Inova T4 (2007) or Stinger LED for work?

TWEP

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, new here to CPF. Great forum.
Well I'm looking for a duty light to compliment my SL-20X. Anyway there are not too many reviews on the 2007 version of the T4. I've read a majority of the Stinger LED reviews. It seems very positive. The thing that attracts me to the T4 is the new lumen output. I need something bright that will penetrate windows and bright enough to light up rooms in searches. Any thoughts on this?
I don't see too many holsters available for this. Will the T4 fit in a Safariland Stinger XT holster?

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I don't own either, but I've been trying to pick one of them to use as a duty light as well. From what I've found, the Stinger LED is actually brighter than the new Inova T4. The only real advantage the Inova has over the Stinger is the Lithium-Ion battery witch won't suffer from the memory effect that the NiCad battery in the Stinger can.

TWEP

Newly Enlightened
Modern_Major_General said:
I don't own either, but I've been trying to pick one of them to use as a duty light as well. From what I've found, the Stinger LED is actually brighter than the new Inova T4. The only real advantage the Inova has over the Stinger is the Lithium-Ion battery witch won't suffer from the memory effect that the NiCad battery in the Stinger can.

Really.. Even though the quoted lumens is higher on the 2007 T4? Is it because the Stinger LED has a better reflector?

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150423

This post has beamshot comparisons between the two, and the Stinger LED has a brighter and whiter beam based on these shots than the T4. Other posts that I have read have confirmed this.

I'm not sure as to the reasons why this is when the Inova is supposedly 125 lumens and the Stinger is 80, but I have noticed that while a lot of manufactures tend to over exaggerate the Lumen output of their LED lights, Streamlight tends to be pretty honest.

so241

Newly Enlightened
Still fairly new myself. I have a T4 (TIROS version) I carry for work and yes I carry mine in an ASAP holder of all things (the holder is for a 26" ASAP I believe, you can play around with one to find the right length). I recently played around with the stinger LED and it was okay. If you work traffic the stinger has a feature you can double click the switch and get a strobe effect, good eye catcher when you put a traffic wand on it. The stinger also has multiple output levels, you can click the switch and hold it (or something like that) and control the brightness from low to highest output. Have not had any issues with the T4, well built, durable and has been wet several times but for more versatility the stinger might be for you.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi TWEP and welcome to CPF!

Modern_Major_General - I'm glad you saved me from having to search for that post to link it. :)

In all fairness, and I carry both of thse products so I'm not biased, that link has a comparison of 1 unit of each light and as usual luxeon lottery rules apply so to my mind the the outputs are, for all intents and purposes functionally identical. The Stinger LED uses a LUX 3, the T4 uses a K2.

I prefer the T4 for a few reasons; it's about 20% smaller in every dimension; it's cheaper, it uses Li-Ion batteries and the switch action and placement is MUCH better.

Inova quotes LED output at spec. Streamlight uses a lumensphere and uses measured output.

They're both great duty lights. The T4 will fit in most Polystinger holsters - I'm not sure about the XT holster. We do carry a Stallion nylon duty holster that's purpose made for the T4's.

On another note I just grabbed a Stinger LED out of the warehouse and it looks like it would be possible to drop an SSC P4 into one of these. :)

Modern_Major_General said:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150423

This post has beamshot comparisons between the two, and the Stinger LED has a brighter and whiter beam based on these shots than the T4. Other posts that I have read have confirmed this.

I'm not sure as to the reasons why this is when the Inova is supposedly 125 lumens and the Stinger is 80, but I have noticed that while a lot of manufactures tend to over exaggerate the Lumen output of their LED lights, Streamlight tends to be pretty honest.