Building a 4-5 XR-E Mag light, need sugestion

mds82

Enlightened
I am doing a custom mod of a 3-D mag light and need a bit of help if someone could give me a few pointers. I'm still waiting on the optics so i'm not sure how many XR-E's i can fit, but i'm thinking 4 with optics and maybe 1 without. Anyways.
My big question is the driver... I have read up a lot on the Shark diver, but i'm not really sure if that will work with a standard 3-D battery setup.

Can someone give me a hand with this please?

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
This is a thread all about the Shark driver. I am more of a Direct Drive person whenever possible so I haven't really read up on this.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/105492

One thread by Elektrolumens stated, IIRC, that the most number of Cree optics he could fit into the Mag head was 3. ah ha https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/150586 3rd post. But maybe you can think of 4 Crees. 3 with optics, one without.

However, given that you are going for the max 980mA for each Cree, that would mean an output power of 0.98A X 3.2V X 4 = 12.544W. Assuming 100% efficiency (don't know the exact efficiency...) with 3 NiMH D cells, you have voltage of 1.2V. that means a current of 12.544 / 3.6V = 3.48A. That is threading too closely to the limit of 4A of the shark driver. However, if you are using 9AA NiMH using a 9AA-3D holder (sold by fivemega and modamag), the input current would be 1.161A which is pretty safe.

If you should decide to do direct drive, with 3 NiMH D cells, you can get pretty much run any number of Crees you can fit into a mag head with each seeing a current of 350mA or so. This would definitely be less impressive than the setup with the shark at 980mA but you should have zero heat issues given a decent heatsink.

Runtimes - in the 3 setups above, runtimes are approximately as follows:

-3 NiMH D cells (10Ah each) with shark driver => 10 / 3.48 = 2.87h (provided when the cells' voltage do not fall below 1.2V. Otherwise, it may fry the shark driver first.)
-9 NiMH AA cells (2.5Ah each) with shark driver => 2.5 / 1.161 = 2.15h
- 3 D NiMH cells (10Ah each) direct drive => 10 / 1.4 = 7.14h

All calculations are assuming you use only 4 Crees.

Downboys could be used as well but i think the only way to use them with 4 Crees would be to use 12NiMH AAs and i think regulation would only be for a while before they go direct drive. 14.4V supplied and (12.8+1 )V required.

I may have some calculations wrong here so if anyone should spot any, please let me know. :D

mds82

Enlightened
Thank you very much for your response. One question regarding your calculation using the shark driver.

If i was to run the Cree's at about 700ma, then for an output power i would need 0.7 x 3.2 x 4 = 8.96watts. With 3NiMH D Cells, 9.86 / 3.6V = 2.49A. Would that be safer for the Shark driver?

Thank you again

cqbdude

Enlightened
I would suggest the Shark ... I have built 5 quad and tri Cree Mags with them as the driver and they work great...

In fact I just built a Quad Mag1C this evening ... I will post in a bit...

mpf

Enlightened
>But maybe you can think of 4 Crees. 3 with optics, one without.

I have 10 Crees with optics in 2D mag at present which I intend to drive a 1A each. Still working on how to get rid of the heat.

matthew

Last edited: