>>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

You asked for it - and soon you shall have it!

In partnership with TerraLUX I'm thrilled to announce that BatteryJunction.com will be launching the new TerraLUX MiniStar 5 aka TLE-6EX which utilizes a SSC P4 U-bin LED and will work in any 3-6 C or D cell Maglite. The Seoul Semiconductor P4 (SSC P4) uses the same Cree EZ1000 die that's used in the Cree XR-E 7090 emitter but with greater efficiency and output.

ORDER link on the website - orders have already begun shipping and we'll have plenty of inventory for immediate shipment as of 3/19

Using the same driver as the TLE-6K2, which it replaces the TLE-6EX, is expected to output about 100-150 lumens at the emitter and is a simple drop in - no adapters, no dummy batteries, just plug and play.

-Regulated with the TerraLUX LED Light Engine for constant output.
-Maintains Maglite focusability.
-Extended runtimes significantly - 20 hrs at full output on 4 D cells!
-SUPER BRIGHT! AMAZING THROW!
-Output with 3 cells estimated at 100 lumens (3.3V 360ma at the emitter with 3 D cells as measured), output with 4-6 cells estimated at 150+ lumens at the emitter. (3.5V 620ma at the emitter with 4 D cells as measured) Lumen outputs based upon data in this thread.

Battery questions: The unit is optimized to work between 3-9V but APPARENTLY the voltage converter PCB can function up to 24V but will create more heat as the voltage goes higher. So, the item is warranted at up to 9V but will apparently work with much higher input voltages of any chemistry.

As usual coupon code: 'cpf2006' will save you 5% - USPS First Class shipping option for domestic orders will be <$4.

For international buyers we can offer air letter shipping for $5 anywhere in the world but as it's uninsurable the risk is your own. If you want this service please check out at the air parcel rate (will be $15-20) then just send me an EMAIL (NO PM's please) immediately afterwards with your order number and I will adjust your order.

Photo of prototype:
theshorelinemarket_1939_40415872

Regulation - details are from TLE-6K2 but as the driver is the same we expect this to be unchanged:
MAXSTAR5

Please see this thread for a custom MOD version which should be functionally identical. Beamshots included!

Prototype beamshots, etc coming when I have time. You can see EngPaul's beamshots in the thread linked above though he did have an aluminum OP reflector installed.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6E!<<<

nice to know i already have a preprotypte in use already,and i have a uswoh & another maxstar on the way :) this is a very good light to have in a blackout, long runtime and just point it at the ceiling while walking around or place it on a table and it just lights up a room

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6E!<

"Ministar" should be Maxstar "on your site" but you will prolly have those ministars soon too :grin2:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6E!<<<

Nope - they're dropping the MaxStar moniker (long story) so the whole line will be MiniStars from now on. A bit confusing I know. :)

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened

Matt, will this upgrade drop in my "new mm 4d led " I would love to have the seoul emitter which doesn't go dimmer with the "thermal" protection which the cheapo mag guys substituted for quality thermal engineering. thanks for your quality products.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6E!<

OCEANBEAMER said:
Matt, will this upgrade drop in my "new mm 4d led " I would love to have the seoul emitter which doesn't go dimmer with the "thermal" protection which the cheapo mag guys substituted for quality thermal engineering. thanks for your quality products.
I don't think it's really possible for any drop-in mod to improve heat transfer -- the problem is that the socket that the LED module is placed into is thermally isolated by the cammed reflector and spring-loaded pedestal. The entire light would have to be significantly reengineerd to allow conduction through the pedestal to the outside, or by using a aluminum reflector and thermally conductive oil.

Nonetheless a seoul in a mag type light is attractive looking LED light, as I usually only use these sort of lights for a few minutes at a time anyway, but for those occasions where longer runtime is needed, it would be nice to see the light maintain the high brightness. It's too bad that it doesn't go up to full brightness for the 3D lights (my old unused 3D mag is the biggest light I have) but I'd guess that the 3D will be the best for it in terms of heat -- it's not driving the LED as hard, and since 3 Cells under load will essentially be proper forward voltage of the LED anyway, so there should be less losses in the convertor.

If they made one of these with a boost circuit to run off of 2D, I'd definitely get one.

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened

Wow, nice. I'll probably buy at least three of these.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SSC P4's simply run cooler and more efficient than the Luxeons do and TerraLUX's design has more heatsink.

I THINK it will work with the MagLED - same PR base, right?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

for 2d i highly recommend the db-1w-d and mod it w/seoul ,thats what i use

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

for 2d i highly recommend the db-1w-d and mod it w/seoul ,thats what i use , the ouput is almost the same as my 3dw/seoul just a Tiny bit dimmer ...to a normal person they prolly couldnt tell a difference

server busy causing doublepost :sweat:

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah... anything that will work in the Mag incand will work in the same cell Mag LED. The Mag LED even comes with a spare incand bulb in the tailcap!

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened

Oh damn! I was thinking about the K2 upgrade about nearly 3 weeks now.
After concerning between a new Cree based one, I'm now tempted...

Oh Terralux, what are you doing to us?:thanks:

I'm planning to run id in a 2-D Mag Host with two of this here:
"http://www.powerleds.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p152_3-AA-zu-D-Cell-Adapter.html"

and 6 Eneloops:naughty:

So when will the first one really ship?

Mr.Urahara

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

expected to begin shipping on or around 3/8 - give or take a few days.

BMRSEB

Enlightened

Hmmm.. Wonder if it's crazy to buy a new incand 3D/C Mag and do the drop in.. Kinda' silly huh, being there are brighter smaller ones out there?:ohgeez: But, I always wanted a Mag.. (pouting)..:awman: I think I'll do it, maybe a 4D so I can use it for "clobbering" (as suggested by Mr. Urahara).. :sssh:

Last edited:

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened

well.. I don't think it's silly to buy a new mag.

Advantages for me: Expected runtime on a 3D Mag like 10 Hours? or even more? Proof can be given when the drop-in arrives... ( Fully regulated at maybe 100 Lumens? / More on 4C/D : advertised 150 Lum on emitter, i would point at 130 or 120 around.)

So show me another STOCK! LED-Light with this specs... Size doesn't matter for me, i will use this light for long operations maybe 6 or 7 hour a night over. Just perfect i think. ( A neat side effect is that you have a heavy beating tool if really needed.)

I just can't wait to get mine:rock:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're gonne buy new I'd go with a 4 C/D - tons of output, tons of throw, insane runtime.

Mr.Urahara - The current of the driver was measured earlier today - not battery current but true current/voltage at the emitter - the lumens were extrapolated from the linked thread. I state emitter lumens because we simply don't know the efficiency of the optic. I'd expect a runtime ~18 hours on 3 D cells based upon the current.

I've got a prototype and this thing is damned impressive.

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened

how is it compared to the maxstar5? how bout a beamshot comparison matt? can't wait to see

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you tried it in a 2C or 2D light at all? Does it even light up?

I know everyone wants bigger/brighter/faster/better, but I think there might be a market for something like the SMJLED, but maybe twice as bright and without the degredation issue. With the effeciency of Cree/SSC, that should provide CRAZY runtime on only 2 C or D cells.

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened

@MattK: That's why i said maybe... I don't know how long runtime is, but when it's nearly the same like the old drop-in it will be just kickin *** insane! About output: I don't think the stock reflektor is any close to good performance, so a nice new aluminium one will be used. The P4 driven

@cratz2: Why don't you try those 3AA to D Converter? I think 5Mega has some.
Runtime won't be THAT good, but with NiHm or Lithiums i think it will be a good size/output light.

Status
Not open for further replies.