Lube - Conductive or Non-Conductive?

martonic

Enlightened
I've seen a lot of different lubes recommended - bicycle wax, a non-conductive lube from Radio Shack, and a conductive lube called Nyogel.

I put the Radio Shack lube in some lights on the O-rings and threads and in one case, it seemed to mess the light up - it does not work anymore unless the bezel is unscrewed a certain amount. I may have interrupted conductivity somewhere - but not sure how to clean that out. Suggestions?

Should we be putting one kind of lube on O-rings, and another kind in threads?

I would have thought conductive lube is dangerous, it risks shorting things - is that short-sighted?

What works? What doesn't work?

havand

Enlightened
Did you try 1) wiping off the lubricant then 2) using alcohol on a Q-tip to clean it off well?

I'd do that, reassemble then see how the light works. If it works fine, switch to a different, conductive lubricant :) I just picked up some of the radioshack stuff myself and everything i've put it on has worked great.

javafool

Enlightened
martonic said:
I've seen a lot of different lubes recommended - bicycle wax, a non-conductive lube from Radio Shack, and a conductive lube called Nyogel.

The Nyogel 760 and 779 sold by Lighthound are both non-conductive. You can actually fill a connector with this compound, install the mating connector, and it will not short out pin to pin nor will it block the electrical flow through the pins.

I would have thought conductive lube is dangerous, it risks shorting things - is that short-sighted?

Not short-sighted at all. It is much easier to get conductive lube where you really don't want it than it is to ever get it off later.

Terry

LightScene

Enlightened
I've been using dielectric connector grease (100% silicone). It says it can be used on all electrical connections. You can get it at an auto parts store and it's very cheap for a life time supply. I'm not sure why the latest trend is towards more exotic lubes, but I'm willing to listen.

LightScene

Enlightened
For cleaning electrical contacts, you can get a product called Iso-HEET at Walmart. It is pure isopropyl alocohol. It is a "premium fuel-line antifreeze and water remover". You can use it with a Q-Tip. It comes in a 12 oz. red and yellow plastic body with a long thin neck.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything dielectric is best, Inova says to use silicone grease in their manuals,
I talked to Inova directly and they are actually using lithium grease in production for their line. I use silicone.
So either silicone grease or lithium grease will do the trick, pick your flavor...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
martonic said:
I put the Radio Shack lube in some lights on the O-rings and threads and in one case, it seemed to mess the light up...
Me too. It made the o-rings swell up and get soft like bad spaghetti. I'll still use the stuff, but only on thread. I won't let it touch o-rings.

I haven't had a problem with RS Lube Gel that I would attribute to conductivity, or lack thereof.