Seoul-ed a NiteRider Minewt Update

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
I did it. See update below

I bought the Nite rider Minewt LED and it will be fine as is for commuting, however, I began to wonder how difficult or possible it would be to "upgrade" the 4W LED to a Cree.

The LiIon batter pack does have some sort of circuitry that protects it and has a HIgh, Low, and Flash mode. It provides 6V when charged.

I took apart the Head unit to see the LED and the board to determine if this was feasible. When on, the LED draws 3V.

http://www.envsafety.com/MiNewt%20Board.htm

Now for the part I really need help with. Given the attached picture, can anybody tell me if a Cree or SCC led could be a replacement here? I figure since the battery is 6V LiIon and the voltage across the LED is 3V it must be a regulated step down board and not a boost (I think). Other than that what do you think?

I hope the answer is not "only way to find out is to try it" I tried to make the picture big enough with enough detail so that it might give someone with more knowledge enough detail to help.

Thanks much.

Last edited:

Calina

Enlightened
Re: Cree a NiteRider Minewt? (picture)

Although you picked the right forum to post your query, try to post on the LED forum. There is a lot more traffic there.

Maybe you can just ask for some help there and refer CPFers to this thread.

nightrider

Enlightened
Re: Cree a NiteRider Minewt? (picture)

Assuming that's a Luxeon emitter, the Seoul P4 will be the easier replacement. Just be careful to electrically isolate the emitter's slug using some Arctic Alumina Adhesive, because it is connected to the positive side of things.

The P4 might work fine with the Newt's existing Lens or it might not... I don't know. Many Luxeon lenses and reflectors seem to do OK with the P4, and some need slight modifications. You might possibly also need to shim under the P4 with a 0.030" thinck piece of copper. The Sandwich Shoppe sells them or you can make your own from a penny if you have the patience. Some of the flashlights that I've swapped the Luxeon for the Seoul required the shim to bring the emitter up to the right height.

The Cree would be a bigger effort considering that it has a different footprint, so I don't know how well it would work with the PC board. Also, you would more than likely have to get a new lens.

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
Re: SSC a NiteRider Minewt? (picture)

Thanks.

I will try the SSC due to packaging.

My big question is do you see any issues with the board (regualtor) and battery that might cause issues with the emitter? Iseems to me that it should be OK but before I destroy a $150 light, it was worth asking.

Thanks again.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened

There's not a single component on the circuit board in your picture that indicates any kind of power regulation. There has to be an additional circuit somewhere else...

Y-Wrench

Newly Enlightened

There is, it's contained within the battery pack.

I would measure the amps that the LED is running at to know what you're going to be pushing through it's replacement. Also if you're afraid of ruining your light, you could wait till mid to late summer when next years models become available. I didn't get specific information on the LED, but it has been said "it will be twice as bright, and use less power".:naughty: That said, there's nothing wrong with wanting the future to be now.:)

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the thoughts. Looking at the board I fugured the R1 is a reisistor since the battery produces 6V and the voltage across the LED is 3V and the D1 is a diode.

Y-wrench. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I like the unit and thought a simple little LED swap might reduce my desire to keep buying new lights. Probably not though.

Oh yeah. Ordered a couple SSC's today from Wayne. Going to give it a shot.

nightrider

Enlightened

Let us know how it turns out!
Somebody over on the MTBR forums posted on swapping their Dinotte Luxeon emitter to Seoul P4 and they were very pleased. But it seems they did mention swapping lenses. The Newt lens might work fine or ... you might have to change that as well...

Last edited:

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
I bit the bullet and order a P4 U bin Seoul and put it into the Minewt.

WOW

This thing puts out a lot of light. I wish I had a way to measure it but I did take some before/after beam shots. If anyone has a Minewt you know that there is a little blue glow on both the head and the battery to indicate its charge. The Seoul is so bright it almost washes the blue light on the head.

I went outside and compared it to my DiNotte 5W LiIon which used to be brighter than the MiNewt. Not anymore. The Minewt will now make an amazing second light on my helmet to compliment the DiNotte on the handlebars. The light has an amazing throw and not big rings. See the pictures. They were done on a digital about 4 feet from the wall. 1/4 sec 5.6f. The beams look a little less than round because of where/how I was holding it. It is still a nice round shape.

It does get warmer than the origianl 4W led, so cooling will be important.

Hope you like the results. I sure do. Now to do some runtimes at high and low.

Minewt_4W.jpg

Minewt_Soeul.jpg

nightrider

Enlightened
Wow. Great job! Looks like you got a really nice, white Seoul P4 U-bin.
I guess other Newt owners will be following suite. That is a great upgrade.

You stuck with the original optics?

Thanks for giving us the update!

afraidofdark

Enlightened
Hey Zip :wave: can you share details of this mod? Did you use Arctic Alumina epoxy to isolate the emitter slug? Did you have to shim the P4 at all?

I'd like to do this same mod ... thanks for any insight!

Latest posts