Imalent        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Default Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Last night I ran the same AAA Varta cells through again. This time at a higher rate 500mA.

Two had not terminated past 2000mAh, so I pulled these and they were very hot. The other two terminated at 1885mAh & 1579mAh.

All these batteries are brand new or close to brand new and have been bought at different places and at different times so I doubt it's old cells / bad stock etc.

Also I have been watching the impedance test at the beginning of the charge and the batteries all come up with about 1.45 - 1.49 out of interest.

An interesting thing this time I watched the voltage from time to time and I noticed a clear dip at the end down to 1.40 volts on the first bay. (This was one of the bays that failed to terminate way past 2000mAH).

My assumption is that for some strange reason the charger is missing the -Neg Delta V at times.

I think it might be best to follow Jeff's recommendation to send it back for testing.

I don't really want to be mucking people around but I guess it is possible I might simply have a faulty unit.

.-.-.

Flashaholic*

I use a lot of AAA cells, Imedion, Powerplus and Energiser brands. I usually charge three and four at a time and have had the charger since before christmas and as far as I can remember I have only had one missed termination on them in that time and that appears to have been a dud Powerplus cell. These days I charge all my AAA's at 700.

It seems my unit has no troubles with triple A's so it's possible that it's not a problem endemic to the type of charger but an actual fault with yours, though admittedly I've never tried the Varta brand so that doesn't rule out some sort of mismatch.

Enlightened

I recently got a MH-C9000 and have been very happy with it. The refresh cycle has resurrected three sets of AAs for me (cheap INCA 2600 and 2700). I am glad I have something like this to look after my ENELOOP and IMEDION batteries now.

Aussie Aussie Aussie ....

WolfEyes Sniper 260 | WolfEyes Angel HO
    PROtog | Australian distributor for MAHA Powerex NiMH Batteries and Chargers

Flashaholic*

oi oi oi............

Unhappy Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Quote Originally Posted by servaas View Post
    ...If you want to send it back to us, I'll do some tests with Powerex batteries and see if they are terminated correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by vk4akp View Post
    ...I think it might be best to follow Jeff's recommendation to send it back for testing...
    servaas = Jeff? Did you originally buy it from him?

Certainly sounds like you got a defective charger.

I'll check back here next week for the updates.

OT: What's the significance of the Morse Code at the end of your posts?

Wikipedia: Morse Code - Plus

Thumbs up Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Hi, Yep purchased through Jeff. We shopped around and he was good enough to help us out so it's always good to try and support local business where possible.

Have sent off an email and will get a second unit up hopefully to try first. That way if it's something our end it saves mucking people around and unnecessary postage costs to our group.

Besides, you can never have too many C9000's!

It could yet just be something strange about the brand of batteries we are using. We've mainly bought Varta as they were readily available in Woolworths for a reasonable price and Varta have always been a major player in battery technologies.

The Morse at the end of the message signifies AR With the bar actually over the top not the bottom. The letters A . - (di-dah) & R . - . (di-dah-dit) sent with no gap (di-dah-di-dah-dit) signal the end of a message in Morse code.

Something I've been doing in forums now for over ten years as a bit of a little joke or trade mark thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code

Would you believe your only the second person ever to pick up on it and ask! Well done, you have an inquisitive mind.

I'll be sure to let everyone know what the outcome is in this little mystery.

.-.-.

Flashaholic*

I assume from your userID that you're a licenced Ham. Do you still have to qualify in morse to get the amateur licence these days?

Thumbs up Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Hi, Yep. Been licensed some 10+ years now. Fantastic hobby.

My license is the highest class. At the time I did 10 WPM Morse send and receive, Advanced electronic theory, and regulations as the 4 tests to qualify.

These days you can get the easiest license (Foundation) in a weekend.
    Two days study a multi-choice test and a short on air practical test.

Sadly there is no Morse test required these days at all for any of the license classes. This is not necessarily a good thing either.

As you could imagine. We do a lot with battery technologies in the field.
    When the power goes out you have to be ready as communications in emergency situations can save lives.

In my mind Li-Ion battery technology's just don't cut it. They have a 2 year half shelf life, are very dangerous if punched, and they are highly non universal in the field to name just a few issues.

This charger is the first I have seen to offer so much flexibility.

Useful features to the Amateur Radio operator.

- 12VDC power option.
    - Can fast charge cells very quickly if needed.
    - Can test the capacity of cells.
    -= (Won't get caught out with 1 useless cell in a pack).
    - Known cell capacity allows for better cell matching in packs.
    - Fairly compact & with carry bag for the field.
    - Rejuvenation and break-in modes for maintaining cells.
    - Can give a good indication on cell health and expected performance.

Couple this with LSD NiMh battery technology and I feel this is a must have device for the Amateur Radio community.

I hope to promote these further and get something happening where we can get these in the hands of most Amateurs as specially those participating in WICEN activities.

.-.-.

Quote Originally Posted by JaguarDave-in-Oz View Post
    I assume from your userID that you're a licenced Ham. Do you still have to qualify in morse to get the amateur licence these days?

Thumbs down Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

OK, Here's a bit of an update.

The results aren't all that good unfortunately.

I ordered a second MH-C9000 to compare.

Yesterday I ran a set of 4x Varta 800mA AAA's through the new charger @ 400mA charge rate.

They terminated at 3014, 862, 917, & 1364mAh.

So already it seems it's a problem with the MH-C9000 & Varta R2U batteries.

I'll do some more tests with some near new cells and also some brand new cells and report the results here.

After this I'll give it a miss for a while though as I'm already quiet disappointed at how many new batteries I have treated so badly.

One question remains though. What can be done to reprogram these chargers so they terminate properly with the Varta cells?

.-.-.

Any thoughts on a comparison with the "Ansman Energy Plus 8" (ignoring the different form factors / supported types since I'm after home use / AA+AAA only)

I was sold on the Energy 8 until I saw this C9000 - wondering whether there's much practical difference in terms of
    - ability to best recondition cells
    - ability to get the most power out of a battery once charged
    - best to protect cell longer term (temperature, overcharging etc).

The ansmann looks more hands off, whilst the Maha is a little more nerdy but does provide better feedback. Both seem solid brands.

I recently got my 9000 and a I am very pleased with the capabilities it provides. I especially like that each battery is measured and charged/discharged independently. None of this charging by 2's or even by groups of 4.

The unit seems to be built well and handles the heat issue so much better than the La Crosse 9009 does.

I give it a big 2 thumbs up!

Unenlightened

Hi All,

New to the forum, but been using this charger for awhile with mixed results. I have been charging Sanyo 2100-2500 mAh and Energizer 2500 mAh AA cells with no issues. Also purchased some of the PowerEx brand hi cap 2700 mAh AA cells. The Wizard One charges, analyzes and cycles all of my AA sized cells with no issues. The problem I have seen is with charging AAA sized cells. I have several pairs of Sanyo 1000 mAh AAA cells and the Wizard One charger is unable to recognize any of the 8 cells I have tried. The charger will light up for a second, like it sees the battery I inserted, but the display will go blank shortly after inserting the battery. Anyone out there having similar issues? Did I get a dud? Is it my cells or the charger? Should I try another brand/capacity AAA cell?

Thanks all for reading

Dan

Flashaholic

Dan this might the wrong forum for that question. But it may be that you aren't fully inserting the AAA batteries. You need to push them in at the bottom, then slide the top down and push it down hard. Or the batteries are bad

Just got a very simple question.... after a battery has finished charging, is it safe to just pull out of the socket and insert a new one, or do you have to wait till all cells finish charging then unplug the unit then remove the batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by roddo View Post
    Just got a very simple question.... after a battery has finished charging, is it safe to just pull out of the socket and insert a new one, or do you have to wait till all cells finish charging then unplug the unit then remove the batteries?
    You don't need to unplug it, each slot will reset when you remove/insert a new cell.
    "Push back the night" - Bob Weir

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by roddo View Post
    Yes you can pull a battery out when its finished. But remember that
    a) The c9000 puts out a 100ma top up charge for 2 hours after DONE appears.
    b) Try to charge batteries you are going to use together in a device in the same way and balance them. Ie. don't pull one out once DONE appears, then leave the other in for 2 hours after DONE. Better to make sure they have about the same capacity.

Cool, thanks guys.

Smile Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Quote Originally Posted by vk4akp View Post
    OK, Thanks. Best price I have seen so far without looking too hard is AUD$76 including postage on eBay.

.-.-.
    The lowest price that I have found for the Maha C-9000 is at: http://www.healthhelperstore.com/4783_page_1307390.htm where the price is $44.47 plus shipping for $6.23 for a total of $50.70. There is also one on eBay for $52.77 plus FREE shipping. I hope this information helps.

Red face Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

Quote Originally Posted by rwharold View Post
    The lowest price that I have found for the Maha C-9000 is at: http://www.healthhelperstore.com/4783_page_1307390.htm where the price is $44.47 plus shipping for $6.23 for a total of $50.70. There is also one on eBay for $52.77 plus FREE shipping. I hope this information helps.

The Health Helper Store price has gone up to over $48 + over $11 shipping charge bringing the total price to over $60!!! Now the best price is on eBay at $52.77 + free shipping. Amazon.com also has two sources selling them for $53.97 + free shipping. Hope this helps.

Buttrock Re: Maha MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger

The discussion here mostly focuses on functionality. I wished someone here with electronic know how would open both a LaCrosse and Maha and compare the inner circuitry and see which one is better built.

Quote Originally Posted by lowks View Post
    The discussion here mostly focuses on functionality. I wished someone here with electronic know how would open both a LaCrosse and Maha and compare the inner circuitry and see which one is better built.
    There are many threads on the subject of the Maha vs LaCrosse. Just try a SEARCH.

P.S.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234