What non Cree/Soul led lights do you plan on keeping?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many of you, I have been reading every review and post of the new Cree/Soul led lights with great envy. I started listing lights on the b/s/t section for extra funds to start buying them. I even listed my SurvivorLED which I really liked. After it did not sell after a couple of days I pulled it. Then I asked myself if brightness is truely everything in a flashlight... what other qualities merrit keeping a lux or 5mm led arround. Here is a list of the leds I do not plan (at least anytime soon) to sell, and why.

1. Energizer Hardcase Tactical...Cool different light that has up to 70 hours of runtime on 2 lith AA's. Survives 20' drop test.

2. SurvivorLED...Super mini-spotlight. I like as well as my t3 incan for long distance illumination. Tough. Survives 30' drop test. Dual battery power. Made for firefighters...should hold up.

3. Inova X5...A clasic. To be called a Flashlightaholic, you should have to show proof of ownership of at least 1 X5. Runs on Dead cr123 batteries. Tough as nails.

What are yours???

photorob

Enlightened
Definitaly will be holdin on to my surefire KL4. There are still no lights out there that can compare with this flood monster.

aml

Newly Enlightened
there are quite a few incan models i am keeping. but im working towards getting my Luxeon lights swapped over to the new stuff.

except my x5, of course.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
every single one of my lights does exactally what it was designed to do, and before "cree" existed, i never thought "hey, i cant SEE what i need to see with this light". of course there is always the "Hey my light is brighter than yours" but where does that get anyone.
Sooo
anything that is easily modable, will be modded, anything that isnt, will work just as good as it did when i didnt know better, or cree did not exist. the same would not be true for my incadescent junk.

there are vast percentages of humans in existance today, forking over big bucks for primary batteries, that still dont know the purpose of a LED, or want to fork over the $$$ for them. they survive without LED altogether.

a better questions for me, is do i go for EVEN more runtime, when most of my lights run for as long as needed already, or more brightness.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Quite a few 5mm lights, and I believe that good 5mm leds these days are as efficient as Crees. I only have a couple of Luxeon lights right now. I don't plan on selling either of them but I suppose both might be candidates for SSC mods.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have some lights that I bought just to collect them. I realized two years ago that I can't always tell the difference between bright and brighter. Occasionally I'll need a brighter light, but that's usually because I'm peering into a dark spot while I'm in full sunlight.

I thought about upgrading the first light I made. It is only one watt, and has an S bin lux III. Then I thought better of it. All of my "firsts" will remain as is.

I'll be building a new light soon, and it will be multi level using a Soeul P4. None of my old ones will be modded. Neither will any of the stock lights in my collection.

Daniel

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
[font=ARIAL, VERDANA, HELVETICA][font=ARIAL, VERDANA, HELVETICA]Surefire U2 and all of my HDS lights.[/font][/font][font=ARIAL, VERDANA, HELVETICA][font=ARIAL, VERDANA, HELVETICA]

:candle:
[/font]
[/font]

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of them, I agree with VidPro. The non Cree lights that are working fine will continue to work fine when I get more Cree lights. My 5 watt NightCutter M60L with a modified McGizmo reflector is the one light that goes with me nearly everywhere. It never was one of my brightest lights, but the nice even flood it puts out works fine for me when I do not want to carry other lights. My Gladiuses spend most of their time being used on Low so a Cree is not going to help them. Even on high they are fine for their intended purpose.
One of my favorite around the house lights is a cheap chinese 1 watt prototype I was given a couple of years ago. It is bright enough for around the house and has a great feel to it.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
My GatLight v2 is certainly a keeper, even though it is probably too difficult to upgrade. I ordered a v3 today, (of course).
I have one CR2 Ion with the old-type Cree XLamp because it's floodier than the XR-E.

I can't upgrade my "BLIMP" because the head seems to be welded on. Probably not worth it anyway.

I'll upgrade my Mags.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened
- Surefire U2 - still a very great light. To me the U2 is a nearly perfect light.
- Wiseled Tactical - obvious reasons. a unique beautiful, performance light. there is no replacement.
- Fenix P1 - i love the simplicity. it's been my EDC for a while now and i plan on keeping it that way

Energie

Enlightened
My Milky M-L1 with a Luxeon Emitter.

I´ve tried another Surefire L1 (old style) with a Seoul P4/McR 18 reflector, a Surefire L1 (old style) with a Cree/McR 17 cutdown reflector and a Surefire L1 (currend style) with a Seoul P4/McR 20S reflector.
Minimal more flood, minimal brighter but no great difference to the M-L1.

jlomein

Enlightened
Even after the Surefire E1X/E2X come out, I think I will still buy a KL4 head, because everyone raves about how floody it is.

veleno

Enlightened
Inova X5 (nichia led's) and Arc AAA-P. :)

I sold the Fenix P1, but it hasn't been a good idea... I don't like the new P1D and P1D-CE.

BillMPL

Newly Enlightened
AndyTiedye said:
I can't upgrade my "BLIMP" because the head seems to be welded on. Probably not worth it anyway.
Don't want to sidetrack this thread, but let me just say that it is well worth it in my opinion. The light locked in a vice and a strap wrench got the head off, then it was simple to swap the stars out. My blimp is now brighter than the pd1-ce and out throws my SL Luxeon poly!

BTW, my SL Luxeon poly's will always remain in my arsenal.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep those:

Fenix L2T
Fenix L0D Natural (Just because I love too much its LED tint and the anodizing.)
MAG-LED 2D (I tried to mod 1 to Cree but after it worked, it failed. Came back to the original MAG-LED drop-in and I'll keep it like this.)
Arc AAA-P (I keep it on my keychain even if I have the L0D-CE. I just like it's long runtime and not too bright beam.)
Fenix E0 (Same as Arc AAA-P comment but this one is on my girlfriend's keychain.)

They almost all will be shelf queens and I like them too much to sell them!