Ice Storm Flashlights?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody else get the big ice storm last night?? I was on my way home at around 4pm and it was rain when I left and ice-coating freezing rain when I got back on property. I had dinner with my wife at the office and by the time I made it back to my house the power had gone out at my wife's office, and they had a group of 30 staying overnight. I grabbed my new McGizmo light and my wife grabbed Kaytoo-onsee, and we headed back up. Barely made it up the hill, but we got there and were able to find bottled water and candles - with my sweet skills I was okay, but my wife did manage to temporarily disorient one of the ladies by pointing towards the bathroom with Kaytoo..

Anybody else have cool experiences with the ice??

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
ACMarina said:
Anybody else have cool experiences with the ice??
:awman: while shoveling the 13.5" of snow - I slipped on the 1 1/2" of ice under the snow :rant: left a nice cool impression on my posterior !
Was a doozy of a storm though - NWS says the worst is yet to come . Have plenty of batts? :popcorn:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm house-sitting for my in-laws and they don't keep much food in the house (at least none that I'm willing to eat). I heard it icing against the windows and about 20 minutes later, went down to go grab something to eat. It was crazy slippery. There was still a bit of snow on the side roads from the big storm a week back, but I slid about 5 times just going about 5 blocks to a restaurant.

We didn't lose electricity and there's too much random light to have any light fun at this residence, but a few years back, there was a pretty big ice storm. We lived in a very rural location and I got to have lots of fun. I'm a big fan of lower powered lights for indoor use though so there were no inadvertant blindings.

So... you got to be the hero for your wife's co-workers, eh?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up here along the Lake Michigan shore up to 16" of snow was predicted - we only got 3". :( This was once known as the "snow belt" area of Wisconsin but for the past 20 years the snow often misses us and falls in the Chicago and far north woods areas, instead. Damn, I miss the big blizzards of my youth.

arty

Enlightened
We had the same ice last night. I use Icers to walk the dog. They are rubber and attach to your shoes or boots with velcro straps. I got them at Lee Valley - they have cleats (really screw heads) on the bottom to provide traction.

You won't fall if you are wearing icers. They are highly recommended for ice storms!

I like the Inova X5 for walking in rain or snow. I have had to switch to a club-lite, since my wife was attacked by a big dog on Valentine's day.
I now carry a 3D Mag with a TerraLux Maxtar2 in it. The flood is not as good as the much smaller Inova.

I have a Cold Steel walkabout walking stick on the way, and I am considering other "walking sticks" for rainy or icy weather.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they're used to it by now - instead of asking if anybody has a flashlight they just yell for me ;)

InfidelCastro

Banned
Thankfully, I think most of it went sound of us, but we did have some very icy roads. I was using my Sure-Fire C3 with the just received Lumens Factory HO-9 bulb and my Inova T4.

I am impressed with the HO-9 so far. I like my T4 too :D

FirstMain

Newly Enlightened
We didn't get the ice storm here in Texas but had some possible tornado activity and straight-line winds in excess of 60 MPH. Blew over my neighbors mailbox and I found a few shingles laying around but no damage here.

I checked my antenna array (I'm a ham!) and no damage there, though I had cranked down my tallest vertical before the winds got too high.

We lost power about noon from powerlines being blown down, or shorting, and were withput power for about 4 hours. All my UPS's quit after the first hour so there wasn't much to do but turn on the scanner and take a nap.

Sadly (?) it all took place before dark but I did eagerly spread all my lights around in critical areas but other than trips to the john, didn't get to use them.

The wind shut down DFW airport completely for a couple of hours, played hell with scheduling and some flights were getting low on fuel before being diverted.

All in all, could have been worse...

Ron

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes we get ice and thick fog , I find that the M@G 4D with the Hallogen bulb punches through it with ease