Klarus        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Thinking Re: Invest a Few Hours, READ, and Make Your Own 'Informed' Decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by yite View Post
    Many thanks to Vali for your reply. (Jeez, that makes sense!)

Sorry I can't understand the computer system used in this forum and can't find a phone number to call someone to clarify what I should do to spare regular users the torture of "newbies".
    yite,

This is a "Volunteer" Forum, not a "Paid" Service. The folks who participate do so because they enjoy it - they are under no obligation to continue to do so. And, they may even choose to ignore certain questions. That's how a Forum works. There's no phone number to call - it's all 'Self-Service'.

...(It seems that above what I'm writing here in my message is stuff starting with completely extraneous material, for which I apologise but can't rectify.)

I did post another query which I hope someone can answer (probably revealing my ignorance, which I happily acknowledge):
    IMHO, the *BEST* thing a "Newbie" can do to cure 'ignorance' is to Invest a Few Hours, READ, and Make Your Own 'Informed' Decisions...

That's what I did when I first arrived here (SEVERAL hours per week for a few MONTHS!) and that's how my Sig Line LINKs came into being. There's LOTs of good info in there - put on a pot of coffee, sit down for a few hours and READ... (MUCH easier than finding all the info yourself! )

...I'm in the market for a charger with at least four independent charging circuits...
    If you want to LEARN about rechargeable batteries, the CPF Archives are definitely one of the BEST places to visit. EVERYTHING you need to know is here - most of it BURIED in thousands upon thousands of posts - BUT, it's here! (Some folks have even assembled FAQs on different subjects - check the STICKYs at the top of each forum.)

If you want to USE rechargeable batteries without investing the time reading, buy the Maha MH-C9000 and several packs of Eneloops and just use them.

Unenlightened

Default Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Many thanks for all your help!

Will now try to buy a unit, perhaps when visiting the US this month.

Is there a reliable way to charge C and possibly D size cells with this charger? It would seem that you lose the over-temperature feature, so I'm not sure how safe that would be.

Does anyone make adapters that are like the reverse of the AA to C adapters, so that you could charge a C size battery in this charger (like a dummy AA with wires to a battery tray that holds a C or D cell)?

I've thought about getting the MH-C808M, but like the features of the C9000. I have asked several times if Maha is coming out with one that can do C and D, and never get a response.

Thumbs up Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Wow, What a brilliant charger and what a brilliant review! Thanks!

I have some questions if that's OK?

I mainly use Varta Ready2Use 2100mAh AA's and 800mAh AAA's.
    But I do also have a lot of other older batteries that I will most likely cycle and use for less demanding items around the home.

I currently use a Vanson V-6988. http://www.vanson.com.hk/details/vansonnel2010a.html

It's been a great charger and I use a lot of batteries here so being able to charge 10 cells at once is a blessing. I really wish Maha would bring out a 10 bay version of their MH-C9000.

But anyhow.

Where would be the cheapest place to get a couple of HM-C9000's? I'm located in Australia but am happy to buy from the USA if it saves money as long as I still get the latest version and with the Australian wall connector / plug pack. (I would also like the 12VDC Car adapters as well).

I have got into the habit of cycling (Discharging) all my batteries at the beginning of every charge cycle. Generally the batteries are close to flat anyhow. Am I doing any damage to the newer chemistry's like the Varta and Sanyo Eneloop style batteries by doing this?

I've also always been a big believer in slow charging batteries.
    And I have always got a good life out of my batteries in the past.
    Early NiCd > 10 yrs, NiMh 6+ yrs and still going.
    Can I continue to slow charge using this charger safely? I have read some of your very interesting threads on this and do understand that you should charge at a certain rate to get a more pronounced -delta V indication.
    But what has your real life experience been in this regard?

Can one set / tell the charger the actual battery capacity to help it make it's decisions?

Does the charger remember the settings after power loss?

Can this charger work with or will it ever be able to work with the new NiZn chemistry's.

Lastly, who ever sends the MaHa people all the good info on improving their charger. Ask them to add a USB port so we can flash and tweak our own units. Now wouldn't that be great. Imagine bring up a list of settings on a PC screen that we could edit. Also a 10 bay model would be fantastic!

.-.-.

Flashaholic*

I bought my Mh-C9000 very recently from Jeff at Servaas Products. He's in Victoria. The service was excellent, I got the latest model and an Aussie wall unit and the delivery lightning fast. He also carries the Imedion, Powerex and Eneloop batteries as well as other goodies to make the wallet appear that it's been to Weight Watchers......

OK, Thanks. Best price I have seen so far without looking too hard is AUD$76 including postage on eBay.

.-.-.

I have got into the habit of cycling (Discharging) all my batteries at the beginning of every charge cycle. Generally the batteries are close to flat anyhow. Am I doing any damage to the newer chemistry's like the Varta and Sanyo Eneloop style batteries by doing this?

No damage, but it is not needed. Once every 10-15 charges you can do a refresh, and an occasional break-in, but for regular use just insert in charger and choose charge rate (more on that below).

I've also always been a big believer in slow charging batteries....., what has your real life experience been in this regard?

Charge at 0.5C to 1C, which for your LSD cells would be about 1000ma to 2000ma. The C9000 will default to 1000ma if you don't tell it differently. You can select higher if you want, but inserting batteries (AA) and walking away will get you a perfect charge. As for your habit of slow charging, well, technically there's nothing wrong with slow charging, it's not the slow charge that's the problem, it's the not stopping the charge when it should that is the problem. So, for AA stick to the C9000 default or higher for AA, 400ma-800ma for an average AAA. However you ask the question, and however the reply is worded, it's always going to come down to "0.5C - 1C". I believe silverfox actually has tatooed on his forehead "the answer is 0.5C to 1C, next question?"

Can one set / tell the charger the actual battery capacity to help it make it's decisions?

Yes, in fact that's the first thing you should do with new batteries (or old if you want to rejuvenate them) for the break-in cycle.

Does the charger remember the settings after power loss?

No. Whatever it was doing before, after a power loss it will come back at the default of charging each slot at 1000ma.

Can this charger work with or will it ever be able to work with the new NiZn chemistry's.

No.
    WTB Xeno F7 v6 Nichia version - PM if you have one for sale

Wow, I don't know if I could ever bring myself to charging batteries at 0.5C or 1C. In my mind regardless of how well the charger detects and switches off at full charge that's got to be drastically reducing the cycle life of the cells? All that current and heat has got to be causing the batteries to vent a lot more then what they would on a slow charge?

I'm also surprised the charger starts charging again after a power failure and at such a high current. Seems to be an over looked issue.

Also I guess my question re setting the battery sizes was more aimed at the normal charging cycle. Does the charger reference the setting in this mode at all to assist in a final timer override shut down figure?

TNX
    .-.-.

I think you're underestimating the C9000. Cells charged at 1000ma barely get warm, and certainly not too hot. As for entering the capacity for a normal charge, that wouldn't be needed for the C9000 anyway, just put in the cells and let it get on with it. The C9000 doesn't have or need a timer based failsafe. As for the defaulting after power loss, it is definitely a pain if you're doing some cycles or break in or whatever, but restarting at 1000ma, that's fine, Maha set that as the default for a reason.

Look around the forum, every possible flashlight is discussed for every possible situation, and there are always conflicting views for even the most obvious of requirements, with 20 options given when only one was asked for. Ask "what is the best nimh charger?" though, and you'll only get one united answer every time - C9000, 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by vk4akp View Post
    Wow, I don't know if I could ever bring myself to charging batteries at 0.5C or 1C. In my mind regardless of how well the charger detects and switches off at full charge that's got to be drastically reducing the cycle life of the cells? All that current and heat has got to be causing the batteries to vent a lot more then what they would on a slow charge?

I'm also surprised the charger starts charging again after a power failure and at such a high current. Seems to be an over looked issue.

Also I guess my question re setting the battery sizes was more aimed at the normal charging cycle. Does the charger reference the setting in this mode at all to assist in a final timer override shut down figure?

TNX
    .-.-.

Oh Yes I must admit I only came across this charger by accident. But your right, it does seem to be the best currently on the market from what I could research over the past 2 days.

Would still love a 10 cell version with USB for flashing, logging, & tweaking though.

More questions.

Because it only has a limited amount of bays. Can I mix and match modes?

Say charge two cell's while breaking in another and capacity testing a 4th?

Also forgot to ask. Is the barrel socket for power a standard size? Or should I buy the 12VDC adapter to get a proper fit for the car?

Oh and I must scan through some more messages on this forum.

I think the place is about flashlights? I have a couple of Maglites with LED bulbs, but would be keen to research getting some much nicer and smaller torches.

My Main battery use at present is for K200D DSLR, portable Amateur Radio gear, GPS, + lots of general household and portable items.

I'm very big on AA / AAA powered gear. I refuse to buy anything that takes a custom Li-Ion battery.

.-.-.

Mixing modes, no problem, each slot can be doing whatever you want.
    You can also mix types, for example slot 1 doing a break-in on a AA, slot 2 doing a standard charge on a AAA.

Car adapter, sorry, no idea.

As for flashlights, you like things to run on AA? Start here or maybe here....

Lightbulb Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Wow, I don't know if I could ever bring myself to charging batteries at 0.5C or 1C. In my mind regardless of how well the charger detects and switches off at full charge... ...All that current and heat has got to be causing the batteries to vent a lot more then what they would on a slow charge?
    IME, only *CRAP* / High Internal Resistance cells get warm, or hot, @ 0.5C before they're finished charging. And vibrant cells @ 1.0C don't begin to get warm until they're ~90% charged.

Please read: Nickel-Based Rechargeables by jtr1962.

Also, look at the numbers for the (current model) C9000 @ 1000mA, 1500mA and 1800mA in: Test for how well batteries suit your charger (Test #A3). With the lowered 1.47VDC Max Voltage, it terminates BEFORE the cells get hot (like they do in the La Crosse BC-900/BC-9009 at those Charge Rates) *AND* then it 'Tops Them Off' with a gentle 100mA for 2 hours.

There were some reports earlier of occasional failure to terminate charge. I believe that there were some design changes for this.

Does it appear that the failure to terminate problems are fixed on current units?

By the way, don't confuse it with the LaCrosse charger which looks similar.

Maha=Powerex
    LaCross ^= Maha

Flashaholic*

Would still love a 10 cell version with USB for flashing, logging, & tweaking though.
    Me too. Doing charging/discharging graphs would be great but, probably, the price would be higher too.

Because it only has a limited amount of bays. Can I mix and match modes?

Say charge two cell's while breaking in another and capacity testing a 4th?
    Totally independent. You can do a break-in in one slot, a normal charge in the second one, a Refresh & Analize in the third and a discharge in the last one if you want. Of course, you can mix battery sizes too.

Also forgot to ask. Is the barrel socket for power a standard size? Or should I buy the 12VDC adapter to get a proper fit for the car?
    Now I am very curious too. I think its the same size, but didnt try to use in the car yet, so I dont know.

Oh and I must scan through some more messages on this forum.
    Check the batteries sub-forum

My Main battery use at present is for K200D DSLR, portable Amateur Radio gear, GPS, + lots of general household and portable items.

I'm very big on AA / AAA powered gear. I refuse to buy anything that takes a custom Li-Ion battery.

.-.-.
    I dont know what are you waiting for before getting the C9000. Its a great charger indeed. It changed the way I look at batteries and never ran out of juice since I got it. Knowing the real capacity of the cells, pairing them to get best results and being able to know if my batteries are crap or not.

Thanks for all the good advice and links and stuff guys!

Oh and yes, don't worry I'm getting one!

Just trying to find a good place to buy from currently.

So far best price has been GreedyBay @ AUD$76 delivered.

Would prefer to support a local Australian agent though if they can match or come close to the price.

Might even buy two yet!

OH & Niconical I think I want one of these.

Brite Strike Tactical Blue Dot flashlight. http://www.brite-strike.com/About.html

But a version that runs on NiMh AA's !!

.-.-.
    Last edited by vk4akp; 01-20-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Just ordered one from Jeff at Servaas.

Your right, very nice chap to deal with. Very helpful.

Also got a set of IMEDION 2100mAh LSD AA's to compare against our Varta 2100's.

I'll let you guys know what I think of it all after it arrives and I've had time to play.

TNX again!

.-.-.

Quote Originally Posted by JaguarDave-in-Oz View Post
    I bought my Mh-C9000 very recently from Jeff at Servaas Products. He's in Victoria. The service was excellent, I got the latest model and an Aussie wall unit and the delivery lightning fast. He also carries the Imedion, Powerex and Eneloop batteries as well as other goodies to make the wallet appear that it's been to Weight Watchers......

Question Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

OK. Got my charger.

Had a quick play.

This is what I got so far with a few quick runs.

[CODE]
    SLOT BRAND mAh Mode mAh Min's Volts IMP
    1 Multi-Pwr 2500 Break-in 1292 165 1.39 1.87
    2 RadioShack 1800 Discharge 512 68 1.27 1.84
    2 RadioShack 1800 Analyse 707 91 1.41 1.84
    2 RadioShack 1800 Discharge 743 96 1.27 1.84
    3 Varta R2U 2100 Analyse 1853 240 1.39 1.44
    4 Varta R2U 2100 Discharge 1227 409 1.22 1.47
    4 Varta R2U 2100 Charge 3548 781 1.38 1.47 [/CODE]Multiple Power batteries are very old (maybe almost 10 years).
    Radioshack batteries were about 6 years old.
    Varta batteries are almost brand new. Less then 4 cycles.

Slot 4 Varta had sat some weeks in my camera bag after a full charge in the Vanson V-6988 10x Slot charger.
    Slot 3 Varta was charged the day before in the Vanson.

Vanson charger charges at 210mA when all 10 slots are full for max of 12 hours and then drops to 21mA trickle. (So I see an instant problem here!)

I also have a JayCar MB3551 that charges at 250mAh (10 slots filled) with a protection cut out of 15 hours. I haven't been all that impressed with this charger as it often locks up and doesn't stop charging. But I might have to give it a go in future for the 2100's.

Why is the last charge cycle so high with the mAh result?
    Is this because it's reporting input current which in my mind goes something like this.

16h * 210mAh == 3360mAh (Slowest charge calculation).

Interested in your thoughts.

EDIT: Note updated with battery impedance's as requested. (Tested afterwards though)
    .-.-.
    Last edited by vk4akp; 01-29-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Thinking Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

OK. Got my charger... ...Had a quick play...

...Interested in your thoughts.
    • Bracket your data with CODE tags:[code]
      SLOT BRAND mAh Mode mAh Min's Volts
      2 RadioShack 1800 Discharge 512 68 1.27
      2 RadioShack 1800 Analyse 707 91 1.41
      2 RadioShack 1800 Discharge 743 96 1.27
      3 Varta R2U 2100 Analyse 1853 240 1.39
      4 Varta R2U 2100 Discharge 1227 409 1.22
      4 Varta R2U 2100 Charge 3548 781 1.38[/code]
      (You can tidy up the column alignment on your next post. )
    • Add Charge/Discharge RATE to your table
      - Example: AAA Battery Charger Suggestions Needed!
    • Add Impedance Check Voltage to your table
      - Measuring Maha MH-C9000 Impedance Check Voltage
    • CLICK on my Sig Line LINK and read about:
      1. Internal Resistance
      2. Storage Box Queens
      3. Cell Recovery

...Why is the last charge cycle so high with the mAh result?
    Missed -DeltaV termination, took a long time to reach Max Voltage or Max Temp.
    ...Is this because it's reporting input current which in my mind goes something like this.

16h * 210mAh == 3360mAh (Slowest charge calculation)...
    You label it a CHARGE function. If it were a BREAK-IN (0.1C for 16hrs), then 3360mAh would apply. That's where posting your Charge/Discharge Rate would help.
    .-.-.
    Wikipedia: Morse Code - Plus? Amateur Radio abbreviation for?
    Last edited by TakeTheActive; 01-28-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: GOOGLEd Morse Code for .-.-.

Question Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

All charge rates were set at 300mAh and discharge rates at 500mAh.
    (Except where the charger overrides and sets it's own rates).

.-.-.

Quote Originally Posted by JaguarDave-in-Oz View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation
    WolfEyes Sniper 260 | WolfEyes Angel HO
    PROtog | Australian distributor for MAHA Powerex NiMH Batteries and Chargers

Just ordered one from Jeff at Servaas.

Your right, very nice chap to deal with. Very helpful.

Also got a set of IMEDION 2100mAh LSD AA's to compare against our Varta 2100's.

.-.-.
    Look forward to seeing your results!

Updated the data with impedance readings as requested and as per the instructions.

Also added SLOT 1 data now that it has finished.

Have done some reading of some of those links. Some very interesting information that I never knew. (Thanks).
    Would love a copy of that guys book. (Only US$4.95 now + shipping).
    Maybe if there are enough people interested we could buy a few as a group and farm them out?

It will be hard for me but I can see now that I will have to fight my instincts hard and forget my ways with slow charging now that I am using NiMh.

Will try the same batteries again with 1000mAh.

OK. Got my charger.

[CODE]
    SLOT BRAND mAh Mode mAh Min's Volts IMP
    1 Multi-Pwr 2500 Break-in 1292 165 1.39 1.87
    2 RadioShack 1800 Discharge 512 68 1.27 1.84
    2 RadioShack 1800 Analyse 707 91 1.41 1.84
    2 RadioShack 1800 Discharge 743 96 1.27 1.84
    3 Varta R2U 2100 Analyse 1853 240 1.39 1.44
    4 Varta R2U 2100 Discharge 1227 409 1.22 1.47
    4 Varta R2U 2100 Charge 3548 781 1.38 1.47 [/CODE]

Lightbulb Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Updated the data with impedance readings as requested and as per the instructions.

Also added SLOT 1 data now that it has finished...
    I find your table confusing to read. Are we dealing with 3 cells or 7? Slot number is unnecessary. Labeling cells is. Please number your cells and consider changing your table format to the one I suggested.

...Have done some reading of some of those links. Some very interesting information that I never knew. (Thanks)...
    LOTs of good information is BURIED in the CPF 'Batteries Included' Archives!

...Will try the same batteries again with 1000mAh.
    [code]
    SLOT BRAND mAh Mode mAh ICV
    1 Multi-Pwr 2500 Break-in 1292 1.87
    2 RadioShack 1800 Discharge 512 1.84
    2 RadioShack 1800 Analyse 707 1.84
    2 RadioShack 1800 Discharge 743 1.84
    3 Varta R2U 2100 Analyse 1853 1.44
    4 Varta R2U 2100 Discharge 1227 1.47
    4 Varta R2U 2100 Charge 3548 1.47[/code]
    The Varta R2U cell(s), being the newest, are the most vibrant as demonstrated by their low Impedance Check Voltage.
    • DISCHARGE them @ 400mA; report the Capacity.
    • Wait 1 hour
    • DISCHARGE them @ 100mA; report the Capacity.
    • Run a BREAK-IN @ 2100mAh; report the Capacity.
    • CYCLE them 3 times with CHARGE @ 1000mA and DISCHARGE @ 400mA; report the Capacity.
      1. Did the Capacity increase after each CYCLE?
    The Multi-Pwr and RadioShack cell(s) have high Internal Resistance, again demonstrated by their higher Impedance Check Voltages. That's why they cannot handle a 500mA DISCHARGE. Charging them @ 1000mA will only damage them more by overheating them.
    • DISCHARGE them @ 100mA; report the Capacity.
    • CYCLE them 5 times with CHARGE @ 600mA and DISCHARGE @ 100mA; report the Capacity.
      Monitor the first CHARGE. If the cells get hot (GT 120°F), lower the Charge Rate; if the cells are warm (LT 90°F), raise the Charge Rate. Use 100mA 'steps' until you get the 'hang of it'.
      1. Did the Capacity increase after each CYCLE?
      2. Did the Impedance Check Voltage decrease after the 5th CYCLE?
    In all probability, they're *CRAP* or worse, but, I use those type of cells in thermometers and remote controls. You can use them to 'get familiar' with your new toy or you can toss them into the Recycle Bin.

Have fun!

Angry Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Finally got some time to play with the charger again over the past couple of days.

Charged 2 sets of 4 AA 2100mAh Varta batteries.

Both times two of the cells didn't terminate at the right time got red hot and I ended up pulling them far too late. Probably killed them actually.
    These are brand new batteries. Flattened them first. But the missed terminations reaching some 3200+ mAh before I pulled them.

Instructions say do not use currents lower then 0.33C.

So I set it to charge using 700mAh. Which should be just above the minimum.

Next batch I will try at 1000mAh. But if this fails I think I'll give up and go back to the slow charger. Can't afford to keep killing new cells.

.-.-.

The C9000 charger uses Zero Delta V or Negative Delta V to terminate the charge termination. At below 0.33C, the change (delta) in voltage is very low, and it is difficult to detect the charge completion. If you follow the minimum guideline of 0.33C, you should be fine.

The Break-In mode uses 0.1C for 16 hours, providing a 60% overcharge, whereas you have only overcharged about 50%, so I will be surprised if you have killed your Varta cells.

Shrug Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

2100 mAh * 0.33 = 693mA

I charged at 700mA yet both times two slots didn't terminate.
    (Reaching 3200+ mAh before pulled or termination).

I have another brand new batch of Varta's charging at 1000mA to see if they terminate on time.

Each time I discharged the cells first at 200mA to be sure they were empty.

Will see what happens this time at 1000mA.

.-.-.

Sigh Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Back again.

Still not having too much luck with this thing.

Firstly I have been charging all my AA's at the default current setting of 1000mA. So far no missed terminations.

However I just tried a pair of Varta 800mAh AAA batteries.

I set the current to 50% of C (400mA).

Both batteries had reached over 2300mAh before I discovered them and pulled them. They were so red hot they burnt my fingers as I pulled them out.

I noted the voltage on both were sitting at 1.42 Volts. So I assume they had both well and truly dipped at some point.

Once again these batteries were close to brand new. Having had maybe 2-3 cycles so far.

I assume they are only fit for the trash now?

I really believe the biggest feature this thing is missing is the ability to set the battery capacity in the charge settings. If the charger knew for sure what the capacity was it could then make an educated decision of when to give up on charging as a fail safe.

Is there anything I am missing or don't understand with the process?

- Do newer batteries require this excessive charging on the first few charges to break them in perhaps?
    - or am I not getting a clear -Neg Delta V or Temperature termination because the batter's were never run through the breakin process first?
    - Or is this a common problem with fast chargers as -Neg Delta V is very hard to detect?

.-.-.

Just tried some Varta AAA 800mAh batteries again.

Charging rate 400mA.

3x failed to terminate. At 1100mAh I pulled them.
    1x terminated at 96mAh.

All batteries were first fully discharged.

I have discharged them again and am now trying them at a higher rate 500mA to see if this helps.

.-.-.

Is there anything I am missing or don't understand with the process?

- Do newer batteries require this excessive charging on the first few charges to break them in perhaps?
    No
    - or am I not getting a clear -Neg Delta V or Temperature termination because the batter's were never run through the breakin process first?
    No, that would not be the case
    - Or is this a common problem with fast chargers as -Neg Delta V is very hard to detect?
    I have tested Varta R2U AA and AAA in a MH-C9000, and have not seen termination issues. Actually I have not seen any termination issues with the MH-C9000. Given the number of times you have missed a termination, maybe there is something wrong with your charger?

If you want to send it back to us, I'll do some tests with Powerex batteries and see if they are terminated correctly.

Thinking Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Just tried some Varta AAA 800mAh batteries again.

Charging rate 400mA.

3x failed to terminate. At 1100mAh I pulled them...
    1. What was the C9000 displayed VDC @ 1100mAh?
    2. Were the cells hot @ 1100mAh?

UPDATE: (Re-read your old posts)
    1. Quote Originally Posted by vk4akp View Post
      ...Charged 2 sets of 4 AA 2100mAh Varta batteries.

Both times two of the cells didn't terminate at the right time got red hot and I ended up pulling them far too late

...These are brand new batteries...
    2. Quote Originally Posted by vk4akp View Post
      ...I charged at 700mA yet both times two slots didn't terminate.
      (Reaching 3200+ mAh before pulled or termination)
    3. Quote Originally Posted by vk4akp View Post
      ...Firstly I have been charging all my AA's at the default current setting of 1000mA. So far no missed terminations.

However I just tried a pair of Varta 800mAh AAA batteries.

I set the current to 50% of C (400mA).

Both batteries had reached over 2300mAh before I discovered them and pulled them. They were so red hot they burnt my fingers as I pulled them out.

I noted the voltage on both were sitting at 1.42 Volts...

It's either:
    1. Bad / worn / defective cells
      OR
    2. Bad / worn / defective charger
    Possibly you can make a deal with Maha and/or servaas:
    • Buy (or get sent) 4 new AAA LSD cells and 4 new AA LSD cells
    • Run the appropriate Break-Ins (2000mAh and 800mAh), followed by
    • 10 Cycles of 0.5C Charge and 0.2C Discharge
    If the new cells pass with flying colors, it was your old cells.

If the new cells fail, it was the charger and possibly Maha will compensate you for your damaged (ala before this test) cells.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast