Dorcy 123 K2 120 lumen now at Sears

InfidelCastro

Banned
I did not know they were at Sears already!

Yes, it looks like a prop out of a bad Science Fiction B-movie.

But maybe that's part of the appeal because I kind of like it for some strange reason. :D

I think I can resist at $40, but if it goes on sale anytime soon I will most likely be picking one up.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to say it, but I kinda like the look of it as well.

I'm sure I'll end up with one, but I'll try to put it off until they are on sale.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Monolith said:
It got poor reviews for quality in the other thread.

I saw that. The good thing about buying it in the store is you can handpick. :)

I won't be buying one with an off-center emitter.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Is this light really 120 lumens ? I am thinking of getting one but not sure it's gonna be brighter than my Surefire army green G2 with KL5 100 lumen led on it.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Re: Dorcy 123 K2 120 lumen regulated or not ?

I'm thinking of getting one but not sure it is a good buy in terms of quality. Also is this light really 120 lumens and regulated ?

adnj

Enlightened
I just dropped a Surefire on the garage floor. Those rubber guards are making sense to me.

LGCubana

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1861354
Niteowl said:
Down to the brass tacks.... I was dissapointed in the output of this light. I had expected it to be much brighter. My brightest 3w light, Pelican's M6 blows it away. The Dorcy's got a much larger hotspot and it's not very smooth. This could be part of the problem. The off-center emitter surely doesn't help any at all. I expressed my dissapointment to Jamie and hopefully it will be resolved before production gets rolling. The light is 9 feet from the wall and has about a 16 foot wide sidespill.

000_1695.jpg

A close-up with different exposure to show the off-center emitter affect.

I'll try for better beamshots later, still trying to get a technique down. I found I had no white walls in the house and went into the basement where I had bare drywall.

Runtime is unkown at this time. I did notice the head was warm after being on about ten minutes straight for beamshots.

Overall it's a neat light, very tough. With the large spot and wide spill, the light has potential if the emitter centering/output issue is resolved. I'm just not sure it will be bright enough to live up to Dorcy's 6w/120 lumen hype. I'll post updates regarding any improvements that may occur.

lightinsky

Enlightened
So it is not really putting out 120 lumens from what was said about the comparison to the Pelican m6. Is it still good compared to other lights in it's price category of 40 bucks ?

x2x3x2

Banned
YAY! finally out huh, i was lookin forward to this light, purely for the design of the body.

Any online stores where i can get it?

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is about as bright as my Golston 7Watt. I have run it with two 3.7 volt batteries for a short time and it is as bright as the Golston.

I don't like the belt clip. Have not figured how to get it apart cleanly yet.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I was in Sears today to buy a gas can. That's a story in and of itself, three salesmen were involved in that transaction.

Anyways, before that I stopped by the flashlight section and there were three for sale. I looked them over. They were smaller than I thought they would be, the picture suggested a larger light. Anyways the first one I looked at had an off center emitter, so I grabbed another and looked like the same only not quite as bad. Grabbed the last one and it looked centered.

I really was not that tempted to buy it though at $40 + tax. So I put them back on the rack. I was wondering to myself as I put them back if this light is a tactical clicky or a reverse style clicky..

Niteowl

Enlightened
Pellidon said:
It is about as bright as my Golston 7Watt. I have run it with two 3.7 volt batteries for a short time and it is as bright as the Golston.

I don't like the belt clip. Have not figured how to get it apart cleanly yet.

I don't care for the clip either.

I put a rag around the body and carefully clamped it in my 5" bench vise. I then used a small strap wrench on the head just above the clip. The clip has an index tab that fits in a recess in the body. It helps to place the clip against the jaw of the vise to help keep the body from turning. I ended up with a small gap where the clip resided upon reassembly. You run the risk of loosening the rubber covering on the body.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of these, and it is an obnoxious looking light.

Output is nowhere near 120Lu, probably about half that. I bet the beam quality will very greatly from sample to sample, though.

It would be a good car light, as the rubber shrouds are really good at protecting the light. It kind of bounces when it drops.

--dan

mhubble

Enlightened
I bought one of these a couple of days ago. Already took it back.Not very bright. Really small hot spot. Did have really good throw. I took it apart by just unscrewing it. Could probably be modded easily. Ive got a Ultrafire k2 that was cheaper and brighter.