MULTI-FUNCTION TAIL CAP for SureFires

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
Hmmm. Something new on Brigade Quartermasters' website.
A multi-function tailcap. There is no photo of it on their site yet, and they say it is not for LEDs. However, there is a photo in their latest catalog New Products Flier. It also says that there will be an LED version soon. It also says in the catalog that it creates three power levels; 100% - 50% - 25%.

Among others, there is one for the E2, so I guess one may be able to put together a TRIPLE power level L4. You can read about it at actiongear.com. Search "LSF13"

It sounds interesting for $30. I'll try to get a photo posted. In the meantime I'll mention that it looks like an E2D tailcap with a raised knurled ring around it. It really looks good.

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is true, I think they will sell really well. I know I may need one or two :) Keep us updated...

atm

Enlightened
Sounds interesting, but hopefully it's not necessary to go through all the modes to turn it off? Not sure about the turning off after 15 mins either, could be very inconvenient.

Will await more details with interest.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wondered why no one would make something like that... guess the G&P strobe tailcap is the closest thing you could get for a 'circuit-controlled' tailcap... But not for LEDs? I don't think incan lights like to be underdriven like that, from what I've read here and there....

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with LEDcandle. In order to reduce the output of an incan, they must be underdriven. This is very bad for high performance lamps like the ones being used by Surefire. Their life could be considerably shortened. Strobing one may also have undesired results. Also, won't the output be very yellow?

This is a little curious: "Fits Surefire® G2, 6P, E2E and E2D Defender and more."

Those tailcaps are not all the same size.

Mark

rdh226

Enlightened
From reading the site...you have to press/click/tap/pound 6 times to turn it off?

Yuck.

Also, just my preference, I prefer first tap low[est], second tap middle, third
tap high[est], etc. -- i.e., assuming I'm in a dark[ish] environment, I don't like
turning on high and blinding me. I like to turn on low, then tap tap (genuflect,
gyrate, do the Macarena, whatever) to up the level to the desired level.

Be interesting to see how this works out, nice concept.

-RDH

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
I agree with LEDcandle. In order to reduce the output of an incan, they must be underdriven. This is very bad for high performance lamps like the ones being used by Surefire. Their life could be considerably shortened. Strobing one may also have undesired results. Also, won't the output be very yellow?

This is a little curious: "Fits Surefire® G2, 6P, E2E and E2D Defender and more."

Those tailcaps are not all the same size.

Mark

But then again (I believe I've asked before), I always wonder how come MR16 spotlights used at home can be controlled with dimming. That's pretty underdriven on the lowest setting. Maybe becuz 2000-4000 hr life bulbs can take it (they never seem to last this long though; might be due to the underdriving?). The 50-60 hrs life high pressure incans like the SF lamps might not.

Then again, what do I know :D