my options with the surefire L5?

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All

So my new L5 with SW02 should be here tommorow, but i am wondering what all my options are? I am considering getting a KT-1 for it, but what are my rechargable options with that? If i used two R123 then i could run the the MN15&MN16, but if i had somone bore it out to run 18650's for it could i only run the N1? How much does it cost to bore a light out?

What filters may i want?

Pics are always nice!

Thanks!

David Miller

benighted

Enlightened
benchmade_boy said:
How much does it cost to bore a light out?

Do you have access to a drill press with a 3/4" drill bit? If you do than you can DIY for free.
The L5 body seems like it would be kind of thin to be bored out though.
I had a KL5 on a bored out 6P body and it worked great

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
benighted said:
Do you have access to a drill press with a 3/4" drill bit? If you do than you can DIY for free.
The L5 body seems like it would be kind of thin to be bored out though.
I had a KL5 on a bored out 6P body and it worked great

Rather than using a drill bit, a reamer in this case is more preferable,since you are not taking away alot right?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently got an L5 also, and have been looking into upgrading a bit as well. I really like the feel of the stock body, so I want to keep that. I have been impressed with the output just the way it is, 110 lumens with 17670 cell, 150 lumens on 2xRCR123's. The problem I have is runtime; that LuxV sucks a lot of juice. I think I am just gonna have Milky swap an SSC P4 into with some new electronics, as I would like to have a nice functional "low" level as well. Good luck with you new light, and please keep us updated on your L5's progress :)

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got my light today, this thing is freaking awsome, especially with the SW02. now i want a filter for it, and am thinking about getting a red filter for her.

BTW thanks size15's, i just always thought it was a KT-1, not a KT1.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat said:
Hi Strauss,

L5 using 2 x RCR123s @150lumens runtime is how many minutes?

Thanks.

About 30min of dead flat output. On the 17670 cell, I get just short of 1 hour :)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the runtime info for L5.I can live with 30 minute runtime with RCR123s, just carry more batteries....

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat said:
Thanks guys for the runtime info for L5.I can live with 30 minute runtime with RCR123s, just carry more batteries....

Output difference compared with the 17670 is noticable. It is just enough of a difference(~40 lumens) to notice with the naked eye.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
While CPF members often run the KL5 with two RCR123's, there is no proof to indicate that the KL5 has a buck boost circuit and can run 8.4 volts safely for integrety of led, and circuit. Those that run it with two LiIon's and can show relatively flat runtime probably have high vf lux V leds. My KL5 shows very high light output (bounce with lightmeter), and pulls way more current from batteries when I run two LiIon batteries compared to two CR123's. If the KL5 had a buck circuit, or buck boost, the current drawn from the batteries would be lower with two LiIon's. For my particular KL5, one 18650, or 17650 is just fine, and it runs at specs.

Bill