Most Unscientific Cree Vs Lux , color and bright

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is everything I myself wanted to know about the difference between the cree and the lux.
a 1W lux (3 looked about the same at that power) and a cree.
both of them were just things that were here, just Average stuff, that they send me.
they are both being powered within 2% of eachother.
they are at the same basic angle
they are at the same basic distance
the camera iris and angle is adjusted to show it differentally in the last pic.
at various power levels the results were basically the same.
they are both star things
there is no optics or reflectors
when i put similar optics on, the results were similar looking

http://home.comcast.net/~welkm/creVsLux3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~welkm/creVsLux2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~welkm/creVsLux1.jpg

creVsLux3.jpg

creVsLux2.jpg

creVsLux1.jpg

dont ask me to get more complex than that, cause i dont care, just showing you what i see when i tested for myself. I was skeptical at first, but thats an OK difference for sure.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not wanting to assume anything: what do the three photos represent, from top to bottom? Pretend we're newbies without a clue. Some of us have been here awhile but aren't up to speed in all aspects of this forum.

Thanks!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes indeed the cree is a bit brighter, it is on the right.

if your a newbie, umm.
these are the RAW parts that would be used IN a flashlight, it only shows that there is more light comming from the one part than the other. and the color difference , more bluish for the cree.

these are not "top rated" parts, they are the usual parts you would find in a cheap light, not nessisarily a $400 masterpiece.

Because no additional changes are made to the light via reflectors, and optics, AND because concentrating a Crees light is Different, it does not totally demonstrate how a cree flashlight itself would perform.
EX: a good cree reflector might have to be stippled , orange peeled, shaped ,or "diffused" a bit at the reflector to make the same Beam pattern that a luxon did.

Cameras with electronic light capturing chips , as used here are more sensitive to light differences than the human eye. so they have a lower contrast ratio, so the difference via the camera IS more apparent than to the eyes.

Last edited:

kwkarth

Enlightened
In addition to better efficiency, Looks to me like the color rendition is MUCH better with the cree than the Luxeon. The reds drop out entirely with the Lux on a few of your pics.

I just picked up the new L0D-CE, P1D-CE, and L1D-CE from the Fenix store, and comparing them to my beloved EDC 60XRGT, the color is great, and the brightness of the P1D superior. I still love the ruggedness of my EDC, but the compactness, multi-level functionality, and superior brightness of the P1D is a pretty hard combo to beat. Just my $0.02. I can't wait for a new Cree based EDC creation!