Newegg vs Buy.com

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a comparison of my recent experience buing the same thing from Buy.com and Newegg. There is such a dramatic difference in the customer service between these 2 places that I felt compelled to post about it.

Buy.com
So I'm shopping for a memory card for my phone and while Newegg has what I want at a good price, it just went out of stock. I'm checking other places, and happened to go to buy.com.

I was a doofus and while checking out the shipped price clicked the wrong button and accidentally ordered the card. About 2 minutes later I filled out their "Cancel Order" form because I didn't like their price.

The next day I get an email from them saying that they can't cancel my order because it's already in the shipping system. What a load of crap. Their email doesn't include a number to call to talk to a rep and it looks like I'm going to be stuck with the card or possibly a return shipping fee.

Newegg
So later that day Newegg sends me an email notification that the card is back in stock. I quick login and buy it, but there is a problem with their site accepting my card. It says they will try and resubmit it, so I let it go overnight to see what happens.

Next day I see they tried to resubmit but there was still a problem. I called the number conveniently located in the email, but I'm worried because the card is back out of stock. The guy takes my ccard info and assures me that they hold items for customers until payment issues are resolved.

Then he offers to upgrade my shipping to next day for my trouble (I wasn't complaining, he just offered it). I say "Great! Thanks!". And in response to that he tells me that they are also refunding my shipping charges as well!

Conclusion
Newegg gets my business regardless of price next time. I'm never using buy.com again.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have had good dealings with Newegg and Buy.com but I have never had to contact customer service for either. I really like ZipZoomFly.com for computer parts, however...

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
My priority for online computer related shopping is...

1) ZipZoomFly.com - Far in the lead
2) Newegg.com - Perfectly acceptable but ZZF is simply above the cut for service
3) Buy.com - Prices are often in line. Service is about par for the internet course... (Read not nearly what 1 and 2 offer)
4) Amazon.com - Shiesters but good selection

nethiker

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your experience. I usually check resellerratings.com before I buy from a new store. They are far from perfect, but certainly better than a stab in the dark. Buy.com has a 6 month rating of 2.25 out of 10 compared to Newegg.com's 9.84. I have had good experience with newegg and often direct people there.

I will definately check out zipzoomfly.com. I have never heard of them.

Thanks.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Newegg. I have spent an aweful large amount of money with them over the past few years. I have probably had to deal with them in regards to returns/RMA's 3 times, and each time it went down well.

One particular return worth mentioning was my older Logitech speaker system. The amp on the back of the sub began to rattle badly. I called Logitech cause I have had the system for 9 months or better I do believe. They said they would replace it with the current alternative to that system. At the time, it was a decrease in 100+watts of power and the control unit was not nearly as nice. It also cost a lot less. I was rather unhappy with that so I gave Newegg a try, not expecting much at all, but they were happy to give me my entire purchase paid price as soon as I sent the system back. I quickly turned around and bought another system from them that was way more in price. I was very impressed with them.

Their RMA service now is great. No need for emails. They just instantly give you an RMA number, and ready to send it in. I feel their extra costs, IF ANY, are more than justified.

-Cameron

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have problems with Logitech's tech support, you might want to call the company in Fremont directly. Their tech support is outsourced to some company in Las Vegas. I called them once and got the impression that they may have been located in a correctional facility given some of the responses I got from their phone agent (not responses to technically related issues, just general conversation in passing.)

bobisculous said:
I called Logitech
-Cameron

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the ZZF recommendation, I'll check them out.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll probably find Newegg's customer service to be a bit better and more professional (they also speak English! :) ). I think their parent company is a regional systems integrator (computer assembler), named ABS that was originally out of Georgia (now in City of Industry, CA)

Don't know what Buy's problem is, but they're one of those companies that you're bound to hear more bad things about than good.

dammitjim said:
Thanks for the ZZF recommendation, I'll check them out.

WNG

Enlightened
A thread to warn other cpf-ers of bad online retailers.

From my personal experiences, there is a night/day difference between Newegg and Buy.com.
Buy.com doesn't actually have a stock inventory. There are a 'middleman' broker.
When there's a problem with your order....like how mine was mis-delivered, may heaven help you! Fed Ex delivered it to someone else, who signed for it with 'Bob'.
Therefore, Buy.com states we have 'proof' of delivery. I spend a week volleying emails, finally I get directed to an Indian call center for phone complaints.
Nothing is done. Last response was to go knock on every door in the neighborhood, and go look under the bushes and trees around the building....two weeks after the supposed delivery. Because of the 'Bob' signature, they are not legally obligated to reship or refund.
That's typical of Buy.com customer service.
Avoid them like the plague.

Newegg.com is the real deal. 9/10 the purchases are a smooth and pleasant one.
I did have an ECS motherboard arrive defective and couldn't return it due to my own fault, for waiting too long to test it.

Last edited:

goldenlight

Enlightened
I've purchased a *lot* of stuff from Newegg. Their customer service it the best.

I bought a laser printer, and bought the wrong USB cable for it. (Never used one before; the printer just said 'needs USB cable').

The CS guy at Newegg searched his info, and said that there should have been a specified cable for the printer. He contacted Hewlett Packard, found the right one, and shiped it to me overnight at no additional charge, while apologizing for my trouble. Didn't want the other cable back. Wow.

Very, very few online merchants have this sort of customer service!

I have bought some computer things from other websites, but if the price is at all close, I'd rather give my money to Newegg.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
amen brother! Newegg and Zipzoomfly are both a1 and i have sent a lot of money their way.

ken

Danbo

Enlightened
Newegg rocks the house! I've done a lot of business with them over the last few years, and never had a complaint. Might have to try the zipzoomfly place though.

coppertrail

Enlightened
NewEgg is number one in my book. They've taken care of me when there had been a mix-up on their end. I've ordered once through ZZF, and have found their prices about equal to newegg. Newegg has a better selection.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

I must agree that while newegg may not be the absolute cheapest, though many times they are at the bottom of the list, the $2.00 more for a $300.00 part is well worth their superior customer service. I have had many dealings with newegg and have always come out satisfied.