of that, you waste a lot more compressing and transporting the hydrogen, and finally, converting it back to electricity in the fuel cell has even more losses. With good low-impedance batteries, losses at every one of those stages are very low by comparison.

Finally, most of the hydrogen at this point is simply converted from methane gas -- it would be much more efficient to simply burn the methane in a hybrid natural gas vehicle (still extremely clean burning) than go through all the conversions to hydrogen.