Mag LED

TacOps

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread has probably been brought up in the past. However, I'm new to the forum, and every time I use the search feature, I get an error??????

Anyway, what are everybody's thoughts on the LED upgrade for the 3-D Cell mag? Right now I have the stock bulb in there, and was wondering if the LED would perform well directing traffic. I would only use it to stick a traffic cone on, and some light searching incase my polystinger dies. Thanks!

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

I've got the LED upgrade for my 3D Mag and like it a lot. Check the following thread for a lot of info:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/119665&highlight=magled

Also, check FlashlightReviews.com, a favorite site of many on this forum:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

Here's another thread on another LED upgrade option:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154679&highlight=magled

There's a lot of reading there, but you'll learn everything you need to know about the LED upgrades. Have fun!

TacOps

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info!!! I have a feeling I'll be spending lots of time on this forum, great site.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I got the Mag LED upgrade for my 3 and 4 cell Mag lights. Even though I have many SureFire's, I felt that this install brought my old Mag's into the 21st century.

The are very bright, and I have them in our earthquake kit. Just in case the 'Big One' hits in our lifetime.

RL

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
TacOps said:
I know this thread has probably been brought up in the past. However, I'm new to the forum, and every time I use the search feature, I get an error??????

Anyway, what are everybody's thoughts on the LED upgrade for the 3-D Cell mag? Right now I have the stock bulb in there, and was wondering if the LED would perform well directing traffic. I would only use it to stick a traffic cone on, and some light searching incase my polystinger dies. Thanks!

The MagLED upgrade module would be more than enough for that. I have a SMJLED, which is quite a bit less in brightness than the MagLED, in a cheap Rayovac industrial with a red cone and it lights it up just fine. You'll also gain a considerable amount of runtime with the module. Think 20 plus hours on a set of batteries.

If you often find you're directing traffic for long periods, you may also want to look into to getting a 2C mag with a 2 cell LED module. I have a 4D and just picked up a 2C today. I far prefer the 2C in terms of size. Your wrist and arm will thank you on those long traffic sessions. And the 2C has plenty of output and throw. Your existing traffic cones for the D cell will also work on the C sizes. You'll give up a few hours in runtime compared to the D cells, but you will still have plenty of runtime. Most likely around 14 hours or so I'd say is what you'll get with the C version. I haven't done a runtime test on my 2C yet.

Last edited:

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
The MagLED upgrade is a good increase in brightness from the stock mag. I upgraded the MagLED Luxeon emitter with a SSC P4 last night and it is brighter yet.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mag LED module in a 3D Mag just for comparison's sake. I've also done many old school Luxeon mods on Maglites and prefer those.

The issue with the Mag LED modules is heat transfer. Incands radiate heat much differently than LEDs and with LEDs this bright run for many minutes to hours at a time, heat transfer becomes a problem and in the future (how long, I have no idea) either the LED die or lose brightness or components in the regulator will fall out of spec.

Personally, I'd try running a wanted ad in the B/S/T for a basic no-frills 2C, 2D, 3C or 3D modified Maglite. To use 2 cells, a regulator is required which will likely drive up the price but you can run 3 C cells in the 2D body. I remember one such light I sold for, I think, $40. I'd rather have something like that by a long shot than a Mag with the LED drop-in.

Also, maybe it's just because I have little girly hands, but if I had to hold a Maglite for a half hour at a time, I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather it be a 2C than a 3D.