Widefield illumination

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix L1D CE and am disappointed with its narrow field of illumination. Except for the switch, I actually prefer the 2 AA MiniMag LED as it gives a wider area of illumination even though centrally it is not as bright. Can anyone suggest a LED flashlight that will give a widely lit field? I would like a white light with no tint and preferably two brightness settings. Anything between 40 - 80 lumens would be OK and I would prefer a push-button clickie switch to the twist.

CheviotMike
http://mstecker.com

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... Is the total width really that much more narrow on the Fenix than the Mag?

For a long time, the Nuwai Q3 was considered to have one of the widest beams of mainstream, reasonably priced LED lights. When the Fenix L1P/L2P came out, it was almost identical, except the hotspot (brightest central part of the beam) was wider on the Q3 than the Fenix.

Are you saying that the spillbeam (from edge of light to edge of light) it is too narrow or the hotspot diameter (edge of brightest part to edge of brightest part) is too narrow?

If you want a larger spillbeam, I don't know what to tell ya. If you want a larger hotspot, the Lux V lights are known to have wider hotspots. The Surefire L2 and L4 are famous for it. But I don't think the spill beams are any wider.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can remove/replace the lens (unfortunately, not with the Fenix), you're not limited to just wide-angle lights, you can go to flashlightlens.com and drop a LDF lens which diffuses the beam.

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
Hello Cratz2:
Thank you for your help. I was more interested in control of the total diameter of illumination and not the central bright spot. I guess, that because the MiniMag LED can be focused, you have better control of the width of the illuminated field. The Fenix L1D CE is much brighter, but I miss the focusing that the MiniMag uses.

CheviotMike

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... I hear ya. I don't own a few Fenix lights as well as MANY other lights and to be honest, the diameter of the spillbeam of the Fenix is just about as wide as any of the rest. I think it's a function of having a reflector.

I think the widest beam of any of my lights is a modded Solitaire with a single 5mm LED (the relatively dim type) so close to the lens, that I had to sand the LED down to get it to fit in the head. But it's probably only putting out 15 lumens at the most... probably between 10 and 12.

As I said, the L2 and L4 are known for their very wide hotspots, but I honestly don't think that the entire spill beam diameter is any wider than most LED lights.

Have a look over at flashlightreviews.com or maybe (hopefully) someone will come along with a great idea for you.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumapower LM-301 works great with a Cree/Seoul and the stock reflector. The light distribution and spill is fanastic. I think I just bought the last two, though.

Last edited: