L0D CE or wait for Jetbeam AAA ?

mpc

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Fenix L0D at Christmas time, I was very happy with the output.

Since then I have had a Lumapower 301, and a Jetbeam CE.

I was lucky to get a couple of good Jetbeams. The only trouble is, the L0D Lux III just doesn't seem that bright anymore.

I want to upgrade to a Cree based AAA, I assume it isn't that easy to just solder a Cree onto the L0D.

Do you think it is worth waiting for a Jetbeam AAA Cree - or just get a L0D CE
now ??

Thanks

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Jet AAA (though I've been very happy with my Jet MKII), but I do have a LOD CE, and I like it very much. Output is impressive, and the improved knurling/twist action on mine is terrific.

At $41.80 (w/ CPF discount) from 4sevens, I think it is a real bargain.

psyrens

Newly Enlightened
I saw in review section L0Dce can produce 150+ lumen with 10440.
Though the runtime is about 10min, it is pretty impressive given the size.
I ended up with clicking 'buy now' button yesterday...:awman:

mpc said:
I bought a Fenix L0D at Christmas time, I was very happy with the output.

Since then I have had a Lumapower 301, and a Jetbeam CE.

I was lucky to get a couple of good Jetbeams. The only trouble is, the L0D Lux III just doesn't seem that bright anymore.

I want to upgrade to a Cree based AAA, I assume it isn't that easy to just solder a Cree onto the L0D.

Do you think it is worth waiting for a Jetbeam AAA Cree - or just get a L0D CE
now ??

Thanks

Phredd

Enlightened
I just got my Jet C-LE on Friday. It took quite an effort to clean the threads and it's still rough compared to the Fenix (which came ready to use). Since it's a twisty, I'd definitely recommend the Fenix.

Phredd

mpc

Newly Enlightened
The deed is done. I await the L0D CE :)

Now that the L0D CE is out, is it worth selling the standard L0D in BST later ? are they still in demand ? - - Otherwise I will send it to my sister.

Thanks Matt.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
psyrens said:
I saw in review section L0Dce can produce 150+ lumen with 10440.Though the runtime is about 10min, it is pretty impressive given the size.

where can I get a deal on 10440s charger?
I wonder what David thinks about the 10440 :barf:
I would not expect or ask for any warranty service .

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
David doesn't recommend them! On high, the light pulls around 1.2A from this little 10440. The LED is overdriven and the cells too (almost 4C on the cell). Those cells are rated at a MAX discharge rate of 2C (600 mA). On medium/low, the current draw is within specs. On high, the light will become hot very fast and the 10440 may die much, much faster. I first got 10440 for my L0D, then I decided I didn't liked them and got the L0D-CE. The L0D-CE on NiMH is great! I would recomment using Eneloop in them and you'll be happy. L0D-CE on NiMH is slightly less bright than L0D on 10440. I still keep my standard L0D since I really like the 3 lumens low mode on NiMH. :)

tsask said:

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
WildChild said:
L0D-CE on NiMH is great! I would recomment using Eneloop in them and you'll be happy. L0D-CE on NiMH is slightly less bright than L0D on 10440. . :)
Thanks for the info

:goodjob:

any suggestions on where to get those Eneloop NiMH cells/ are they that much better than AAA alks?

psyrens

Newly Enlightened
I saw one being sold on dealextreme.com.
I agree with WildChild. I wouldn't abuse L0D with 10440, but the brightness reading was just amazing.
I got that number from this thread -> https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/152223
He also recommended not using 10440 over few minutes.

tsask said:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For me the question is L0Dce or wait for Liteflux LF2, but I'll be considering any other Cree AAA light. With all the good reviews it's becoming increasingly difficult to resist the Fenix however.

Geoff

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind the PWM, get the L0D-CE. It's a great light! I used to carry 2AA flashlights as EDC (L2T then L2D) but when I got the L0D-CE, I decided to EDC it instead! Some said it is as bright as the L1P on high. I cannot compare but yes it is bright! :) Nice bright flood and nice runtimes.

Flying Turtle said:
For me the question is L0Dce or wait for Liteflux LF2, but I'll be considering any other Cree AAA light. With all the good reviews it's becoming increasingly difficult to resist the Fenix however.

Geoff

LightScene

Enlightened
There doesn't seem to be any problem running the L0D-CE on 10440 at low or medium, and some people are even able to run it continually on high.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran it for 2 minutes bursts. It become enough hot to be not comfortable. Also, as I mentionned, it pulls 1.23A on high which is too much for a 10440 cell. Life of the cell may suffer much.

LightScene said:
There doesn't seem to be any problem running the L0D-CE on 10440 at low or medium, and some people are even able to run it continually on high.