Tech 40 w/switch

redbird

Enlightened
Like many on this board I have a Tech 40. I would find it considerably more user friendly if it had a switch like the Surge. The same goes for the Rage.

I contacted PT and they said they are considering it. Their target markets are divers and cavers so they are reluctant to add the switch for safety. However, the did say they were considering adding it.
smile.gif

I wonder if they monitor this board?

Am I the only one who would like them to have switches?
confused.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Redbird:

Beware of what you ask for because you may get it! My favorite high output flashlight for quite a while was my PT400, a double barreled C cell light that comes with a HPR 5.2 W .85 amp bulb.I bought it retail the same day in the late 1980's I bought my first PT40.

One day the Surge-like switch of the PT400 broke off. I could see no way to repair the light so I threw it away except for the bulb. Perhaps PT would have replaced the light, but this was several years ago and I wasn't web conscious enough to try.

I like PT. I use my wide angle and narrow angle PT40's with overdriven 3-cell bulbs and Nimh's all the time. (The narrow beam PT40 is the one I bought with the PT400) I keep a PT Impact in my glove compartment as my long run emergency light.

Twist on activation lights don't break. I can't remember how many flashlights have broken on me over the last half century plus.

On the other hand, I do keep my 6 watt Surge with Alkaline batteries in my glove box as a medium run time emergency light backing up my flame throwing shorter run time rechargeable DB 8AA with 18W UKE bulb and 7 Watt Mag 4C lights with 1.7 amp Carley bulb that I use when my Coleman 4D combo lantern / fluorescent with HPR 5.0 V 1.25 A bulb, ARC LS, Enova X5, 8x, E2, or PT40 with Nimh's and 3.85 V 1.2 A lamps aren't enough. I don't plan on overworking the Surge switch, however.

(We won't talk about the rechargeable 18 Watt UKE 1200, Mag 3D with Carley 1.7 A bulb, Scorpion or Legend LX that ride in my wife's car.)

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
A tip for the Tec 40:

Rotate the bezel just past where it turns on, then ease off a fraction of a turn. You should be able to turn it on and off with one hand with just a slight rotation. Rotate out a half turn for storage. If the action isn't smooth enough, reapply some silcone.

redbird

Enlightened
Lux
That is a good tip. However, I have applied silicone grease to this light an to both my rages. When I turn the bezel they seem to be stuck.

The hint of turning it only a fraction is great.
wink.gif

Latest posts