I'm losing my job.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
CompUSA is closing more than 100 stores....and i'm going down with it.

hmm...I remember just responding to a post about the recent closures of Circuit City stores not too long ago...and today I get a call from my manager telling me to be prepared to be laid off in the next few days.....DAYS!!!

I'm 26, I still live at home, still go to college....I see and here about people losing their jobs but it's something you just never would think would happen to yourself. YEA....that's my naivety showing!

I'm not complaining about my situation. I'm not looking for simpathy either. I'm just venting....I guess I'm mostly in a state of shock. This new reality has given me a new perspective and a real sympathy for those that have lost their livelihoods due to layoffs and unemployment. I've been with this company for almost 3 years....I can only imagine people who've lost their jobs after 13 years...or 30 years.

What I feel is more than just loss for a JOB. In 3 years i've made many connections and friends; I've learned and experienced many valuable lessons about life; I've grown because of this job....so i feel like i've lost more than JUST a JOB.

Well...I guess this is a blessing in disguise. I get to spend more time with my studies in hopes to graduate soon...and hopefully find a job that can offer some kind of security. Yes...i'm fortunate to have my parents to support me this long. THIS makes me appreciate them

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear....

Nowadays, its pretty rough; job stability isn't what it used to be, with mega MNCs shutting down operations all over the place when the need for 'cost-cutting' and 'delayering' come about.

You're still young and are studying too; so treat it as a fresh start. It might be much better. Maybe those 'connections' you've made can also help you look for some new opportunities.

Take care and cut down on those lights purchases :D

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Sorry for that, man :(

I can tell you that actually, no Job can offer security...my personal experience of unemployment (2 years now) at 47 years old is very bad, you have one chance you are young and you could find a new job soon without much problems (I hope for you).
In my case, after 2 years fruitless searching, I decided to studies again, yeah school ;) I will start studies in april for 20 months to obtain a master graduate (Ingénieur in French) and maybe I will find a job more easyly.
I understand your thought because it was really difficult for me when my company closed and put me unemployed after 15 years of good services.

Don't be desperate, it is like you said another valuable experience and lesson of life !!

I wish you good luck, man !!

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
That sucks man...

I know how it feels too... A few years ago, I asked my boss if I could go home a couple of hours early, because I had to go to the bank to sign the papers for a mortgage to buy a house. He told me that I might want to rethink that decision, because business was bad and in 3 months time he wouldn't be able to pay my salary anymore...

So I cancelled my appointment at the bank and made a new one at the unemployment office... Today I still haven't bought a house...

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
That sucks man...

I know how it feels too... A few years ago, I asked my boss if I could go home a couple of hours early, because I had to go to the bank to sign the papers for a mortgage to buy a house. He told me that I might want to rethink that decision, because business was bad and in 3 months time he wouldn't be able to pay my salary anymore...

So I cancelled my appointment at the bank and made a new one at the unemployment office... Today I still haven't bought a house...
I did the exact opposite. When I knew I was going to be getting out of the US Navy, I decided to go ahead and buy a house while I still had a good paycheck and employment history. I figured that once I had a place of my own, I would do whatever it took to keep it. But it might be hard to get financing after I left the Navy and only had a short time in a new job that would probably be at a lower pay rate also. And by going with a fairly small affordable home, I didn't have any problems making my payments as I left the Navy and started a new job.

Dawg

Enlightened
You are obviously a very intelligent person and I am sure your parents are quite proud of you. Enjoy your youth and continue on your path.

I am employed at a company that the owner only keeps going because he has too much debt to get out.

My wife is disabled and gets a pittance from Social Security that while appreciated does not pay for much. My health is declining at a pretty rapid pace and I do all I can to conceal it from those close to me.

There is hardly a day that goes by that I wish I could just go to sleep and never wake up.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's plenty of jobs out there.

Or, you could always join up with a branch of the military to get out of the house and develope a good employment record with.
Then finish up your college afterwards. ;)
Just a thought.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I got fired a few years ago. . . it still hurts. Then I went self-employed, and got seriously ripped-off by one client in particular. . . and that hurts, too.

All filed under hard learned lessons. The way I see it, I'm now never in one place much more than two years. I have short-term loyalty to my employers, and I don't expect them to offer a job for life. Having said that, my wife is home right now, with the children, so if I lost this job (say, for posting on CPF when I should be working) I'd be in trouble.

And Dawg: I feel your pain. I work with people with disabilities, and I talk to carers a lot, so I know where you are coming from. I wish there was something I could say that wouldn't be patronising and naive.

BUZ

Enlightened
Sorry to hear that, one reason I love working for myself!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're right to re-focus on your education: that is one avenue to bettering your chances. What are you studying? It might be worth your while to look at professions with good outlooks (male nursing? engineering? aircraft mechanic? teaching?) and considering aiming your education to get a better shot at one of them. Most of them require some (or lots) of techie courses, but most people here have that bent anyway, and you might as well apply it to your future in a disciplined way.

Give your parents a plan and your schedule, in all fairness to them (XX degree by this time, job and out by that time...), hunker down, and do it.

Another path is entrepeneurship, but I think those who have that talent already know it.

Good luck...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My condolences LEDagent and anyone else without employment. I know how you might feel as I've lost three jobs since 2000 - two, right before Christmas and one on the Friday before Labor Day (no holiday pay).

At least you're not in your 50s with children, mortgage, wife out of work and no insurance. Not to rain on your problems, but sometimes it helps to know things could be worse. That's one of the thoughts I try to keep in mind. Luckily I wasn't born in Somalia, Darfur, Iraq, etc. I think financial problems are better than serious health issues or losing loved ones.

It's good to learn, early, that everything on Earth is temporary. Good luck and hopefully this trial will, in fact, be a blessing. It was an event beyond your control, so don't beat yourself up too much, LED.

Rando

Enlightened
For lack of a less abrasive term, that sucks. I got laid off with zero notice two years ago. I went into work on a Friday morning and by noon I was standing in the parking lot with two dozen others holding boxes. The really crummy thing about it was that they actively recruited new hires right up until the crash. A month earlier I was working somewhere else.

I know that it feels awful right now, but I can tell you that I'm at a place now where I love my job, enjoy what I do, and work with great people. Oh, and I'm making about 30% more than I was. Tough times may be ahead, but things usually have a way of working out. Hang in there.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
When one door closes God opens another. I got a new job in 2001 right before I was laid off with the rest of the company. After working there a couple years my salary almost doubled. Then I was laid off late in 2003 and found a better job and have been there ever since and my salary is now three times what I made in 2001.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have talent and skill, you would be doing another employer a serious injustice by not applying for work there.
Plus, some of your friends may yet, be able to come along too. :grouphug:
Don't give up. :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um ... yeah.
I don't think you were planning on making it your life's work were you?
You're in a major urban area, the second largest in all of California, I'd think that there would be plenty of opportunities in retail in the area, many probably pay more than what you were making at Comp anyway. If you aren't quite ready to look into something that is closer your course of studies, you can still take the experiences that you've gained and put them to use elsewhere. (I hear Costco pays and treats their employees pretty well, and you can apply online.)

LEDagent said:
Well...I guess this is a blessing in disguise.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I just got home from work and there was a definate change in moral from my team (obviously). Most of them are young, and new to the company, and a handful of us are the few "veterans" left. It's hard to pinpoint exactly the mood right now, but it's mostly a mixture of shock, confusion, and, to quote a friend, "shafted."

The customers also feel shafted. I sold 4 things today and the rest of my 8 hours I spend talking (almost consoling) customers when confronted with the news. They were suprisingly more shocked that we were...and I don't blame them. Our store had such a great customer focused team that we were a prefered location for customers that even had CompUSA stores closer by. The company as a whole was the only company I knew about that actually put in place several test programs SOLELY for customer service experience. The effects definantly took hold with the customers as I've had many referals and converts to the company. In my opinion, we were doing something right, the customers knew it, and are outraged that CompUSA would eliminate so many stores - especially in such competitive areas such as San Diego, Orange county, and YES even Los Angeles. The nearest store to anyone down here would be 300 miles away in Bakersfield. As to why they would chose Bakersfield over ANY store in Southern California is beyond me....And I really feel for customers who are now left with LESS choice, and honestly, without a BETTER alternative.

We ARE all young and we will bounce back, but I was worried for those that were with the company for 8-10 years, in their 40s and 50s, and left with nothing else but bit of severance pay and a pat on the back. Also, we just got a new general manager who left his Las Vegas store to be with us in San Diego. We were such a good team that he saw great potential in us and in his career, so he moved his family and bought a house here. 2 months later...this happens. The Las Vegas store will still remain open, but I won't blame him for not wanting to stay with this company any longer.

All your comments offer great insight, and backup many of the positive ideas I have already. I've read many other posts of other members losing their jobs and I regretfully rarely replied to their posts, mostly because I clueless of this type of situation.

Apparently they're giving us 90 days before they close for good, and severance pay to those that hang on for the ride. But from what i've heard from other people that have experienced retail store closures.....i'll be taking their word with a grain of salt. They could just as easily retract severance pay (or reduce it at least) and they could close sooner....maybe 3-5 weeks tops. They've already sent in liquidators today to assess the store, and tomorrow, merchandise will begin their discounts. If things move quickly....the last product out means we close the security gates for the last time. Its weird how much an attachment you get to a place in so short a time.

myk

Enlightened
Be sure to grab anything rediculously cheap, specifically RAM, harddrives, LCD monitors and HDTVs - you could spend a few months just living off of your ebay profits =)

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
it sucks to have change forced on you. But I've worked retail and it sucked. As you've learned there is no job security, and the pay and working conditions suck.

Nowdays everybody works multiple jobs, there aren't many corporate positions where you can keep working for the same company for 30 years anymore, and even if there were I wouldn't want one ;)

It a pain to change things, and there will be some time in the interm where you'll be short of cash. But ultimately your next job will build on this, and the next one on that until you're much better off.

As other folks have already mentioned, this is the time to be switching jobs! Before you have kids and a mortgage of your own! (though student loans can feel like a mortgage...) This is the best time left in your life to be jobless and searching ;)

Good Luck!

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are obviously a very intelligent person and I am sure your parents are quite proud of you. Enjoy your youth and continue on your path.

I am employed at a company that the owner only keeps going because he has too much debt to get out.

My wife is disabled and gets a pittance from Social Security that while appreciated does not pay for much. My health is declining at a pretty rapid pace and I do all I can to conceal it from those close to me.

There is hardly a day that goes by that I wish I could just go to sleep and never wake up.

PM sent 4/09/2008