Opinions on WL + it's products?

Ashton

Enlightened
As some of you doubtlessly noticed, I recently joined and have been reading the WL forum @ lasercommunity.com and there are a large # of people there that sware the WL's devices are built a lot better, have better support, are more compact, and gennerally are worth the extra $$$.

Anyone have any feelings on this? with the exception that I *might* one day get a spyder (looking at that simply bc of the size of the spyder compared to a laser like the herc) I've been looking 100% at other sites because of the cost (125mw for $230!) But if WL will indeed withstand more and last longer, it may be worth it.

On that note, anyone use WL's Dragon Cases? they look like they're worth their weight in gold for protecting a pen-sized laser!

cyberindie

Newly Enlightened
The lasercommunity.com forum does seem quite biased toward WL - hardly surpising really.

I do hear their customer support is ok but there does seem to be quite a worrying number of customers who have to return their lasers due to faults. From what I've read WL customer support is good and they do exchange with a working laser.

WL have little to no safety features. Personally I value my eyesight so I prefer a laser with safety features built in. But a lot of people don't like the hassle involved with safety features and prefer to risk their eyes. Having said that I've only heard of one WL user having eyesight problems due to a laser so maybe as long as your careful safety features are unnecessary.

Reading their WL forums it does seem WL are quite variable. You might buy a 15mw laser but find it's really a 55mw laser. Good if you want more power, bad if you only actually wanted 15mw.

I own 1 LaserGlow laser (http://www.laserglow.com )- a Galileo 5mw - very good. Customer service at LaserGlow is good too - I've spoken to them on the phone and friendly and easily to communicate with ( unlike some sellers ).

I've got a 200mw Aries on order - will let you know how good it is.

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Ashton said:
I've been looking 100% at other sites because of the cost (125mw for $230!) But if WL will indeed withstand more and last longer, it may be worth it.
Hi Ashton,
In the quote above, what did you mean by "withstand more and last longer"?

Withstand more what, What do you want to last longer?
I'm not trying to stir things up or anything, I'm just wanting to know what is is you want your next laser to withstand more of.

Thanks
Jack

SmithB

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 15mw green, and they sent me a 30mw model. Not sure if they were out of stock and upgraded me, or it was their mistake, but I was happy with that.

I doubt they "last" any longer than anyone else.

Timelord

Newly Enlightened
I've had a few WL products and the most reliable was my 100mw Pulsar. As for their forum it seems to be hostile and immature, with to many schools kids with no money a silly dreams. Not to mention the amount of bitching that goes off if you even say the name of another laser company. Whilst their are some good members over the i'm afraid to say it ruined by the juveniles...

SenKat

Enlightened
Cyberindie - you are gonna LOVE your Aries 200 ! I have a 175. It OUTPERFORMS their minimum specs by a long shot - runs at 193mw continuously, and 217 peak ! My next laser is not going to be as large - I am really torn between the DL-125 and the Envee....I like the safety features, and the batts of the Envee....but the dragon is more portable !

WL products do not last any longer than any others' products out there that I have seen. I have repaired more Wicked Lasers than any other brand out there, not sure why...that is just what I have observed. The number of returns I hear about on the LC forum is astounding, yet - you have to expect that you will hear more complaints than compliments - especially when it is run as tight as it is....

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
All of the pen-laser selling companies I know of have issues with delivering what they claim, and though WL is one of the better ones, they have their problems too.

Like SenKat was saying, Aries lasers from LaserGlow are a good choice if you want to be certain of your power and get a more stable laser, as well as some other notables like optotronics lasers. Sometimes though WL offers what other companies don't, and you'll just have to take the good with the bad in those instances. At least they have good customer service for problematic lasers.

Ashton

Enlightened
I dont know about support, I emailed them last thursday when my order sat for a week without leaving "processing" status. However, today my order shipped (to arive tomorrow, supposedly!) so they may have decided that isnce this was purely an issue about my order not being filled, that it was resolved eith shipment.

FRom what I've read, WL seems to underrate their products. For isntance, According to the forums, the Pulsar 125 really outputs close to 180. So I'm wondering why they're underrating them in the discriptions (since tehy're already outside the FDA regulations completely!)

and @ senkat: You might be getting more WL lasers simply because tehy're popular so more people are buying them. If you want a sleek "pointer" (and not a baseball bat) and a garountee that it will get in or your money back, they seem to be the best game around.

Personally, I'm doubtful, usually when a company is ripping people off, they tend to have at best average products. however, $230 is not as bad for a 180mw as for a 125, so...

Guess I'll see when it arrives... As of right now, the only laser of theirs I'm really interested in now is the spyder because it has the power of the aries/hurcules and is much more compact (though I have to wonder how stable it is, being so small...)

cyberindie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks SenKat - I'm very excited about it ariving - which is pretty sad really - I do have a life honest!

Just bought the Optics Kit from Optotronics ( www.optotronics.com/optics_kit.php ). Something to use with my 5mw.

I was very tempted by Optotronics's RPL 260 but was put off by:

It's limited duty cycle ( 2 - 3mins )

And

It's average output measurement is over 20 seconds - whereas LaserGlow is over 10 mins.

Still the Optotronics stuff does look very good - esp if you just plan to use it in shortish bursts. Customer service is excellent too.

SenKat

Enlightened
I too ordered one of their optics kits, and will be posting a review here, and on LPF for those interested - I also purchased some "fleabay" optics to run a comparison with. I can already tell you that it most likely will NOT be difficult to outperform the fleabay optics sets I received.....:awman:

Ashton - I was not hammering WL at all - as the lasers I get in for repair are definitely out of warranty lasers, and have lived a full life as it were ! There are quite a few companies out there that guarantee their items, most with a fairly generous "buyers remorse" period, where you can return the item for full credit if you are not satisfied. WL is not the only game in town though - even for smaller than "baseball bat" lasers. Everyone in the market should look at all the companies out there, and make the best decision possible for their own budget and needs.

Last edited:
M

madscientist

well.. i thought there were well built till i had to rma the laser a day after receiving it.

just tested it for a while and the next day i was about to go stargazing.. laser didnt power up at all. was a little mad.

their shipping is fast, but the postage's like usd 20-22 bucks to get it back to them via EMS for rma.. DHL/Fed-ex is insane.

gecko991

Newly Enlightened
They make a good Laser though recently seem to have there hands full with returns. I have bought a couple pen types from them and they where great with zero problems but what concerns me now is that with the price of for example there Spyder Series IMo they have a little too many returns for me for what they are charging for being one the best Companys out there. Unfortunately if you seeking a small pen type yet powerful Laser there are very few good places to buy from with a credible reputation. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Ashton

Enlightened
I've been playing with my pulsar and so far have been thrilled with everything but the price (picked up another one with a higher wattage for less than my full order of laser + 2 cases!) Since the glue holding the focus lens broke in shipping (cant see where ther was any to begin with!) and it's now out of warrenty :( I went ahead and performed the focus modification and while I was very happy with my pulsar before, I'm now EXSTATIC! The laser's high powered (why they rate it @ 125mw on their site and 150mw on the unit I dont know --- and there are some ppl who laser-checked theirs and are getting as much as 180mw at peak!) and now I can do from pointing focus (infinity) to burning forus (<2') in seconds! no external lens needed!

My only concern with WL now is the spyder (which is going to be my next major purchase (outside of possibly a 100mw greenie from DX for $100 --- I already have a 220mw-grade IR filter I can install)) because the laser is so high mW and so small (thermal issues) they *claim* it has no duity-cycle, but I dont see how that's possible with it being the size it is! (can anyone who's seen/used/disected a spyder chime in?)

but I'm not too concerned with that since I plan on getting it by saving WickedBucks from pics/vids and getting it for $1 (IIRC, if you spend _any_ money on the purchase you get 15% back, meaning the 1500 laser, gotten for 1499WB and $1, gives me 15% of 1500! (225 wb) which is almost enough to buy another laser, or some nice goggles/batteries/whatever