HELP! 3V was too much

RCatR

Enlightened
I bought a green laser pointer from lakesen on ebay, the board was not pot moddable. While experimenting I burnt up the diode at 3V:awman:

Can I purchase another diode and implant it into the brass can? Or am I SOL and should start looking for a new laser to mod?

SenKat

Enlightened
You CAN replace the diode - check "snoctony" on ebay...I have heard (others chime in if I am wrong, please !) that he is the best priced 808nm diodes out there...

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a link to the laser you're talking about? You CAN replace the diode (as SenKat say, maybe try snoctony. Otherwise I like junktronix for that type of stuff), but its not like you can simply switch them out. This isn't like a PC where if you have issues with a stick of RAM, or your mouse, you pop it out and put in a new one. The specs on the new diode would have to be compatible with the board's driver circuit, and you would have to get everything precisely aligned to get anywhere near your original output. So its far from impossible, but if you're just thinking of buying a new diode and shoving it in, I'd suggest starting to look for a new laser.

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Snoctony is the best price for LDs that I've found. But like said above, It's a technical thing. You need anti static, meters, tools etc. Can be done but tricky.

Mike

comozo

Enlightened
As someone mentioned anti static has to be guarded against, diodes are very susceptable to electrical shock. I do not however no what the minimum threshold for damage is.