Rattly L2D-CE

Botnik

Newly Enlightened
I have a number of LED retrofit emitters and LED flashlights/headlamps. I just received my L2D-CE from http://www.seriouslights.com/ . The amount of light from this flashlight is very good. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison or looked up stats but I think on the lowest setting the light is brighter than my stock 2xAA LED from Mag.

Anyway.... When I have the L2D-CE on low power (with the head slightly loosened from the body) the batteries aren't held tightly inside the body and they rattle around, and the electrical contact is a bit intermittent. I can turn the light on on low intensity, and then just hold the light in my hands and rotate it along its long axis, and every time the batteries shift inside, the light's output will disappear until the batteries stabilise in their new position. If the contacts weren't clean, maybe the light output wouldn't even come back.

When the light is on high power, the situation isn't as bad (I wouldn't notice the output disappearing if I weren't looking for its disappearance) maybe because the head is tightened up a bit more.

To switch between the two modes, I'm not turning the head much. Finger tight will put the light in high power, and to put it in low power I am turning the head ten to fifteen degrees. If that.

Does anyone else observe this intermittent light output with their L2D-CE? The noise from the rattling is also annoying -- how can you do anything sneaky with this light?

Currently I have AA alkalines in the light. I haven't tried any other batteries, but am thinking of buying some Eneloops, just for this light.

Second comment: There are too many modes on this light. A low ouput, high output, and rapid blink would be enough. I don't need fifty intensity settings, or the SOS mode.

Third comment: I was just walking with the L2D-CE in my pocket (that's too easy a joke) and I noticed that the rattling of the batteries is very audible if you have this flashlight in your pocket (as loud as a small handful of change). Thumbs down! I've had the 2xAA Mag LED as my EDC for the last month, and I can't even tell it's there. The Mag is silent.

Last edited:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the buttons on your AA's caved in a bit? I get no rattle. I use Eneloops if it helps you on your decision.

gigbyt

Newly Enlightened
im using 2500 mah rechargeables with no rattle or output issues.

the only mode i could do without is the SOS, otherwise i like everything about this torch. the UI is very easy to get used to.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
Why do so many complain about the number of modes on this light? Seems to me if you are looking for low, high, strobe - the ui is just fine. Tail click to turn on and off, head twist to select low or high, tap the tail switch to get strobe. You can just ignore the other modes. Personally, the medium setting is very useful, with ample light and a long runtime. Sometimes low is too low and a battery sucking high is just not needed.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bomo said:
Why do so many complain about the number of modes on this light? Seems to me if you are looking for low, high, strobe - the ui is just fine. Tail click to turn on and off, head twist to select low or high, tap the tail switch to get strobe. You can just ignore the other modes. Personally, the medium setting is very useful, with ample light and a long runtime. Sometimes low is too low and a battery sucking high is just not needed.

Well, personally speaking, I would prefer to have a light that you can signal with (morse etc), which you cant with L2D since you go in another mode then, so I would had prefered just the two(more if possibly in a convenient way) modes with the bezel twist. I prefer that nothing other than the light goes ON/OFF happens when you press the appropriate button. But you can't have it all it seems.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
Seems whenever the ui is concerned you get about as many opinions as there are people. They all have validity.

I have noticed the battery rattling in my L2D. It's not something that really bothers me but perhaps if you are using rechargeables you could put a wrap or two of electrical tape around the batteries to increase their diameter slightly. This has not caused a problem with the actual operation of the light.

I have had an occurence of my L1D flickering which I thought was the battery going low but apparently it was just battery contact. A little cleaning and it has not happened since.

Botnik

Newly Enlightened
Thujone said:
Are the buttons on your AA's caved in a bit? I get no rattle.

The positive terminals are not caved in, and the batteries are new. I did wonder about the strength of the spring in the tailcap, and thought about what would happen with a stronger spring. I haven't looked at the head too closely but maybe a stronger spring in the tailcap would require you to unscrew the head more to get the low-power mode.

Botnik

Newly Enlightened
Lobo said:
Well, personally speaking, I would prefer to have a light that you can signal with (morse etc), which you cant with L2D since you go in another mode then, so I would had prefered just the two(more if possibly in a convenient way) modes with the bezel twist. I prefer that nothing other than the light goes ON/OFF happens when you press the appropriate button. But you can't have it all it seems.

Those are my feelings about the UI as well.

Jasmes

Enlightened
Botnik said:
I have a number of LED retrofit emitters and LED flashlights/headlamps. I just received my L2D-CE from http://www.seriouslights.com/ . The amount of light from this flashlight is very good. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison or looked up stats but I think on the lowest setting the light is brighter than my stock 2xAA LED from Mag.

Anyway.... When I have the L2D-CE on low power (with the head slightly loosened from the body) the batteries aren't held tightly inside the body and they rattle around, and the electrical contact is a bit intermittent. I can turn the light on on low intensity, and then just hold the light in my hands and rotate it along its long axis, and every time the batteries shift inside, the light's output will disappear until the batteries stabilise in their new position. If the contacts weren't clean, maybe the light output wouldn't even come back.

When the light is on high power, the situation isn't as bad (I wouldn't notice the output disappearing if I weren't looking for its disappearance) maybe because the head is tightened up a bit more.

To switch between the two modes, I'm not turning the head much. Finger tight will put the light in high power, and to put it in low power I am turning the head ten to fifteen degrees. If that.

Does anyone else observe this intermittent light output with their L2D-CE? The noise from the rattling is also annoying -- how can you do anything sneaky with this light?

Currently I have AA alkalines in the light. I haven't tried any other batteries, but am thinking of buying some Eneloops, just for this light.

Second comment: There are too many modes on this light. A low ouput, high output, and rapid blink would be enough. I don't need fifty intensity settings, or the SOS mode.

Third comment: I was just walking with the L2D-CE in my pocket (that's too easy a joke) and I noticed that the rattling of the batteries is very audible if you have this flashlight in your pocket (as loud as a small handful of change). Thumbs down! I've had the 2xAA Mag LED as my EDC for the last month, and I can't even tell it's there. The Mag is silent.

There is clearly something wrong with your light if it is that loud, I'm using plain old AA's in mine with a very slight rattle, but you have to shake it HARD with it near your ear to hear it.

I'd contact your dealer and see about an exchange.

Latest posts